Continuous Lighting Options

Edit My Images
No
Okay, so I'm a total novice to studio work, and have been using halogen 'site lights' for the past year for doing talking head white background videos for products.

I've had some dodgy outcomes, but with trial and error and a lot of in camera adjustments, I usually get something that's okay.

However, I want to move to fluorescent lighting.

I have a few things I want in my mind:

1. They should run cool.
2. They shouldn't be so sore on electricity, since I can have them on for hours at a time.
3. They need to be silent.
4. They can't be too expensive. I don't have £1,000 for this.
5. Preferably quite small/portable as I don't have a lot of room.

What are my options? What's out there?

There's kino flo lighting, and film gear make a version of this but you won't have much change from 4 grand for 2x4ft heads, cables balasts.

Cheaper fluorescent lighting flickers and isn't white balanced to tungsten or daylight tubes like the professional lighting, hence the price.

There's a video on making an LED version fully water proof. We made a cheap version and colour balanced it using gels then diffed it up to give a softer light. fully submersible and runs off battery, cost about £50 for the bits. You'd have to have a fair few of these though for studio lighting.

EDIT

and the link

https://vimeo.com/28317446

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've been on here, but did Lencarta not do continuous lighting solutions that were reasonable?

the lencarta one's meant to be pretty good.

LEDs are nice but expensive

Tungsten is cheap but very hot and eats power.

Have a look at the Paterson units. Some fairly large outputs available, but I'm not sure how good they are with Video

Back