Contrast

I can't really comment on its artistic merits, but it's a nice image.

Really nice Gav. I think you could go darker on the (camera) RH side of the face but this is gonna be a marmite portrait for a lot of people. Me, I like it.

I think you could also go tighter on the crop as the jacket adds little. It's the eyes that make this photo for me.

(y)

Really nice Gav. I think you could go darker on the (camera) RH side of the face but this is gonna be a marmite portrait for a lot of people. Me, I like it.

I think you could also go tighter on the crop as the jacket adds little. It's the eyes that make this photo for me.

(y)
Thank you, Ian, I wanted to go darker but wasn't sure where to stop, I'll take another look with fresh eyes and also look at a tighter crop. I'll post an edit here.

May try B&W too.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated (y)

I probably would have tried a little more rembrandt/split lighting... you're kind of right on the edge between loop and rembrandt; maybe it's the fill camera right that's lightening it a bit too much (reflector?).

But none of that means it would be any better... IDK (and of course, it's all just opinion anyway).

I probably would have tried a little more rembrandt/split lighting... you're kind of right on the edge between loop and rembrandt; maybe it's the fill camera right that's lightening it a bit too much (reflector?).

But none of that means it would be any better... IDK (and of course, it's all just opinion anyway).
Cheers Steven, I was aiming for Rembrandt but didn't quiet pull it off, I think I had the set up a little to close to the white wall RH side (plus angles a tad off).

Thank you for the feedback (y)

That's a very nice portrait style capture Gav, works for me very well.

"I'd be interested to see a mono version of the same shot maybe with a bit more contrast"

Nice. Would again work as an album cover (square crop) IMHO.

I wonder how many are being triggered by Blondie's "Parallel Lines" :)
(Cracking cover though!)

My first thought was "Emma Peel" from the Avengers (but then I`m am an ancient old bugger) ;)

Nice work, Gav (y)

Original idea and good implementation Gav! Congratulations! Have you tried a black and white portrait, how would it look?

Original idea and good implementation Gav! Congratulations! Have you tried a black and white portrait, how would it look?
Thank you, Constantin, I'm going to have a look at an edit an post it up soon (y)

Great image. I think the colour crop is fab.

Like the pov you've taken this from.

Gaz

Colour 4 me. Black & white adds too much... black & white.... It takes away from the thought behind having that black & white background. Your model has very striking eyes and it's lost a little in the B&W conversion (for me).

Crop is better IMO. What do you think?

Colour 4 me. Black & white adds too much... black & white.... It takes away from the thought behind having that black & white background. Your model has very striking eyes and it's lost a little in the B&W conversion (for me).

Crop is better IMO. What do you think?
Thank you, Ian.

I much prefer the colour, I also like the tighter crop. I think playing with the levels has upset the colours a bit, but I'll reshoot this with a better set up, I'll find a way to get the BG split a clean line too as the fabric wasn't crisp enough.

I like it, but I'd like it more if the black & white of the background had some kind of motivation - such as being cast by something in the image. Possibly your partner's shadow, possibly something else. Or maybe being a feature of the room. It'd look less contrived, more energetic, less like a photographic exercise.

I've tried to do this kind of thing a lot over the years - and don't always succeed!

fwiw composition theorists call this effect simultaneous contrast. It's worth going down that rabbit hole for a bit :)

I like it, but I'd like it more if the black & white of the background had some kind of motivation - such as being cast by something in the image. Possibly your partner's shadow, possibly something else. Or maybe being a feature of the room. It'd look less contrived, more energetic, less like a photographic exercise.

I've tried to do this kind of thing a lot over the years - and don't always succeed!

fwiw composition theorists call this effect simultaneous contrast. It's worth going down that rabbit hole for a bit :)
Thank you, Simon, I'll have a think about this and see what I can come up with.

Thank you for the thoughts and feedback.

Back