contre-jour + speedlites ?

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning a shot, contre-jour at sunrise using speedlites to light the model.
I can set up 3 yn460 II with a shoot through or reflective brolly at say about 30to 45deg to the lens as close as possible, maybe a reflector to soften the shadows. The location means things need to be portable and ATM my budget will not run to Lencarta Li-on or the like.

My question to the guys on here who know lighting is that likely to be enough light, I do have 2 sb900 as well but setting 5 lights into a brolly may get difficult.

Although it is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question I am hoping some of the photographer on who do a lot of lighting work can give me a ballpark idea.

Thanks

Hi,

Actually, ambient light at sunset and sunrise is not hugely bright and you should be ok with the initial set up you mentioned. Fighting the sun at midday is another matter and needs plenty of PUNCH. Getting the light close is important. I am a big fan of the shoot through brolly. depends how hard you want your light.

Experiment and do a few dry runs. 3 medium power flashguns will give you loads of options.

Try a bit of Roy's organic lighting control. rather then blowing money on light diffusers try a supermarket carrier bag or two. Rumpled up and taped around the head. I find Tescos gives a blue tinge where is Sainsburys warms things up!

Let me know how it goes for you. I really hope you get some fantastic images.

Roy

www.royriley.co.uk

Thanks for that Roy, your web site is an inspiration and has brought back so many great memories to an old 60s surf bum in and around Treyarnon Bay I can still smell it and feel the adrenalin from catching a wave.

At sunrise the light levels are going to be low enough to get away with using one gun... But I would use your two SB,s one in the umbrella close to the model and off to one side a touch. The other I would jell 1/2 cto and fire it behind the model s a rim light then under expose the sky by a stop to really bring the colours out... Maybe.? But until your there you won't know what the lights going to be like?!

Thanks for that ,the location has a rock about 6ft high and for about 10 mins around sunrise the model can stand legs apart with the sun between them. So not much time to get it right , the aim was to expose for an orange sun and let the sky be what ever it is then use flash to expose the model, I had not thought about rim light maybe the sun will do it but it is a good idea to have flash ready use.

Back