Controversial Topic: What irks you about other photographers?

Me too... If I use a smiley, I'm joking. If I want to insult someone, I come right out and say it. Honesty is the best policy.

Why not just accept it face value. Smiley means good humour..... and stop being paranoid :)

They are mobile phones, not cameras.

Sorry but i read from the start the first 5 pages then gave up hoping i wouldn't post the same irk as another member but why not it's my irk !
So.
Pro Photographers that have 2 or 3 expensive Body/Lens combo's slung around their neck all banging together or they throw one on the ground to facilitate the use of another.

Sorry but i read from the start the first 5 pages then gave up hoping i wouldn't post the same irk as another member but why not it's my irk !
So.
Pro Photographers that have 2 or 3 expensive Body/Lens combo's slung around their neck all banging together or they throw one on the ground to facilitate the use of another.

But sometimes you've got to get the shot,and i think most pro camera & lens can take the stick :)

So.

I do see what you mean I couldn't afford to abuse my gear like that but to a pro they are tools and its vital to them that they dont miss a shot

So it's OK for an amateur to treat their cameras that way? :D

photographers who treat lenses like penis extenstions... the "look at the size of my lens" who look down there nose at your standard kit lens yet still cant a decent shot for toffee. These same people normally have more money than sense and think buying the biggest and best camera and lens is going to make them a better photographer.

I agree totally. But there is another extreme...

Those with crappy gear who put down photographers with pro kit just because they haven't got it.

Random.....what are?
There is a clue within the description of the product.
i.e. smart phone/mobile phone. Not smart camera phone/ mobile camera phone.
It's not rocket science!!!

There is a clue within the description of the product.
i.e. smart phone/mobile phone. Not smart camera phone/ mobile camera phone.
It's not rocket science!!!

They also have cameras built in, genius; some of them better than the average PAS. :rolleyes:

What’s the benefit of a compact camera?
Although the iPhone 5s and Lumia 1020 performed well in our testing, they are both flagship handsets from two of the biggest mobile manufacturers – it would have actually been more of a surprise if they had failed to shine in our tests. Photos from more affordable phones, like the 5Mp Lumia 520 or Samsung Galaxy Ace with LED flash, lacked the same quality. In fact the Galaxy Ace ranked last in our testing, with its panoramas proving particularly poor and captured colours carrying an unnatural sheen.

Compacts can be relied to consistently produce better shots in low light, and also provided better shots when the zoom function was used.

This is because the vast majority of smartphones feature a smaller lens size when compared to their compact cousins – so restricting the amount of illumination they can capture in shots. Plus compact cameras possess an optical zoom instead of a digital one, this means a compact’s lens will adjust itself to achieve a clearer image.

Cameras are better, technically....end of!!!

What’s the benefit of a compact camera?
Although the iPhone 5s and Lumia 1020 performed well in our testing, they are both flagship handsets from two of the biggest mobile manufacturers – it would have actually been more of a surprise if they had failed to shine in our tests. Photos from more affordable phones, like the 5Mp Lumia 520 or Samsung Galaxy Ace with LED flash, lacked the same quality. In fact the Galaxy Ace ranked last in our testing, with its panoramas proving particularly poor and captured colours carrying an unnatural sheen.

Compacts can be relied to consistently produce better shots in low light, and also provided better shots when the zoom function was used.

This is because the vast majority of smartphones feature a smaller lens size when compared to their compact cousins – so restricting the amount of illumination they can capture in shots. Plus compact cameras possess an optical zoom instead of a digital one, this means a compact’s lens will adjust itself to achieve a clearer image.

Cameras are better, technically....end of!!!
I think you may have the wrong thread:p

It's a lovely day..I'm going out with my CAMERA. :wave:

I won't. Unlike most mobile phone users, I will be looking where I am going.

After returning to photography again after a few years away, i was reminded of something that really annoys me whilst at Tatton park this weekend. That is photographers who walk in front of you while your framing your shot to get their shot. I expect it from non photographers, kids and the generally ignorant but not from those who supposedly understand the hobby. This has probably already been mentioned but it's too late for me to read 15 pages of comments!

After returning to photography again after a few years away, i was reminded of something that really annoys me whilst at Tatton park this weekend. That is photographers who walk in front of you while your framing your shot to get their shot. I expect it from non photographers, kids and the generally ignorant but not from those who supposedly understand the hobby. This has probably already been mentioned but it's too late for me to read 15 pages of comments!

You could look it at another way photographers who take so long to frame and your waiting to get the shot,and you know what you want the light right and the moment right,and the only way your going to get the shot is to move quickly :)

You could look it at another way photographers who take so long to frame and your waiting to get the shot,and you know what you want the light right and the moment right,and the only way your going to get the shot is to move quickly :)

Good point but it obviously depends on the situation and what's around you. For example when people were moving in front of me at my kids sports day I can quite understand because everyone wanted a decent shot of their kids, it was like a free for all lol, but on the other hand if I was out in the wild in the middle of nowhere getting some long exposures then it would be a different story.

I was shooting some star trails at Loch Morlich a while back and there was loads of places to stand but this other photographer decided to set up right infront of me when he could hear my shutter going. Loch morlic isn't the sort of place where there's limited spaces to get decent shots. Wherever you point your camera is a great shot. I was fuming, he nearly knew what it felt like to have a tripod head embedded in his face lol

Last edited:
Good point but it obviously depends on the situation and what's around you. For example when people were moving in front of me at my kids sports day I can quite understand because everyone wanted a decent shot of their kids, it was like a free for all lol, but on the other hand if I was out in the wild in the middle of nowhere getting some long exposures then it would be a different story.

I was shooting some star trails at Loch Morlich a while back and there was loads of places to stand but this other photographer decided to set up right infront of me when he could hear my shutter going. Loch morlic isn't the sort of place where there's limited spaces to get decent shots. Wherever you point your camera is a great shot. I was fuming, he nearly knew what it felt like to have a tripod head embedded in his face lol

I agree with you that could be so :mad:,as you say it all depends on the situation :)

Having a stressful day today so I thought a mini-rant on here might cheer me up!

Some things that annoying me about about some photographers...

• Overly enthusiastic amateurs who bother me about gear while I'm out shooting. I've been doing some medium format stuff recently with a TLR camera and it's like moths to a lightbulb! I don't mind the odd comment here and there or a nod of recognition from a fellow photographer, but stopping me mid-shooting to have a chat is incredibly annoying. Especially when it's street photography and I'm actively trying to down play the fact that I'm taking photographs.

• Similar to above - seeing I have camera gear and for some reason thinking that what I'm missing in life is an incredibly long conversation about your camera gear. Some guy stopped me mid-shot in Manchester and decided to chat about his choice of camera body for what seemed like aeons. It's never general topics either, always super ridiculous stuff that clearer doesn't matter - coatings on a UV filter or some such nonsense. I really just want to say outright 'I don't care!', but I'm not that mean, so I usually stand around going 'yeah... ahuh... yeah.... sure.... yeah... yip' for a while.

• Leica-w******s and their pathetic worshiping of all things leica even when it clearly cannot be backed up or quantified by testing / results. A good example is their attitude toward Voigtlander lenses... There are many great Voigtlander lenses which, IMO, can't be distinguished from their Leica opposites in a photograph, and even if they could it's from such a minor minor minor detail that the vast increase in cost simply isn't justifiable. Cue your typical Leica-w****r coming up with the usual 'my Leica body cost £X, using anything other than leica glass is sacrilege'.

• Pixel-peepers like those found at dpreview. Good God what a miserable bunch of people. Moaning on about absolutely minor details that you'd only notice in photoshop at 200% if you really really look. 9/10 times you look at the pictures these photographers take and they're absolute crud. It's incredible damaging for beginners who get caught up in this line of thinking - that the route to good photography is via equipment.

• Lomographers. And hipster photographers in general for that matter.

• Art School type photographers. Opposite end of the spectrum to pixel-peepers. Massive lack of any talent but they'll just mask it behind utter drivel. "I'm highlighting the duality of man. How our inner-spirit....." Nah mate, it's an underexposed, badly focused, badly developed, image of your mate with a traffic cone on his head.

• Jared Polin <singing>fro-knows-pho-to</singing>. What a massive egotistical talentless k******d. He's the Pewdepie of youtube photography.

• Photographers who watermark and cling onto images like their life depends on it. Seriously, who do you think is going to be stealing a head and shoulders shot of your grandmother? And those photographers who wont email a jpg file to you for an image with absolutely no commercial or editorial value whatsoever for personal use.

• Photographers who believe in a hierarchy of genres or that certain methods of shooting, eg film, are better than others. Get over yourself you pretentious t***s. Once again these photographers are just usually covering for their lack of talent. Don't know anything about lighting? That's fine, just pretend that only available light portrait in B&W is 'keeping it real'!

• Photographers that use the straw man argument to put down others work, e.g. 'I don't find planes interesting, therefore all photography of planes is rubbish and people who photograph them have no talent'.

• Photographers that get upset if a 'less talented' photographer has 'better gear'. Get over it. Why should it matter to you if someone can afford to put down £10k on a Leica M + lenses for their first set-up. If anything it's great for all photographers as it can result in a better s/h sales of such gear. Some hobbyists can afford high-end dSLR just like some people can afford an Aston Martin as a round-around car. That's life.

• Photographers that refuse/resist passing their skills on. I know it's tough making a living in photography, but we all relied on someone else when we started. None of us worked it out 100% from scratch.

• Those photographers you see on youtube who cause a massive scene with Police/Security. I'm not talking about the ones who legitimately stand up for their rights... I'm taking about the small minority who seems to have some sort of disorder where they need to be the centre of a tornado of drama. Usually screaming about freedom of speech and whatnot. These guys make life so much harder for the rest of us.

Phew. That was a long rant! Told you I was having a bad day! haha.

Last edited:
......mmm, wouldn't have scratched that Peed off itch though. Forget my last post lol.

Indeed I was at a country house once and sad down on a bench for a rest, only to be told by a member of staff I had to move as they had someone there taking a photo, this woman was hiding in a bush to get the angle she wanted/was commissioned to get...according to this member of staff she had been trying to get the perfect photo for a week :eek: frankly I didn't rate her chances that day either as the light was horrid...

Having a stressful day today so I thought a mini-rant on here might cheer me up!

• Overly enthusiastic amateurs who bother me about gear while I'm out shooting. I've been doing some medium format stuff recently with a TLR camera and it's like moths to a lightbulb! I don't mind the odd comment here and there or a nod of recognition from a fellow photographer, but stopping me mid-shooting to have a chat is incredibly annoying. Especially when it's street photography and I'm actively trying to down play the fact that I'm taking photographs.

• Similar to above - seeing I have camera gear and for some reason thinking that what I'm missing in life is an incredibly long conversation about your camera gear. Some guy stopped me mid-shot in Manchester and decided to chat about his choice of camera body for what seemed like aeons. It's never general topics either, always super ridiculous stuff that clearer doesn't matter - coatings on a UV filter or some such nonsense. I really just want to say outright 'I don't care!', but I'm not that mean, so I usually stand around going 'yeah... ahuh... yeah.... sure.... yeah... yip' for a while.

• Leica-w******s and their pathetic worshiping of all things leica even when it clearly cannot be backed up or quantified by testing / results. A good example is their attitude toward Voigtlander lenses... There are many great Voigtlander lenses which, IMO, can't be distinguished from their Leica opposites in a photograph, and even if they could it's from such a minor minor minor detail that the vast increase in cost simply isn't justifiable. Cue your typical Leica-w****r coming up with the usual 'my Leica body cost £X, using anything other than leica glass is sacrilege'.

• Pixel-peepers like those found at dpreview. Good God what a miserable bunch of people. Moaning on about absolutely minor details that you'd only notice in photoshop at 200% if you really really look. 9/10 times you look at the pictures these photographers take and they're absolute crud. It's incredible damaging for beginners who get caught up in this line of thinking - that the route to good photography is via equipment.

• Lomographers. And hipster photographers in general for that matter.

• Art School type photographers. Opposite end of the spectrum to pixel-peepers. Massive lack of any talent but they'll just mask it behind utter drivel. "I'm highlighting the duality of man. How our inner-spirit....." Nah mate, it's an underexposed, badly focused, badly developed, image of your mate with a traffic cone on his head.

• Jared Polin <singing>fro-knows-pho-to</singing>. What a massive egotistical talentless k******d. He's the Pewdepie of youtube photography.

• Photographers who watermark and cling onto images like their life depends on it. Seriously, who do you think is going to be stealing a head and shoulders shot of your grandmother? And those photographers who wont email a jpg file to you for an image with absolutely no commercial or editorial value whatsoever for personal use.

• Photographers who believe in a hierarchy of genres or that certain methods of shooting, eg film, are better than others. Get over yourself you pretentious t***s. Once again these photographers are just usually covering for their lack of talent. Don't know anything about lighting? That's fine, just pretend that only available light portrait in B&W is 'keeping it real'!

• Photographers that use the straw man argument to put down others work, e.g. 'I don't find planes interesting, therefore all photography of planes is rubbish and people who photograph them have no talent'.

• Photographers that get upset if a 'less talented' photographer has 'better gear'. Get over it. Why should it matter to you if someone can afford to put down £10 on a Leica M + lenses for their first set-up. If anything it's great for all photographers as it can result in a better s/h sales of such gear. Some hobbyists can afford high-end dSLR just like some people can afford an Aston Martin as a round-around car. That's life.

• Photographers that refuse/resist passing their skills on. I know it's tough making a living in photography, but we all relied on someone else when we started. None of us worked it out 100% from scratch.

• Those photographers you see on youtube who cause a massive scene with Police/Security. I'm not talking about the ones who legitimately stand up for their rights... I'm taking about the small minority who seems to have some sort of disorder where they need to be the centre of a tornado of drama. Usually screaming about freedom of speech and whatnot. These guys make life so much harder for the rest of us.

Phew. That was a long rant! Told you I was having a bad day! haha.

That's a quality rant, I read it twice and still not found anything I disagree with (y)

• Photographers that get upset if a 'less talented' photographer has 'better gear'. Get over it. Why should it matter to you if someone can afford to put down £10k on a Leica M + lenses for their first set-up. If anything it's great for all photographers as it can result in a better s/h sales of such gear. Some hobbyists can afford high-end dSLR just like some people can afford an Aston Martin as a round-around car. That's life.
How can you list those 2 together.

Good, if contradictory, rant.

I think you've missed the point of the Leica part....

The cost of the Leica gear has nothing to do with it. It's about blind faith from a certain circle of rangefinder users who refuse to acknowledge instances where lenses from other manufacturers are clearly on par, sometimes better, or can come to within negligible range for a fraction of the cost. These Lecia-fanboys are the sort who will look down their nose at you because you're quite happy to use a, say, voigtlander 50 1.5 nokton on a M. They'll be like 'why spend £5k on the body to cripple it with such terrible glass?'. Even though in many instances the 'other glass' can cost way more than a cruddy copy of the equivilent Leica lens.

I'm sure anyone into rangefinders will instantly recognise the stereotype I'm talking about!

Back