Controversial Topic: What irks you about other photographers?

The Canon vs Nikon thing is annoying. I doubt it'll change anyone's mind and make them sell up without thought.
The raw vs Jpeg debate is another thing, who cares what anybody else shoots as long as they get the results they want. I shoot whatever is best in the situation I'm in or both if I'm not sure.
The great PP debate is annoying and boring for me. Each to his own, if someone is happy with the results without needing or using PP why are they subjected to the same old arguments time after time by people who usually think they're a cut above everyone else cause they use PP.
Watermarks, okay the small ones are fine but the big ones that obscure the image and detract from what they're asking you to look at and admire the photo.

Apart from that I really don't mind what anyone else does.

Last edited:
Raw is the only way to shoot........until I start shooting jpeg then that will be the only way to shoot.

PP as little as possible. Got better things to do in life.

A lot have been mentioned already.

People who can see you are set up to take a picture, and then step in the way. Yes, it's a free world, but have some consideration. :rolleyes:

Photographers with expensive gear who think all other photographers must get out of their way. An expensive camera is not a password for the world to part out of the way if you didn't get to a location first. It's a nice feeling when photographers take each other into consideration, even if no words are exchanged. :)

Being asked to take pictures of people on holiday because you are the closest person with a big camera. At no point would they have seen me taking pictures of people, why assume that I will take a good picture of them? :thinking: And if you do try to change position to take a better snap for them, they look as you as if to say, 'just take the picture'.

People taking pictures with their DSLRs at arms length using the rear LCD. There is a time to use the Liveview, but not for all your pics. ;)

The obsession with the number of pixels by the general photography public as a guide to which camera to buy. It is any easy way for the camera manufacturers to market their cameras, and a lazy way for them to update a camera range with minimal other upgrades.

Canon and Nikon seemingly wanting anyone who is serious about their photography to buy a camera with a full frame sensor. It is not the holy grail for everyone.

With the above in mind, Canon and Nikon not updating the 7D and D300S. It is a segment of photographers who will be willing to spend for quality, and they both seem to have abandoned those photographers.

On photography forums. (not necessarily this one)
People with watermarks, but especially those that have *****photography, when they are not a photography business. :thinking: If you want to put a watermark on, your name is all that's needed as an identifier and discouragement. If you think that is needed of course. ;)

People who put images on forums, receive comments, (which some posts don't get) and ignore/fail to reply in their own thread. And it is not just if someone has been critical of their work, if someone has taken the time to make a comment, have the good decency to acknowledge the contribution. I know at a certain point to you stop checking on posts on your threads as you deem the thread has come to an end, but have a check every so often.

The same to people asking for help. 'I'm going to x place on holiday, does anyone have any tips?' 'I'm thinking of buying this whatever, any tips?' It would be nice to reply in the thread to say what the final result was. Was the holiday good/bad? Was the information you received of any help? You bought this, that or the other. I know people may miss replies, but if you have started a thread, and people have taken the time to help you, please update on the results.

People who seem to wander around forums being very angry/unhappy. They come into threads with 100% attitude. Is there and need for it?

People who post into a long thread with something along the lines of , 'I haven't read the thread, but I think/have this to say'. How can you make an informed contribution if you haven't seen how the thread has developed? What you say may have already been said a number of times, or been deemed irrelevant to the way the thread has gone.

People who can see you are set up to take a picture, and then step in the way. Yes, it's a free world, but have some consideration. :rolleyes:

Photographers with expensive gear who think all other photographers must get out of their way. An expensive camera is not a password for the world to part out of the way if you didn't get to a location first. It's a nice feeling when photographers take each other into consideration, even if no words are exchanged. :)

Being asked to take pictures of people on holiday because you are the closest person with a big camera. At no point would they have seen me taking pictures of people, why assume that I will take a good picture of them? :thinking: And if you do try to change position to take a better snap for them, they look as you as if to say, 'just take the picture'.

People taking pictures with their DSLRs at arms length using the rear LCD. There is a time to use the Liveview, but not for all your pics. ;)

The obsession with the number of pixels by the general photography public as a guide to which camera to buy. It is any easy way for the camera manufacturers to market their cameras, and a lazy way for them to update a camera range with minimal other upgrades.

Canon and Nikon seemingly wanting anyone who is serious about their photography to buy a camera with a full frame sensor. It is not the holy grail for everyone.

With the above in mind, Canon and Nikon not updating the 7D and D300S. It is a segment of photographers who will be willing to spend for quality, and they both seem to have abandoned those photographers.

People with watermarks, but especially those that have *****photography, when they are not a photography business. :thinking: If you want to put a watermark on, your name is all that's needed as an identifier and discouragement. If you think that is needed of course. ;)

People who put images on forums, receive comments, (which some posts don't get) and ignore/fail to reply in their own thread. And it is not just if someone has been critical of their work, if someone has taken the time to make a comment, have the good decency to acknowledge the contribution. I know at a certain point to you stop checking on posts on your threads as you deem the thread has come to an end, but have a check every so often.

The same to people asking for help. 'I'm going to x place on holiday, does anyone have any tips?' 'I'm thinking of buying this whatever, any tips?' It would be nice to reply in the thread to say what the final result was. Was the holiday good/bad? Was the information you received of any help? You bought this, that or the other. I know people may miss replies, but if you have started a thread, and people have taken the time to help you, please update on the results.

People who seem to wander around forums being very angry/unhappy. They come into threads with 100% attitude. Is there and need for it?

People who post into a long thread with something along the lines of , 'I haven't read the thread, but I think/have this to say'. How can you make an informed contribution if you haven't seen how the thread has developed? What you say may have already been said a number of times, or been deemed irrelevant to the way the thread has gone.
All good points, especially the not acknowledging feedback. I genuinely can't be bothered anymore with feedback for that reason.

Rarely do I now find myself going into the C&C section.

Haha, I respectfully refer you to item No.4 in the OP's list at the start of this thread ;) :exit:

Those with all the gear but no idea and the arrogance not to realise it.
Those who can't be pictorially succinct when showing work.

:agree:

A couple of Flickr related irks:

What's with all the pictures of buses? Search for any city looking for locations and you'll be presented with photos of every bus in the local operator's fleet.

And birds? They all look the same to me, so why post 100 nearly identical shots?

Another is so called "Street Photography" - there's some very good street photographers who turn out interesting work. There are far more who think pointing a camera at the back of somebody talking on their phone or waiting for a bus somehow makes a good photo.

1. Those that moan about Ken Rockwell, whilst presumably reading his site and then drawing attention to it, the guy is clearly far cleverer than most people who moan about him will ever realise.

2. Anyone thinking they are limited by their kit (I've learned this the expensive way!) or using it as an excuse.

3. More than anything, people imposing their views on others as if it's the one and only correct view. RAW/JPEG, Canon/Nikon, Full Frame/APS-C/Micro43 etc.

1. Those that moan about Ken Rockwell

I like Ken Rockwell for two reasons:

1. He seems to annoy so many people.

2. He actually makes a lot of sense in most of the things he writes.

People with watermarks, but especially those that have *****photography, when they are not a photography business.

You don't need to have a business to legitimise photography. The term is just as valid for an amateur photographer.

Steve.

Last edited:
1. Those that moan about Ken Rockwell, whilst presumably reading his site and then drawing attention to it, the guy is clearly far cleverer than most people who moan about him will ever realise.

I respect the guy for the time he obviously puts in but every vaguely photo related google search yields his site, which unfortunately is very biased and full of 'the gospel according to ken'!

Rude 'know-it-alls' ... even if they do.

I respect the guy for the time he obviously puts in but every vaguely photo related google search yields his site

Precisely. This is what I meant about how clever he is, it's ironic that those who are most passionately against him are the ones who have contributed towards pushing him to the top of every search going.

Very, very few people can make a full-time paying job out of a personal website, Ken has nailed it and then some.

Fauxtographer (great word!).
Photographers taking it ALL TOO damn seriously.
Selfish photographers who seem to think their techniques are national secrets.
Photographers who seem to take it as a personal insult and go quiet when you demonstrate any level of success.
Not being taken seriously as a professional photographer just because I still have another job.
Photographers who provide critique when you haven't asked for it (these normally have a terrible portfolio but for some deluded reason think they are a master of all that is photography).

Think that's it... (for today).

Photographers who lie at weddings, say they are doing it just for fun then you find them blogging that they were the photographer of the wedding. Few weeks later they have set up in business with their new wedding as "proof" people book them.

- Anyone who says after someone comments that they have taken a good shot "yes I've got a real eye for it", just makes me want to poke them in the eye. With a stick. Twice.

-Anyone with a camera at an airshow who arrived at the crack of dawn and padlocked a deck chair to the fence, surrounded by a massive windbreak refusing to engage with anyone, normally holding a 5D or 1D with an expensive white lens attached because "full frame is essential"

Liking this new Fauxtography term, presumably these are the crowd that have iffy shots posted on a Insert Name Here Fauxtography facebook page, complete with massive watermarks on what most would call an in camera deletion, and all their mates tell them its fantastic?

Have not come across anything that irratates me personely apart from Mother Nature so to speake, especially when she/he :D shows up and I'm racing AND!! breaking the Law chasing the light driving my car.....then arrive where I knew the light! etc has just been truly awe-inspiring, and since has gone!!.......... NOW, that gets my back up for sure.

As for Photographers the ones I have met with and still do regulary around Snowdonia, I do find it great to share thoughts TP etc had a great outing recently with a true landscape photographer that has recently gone from the darkside (Nikon) to Pentax lol...fantastic camera indeed by the way, and I certainly grab the opprtunity to meet up with fellow photographers when ever I can....for sure.

OH!!!

Pixel peekers PLEASE......... o_O

Last edited:
5) Subject enthusiasts that think they are photographers - So these are people who are passionate about a certain subject and because they take photos of these subjects they believe they are photographers.

This is common amongst motorsports, train and plane spotters, bird watchers and bug enthusiasts.

They get so excited about seeing the subject of their interest that all concern for technique and creativity goes out the window. Every photo is the same photo with minor differences. EG Bird on branch, another bird on branch, car driving with other cars driving, train at platform, another train at platform. Their photos are generally boring and only other subject enthusiasts would find it interesting.

To be fair for some of these subjects the potential for interesting photographs is going to be somewhat limited and the people involved really make no pretense that there doing anything other than recording the subject. There do seem to be a sizeble number of wildlife photographers though who do seem to want to produce more than this but don't seem to place much value on composition and lighting.

My pet peaves...?

People who list every bit of photo gear they own in their forum signature, like its a badge of honor. I really dont care what gear you have, I would rather see the photos you shoot.

I hate people who steal others photos and claim they are their own. http://stopstealingphotos.tumblr.com/

Cant stand people who havent realized the DSLR is dead (lulz, jk)

Stealing is to deprive someone of their property. Infringement is making an unauthorised copy.

Making a copy does not deprive the owner of his image so it is not stealing.

Steve.

5) Subject enthusiasts that think they are photographers - So these are people who are passionate about a certain subject and because they take photos of these subjects they believe they are photographers.

This is common amongst motorsports, train and plane spotters, bird watchers and bug enthusiasts.

They get so excited about seeing the subject of their interest that all concern for technique and creativity goes out the window. Every photo is the same photo with minor differences. EG Bird on branch, another bird on branch, car driving with other cars driving, train at platform, another train at platform. Their photos are generally boring and only other subject enthusiasts would find it interesting.

Surely if you're taking photos, you're a photographer?

i.e. Many motorsport photographers are there to do a specific job, often that requirement can be a relatively simple, clear shot of the winning car. They are still a photographer and no more or less 'valid' than any other.

I always go out aiming to try something different, push my limits etc, at the same time I like to capture some images that serve little more than to be a record of the day, both are as valid a form of photography as each other.

Pro "togs" who hate being called togs, get a grip, its a name, a play on the word photographer as cabbie is a play on taxi driver or sparks a play on electrician.

anyone remember "soccersnapper"

'Phot' is the generally accepted abbreviation in many areas. Not tog. Tog is a measure of warmth.

1. Wedding photographers and their inflated opinions of themselves, the vast majority of which are nothing more than paparazzi who have learnt how to throw the background out of focus.

2. People moaning about competitions taking rights away from you as if their image was something they could live off for the rest of their lives and this nasty competition is forcing them to submit it.

3. X v Y moaners, oh just stfu and take a picture will you

4. people who pick over the minutae of every element of a camera spec and then report back on it as if they were the worlds oracle of all things camera. See 4, above.

Pro "togs" who hate being called togs, get a grip, its a name, a play on the word photographer as cabbie is a play on taxi driver or sparks a play on electrician.

anyone remember "soccersnapper"

It's a light hearted thread... get a grip :)

Back