conundrum

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Konica Minolta 7D with a three lenses and a fourth on the way (50mm 1.7). I have also bought a flash unit 3600HS.

Someone is advertising a Canon 5D body on my work intranet for £1,100. It seems to me that this is an amazing price for this camera, aparently it has hardly been used.

Should I sell all my kit and switch to Canon and start looking for lenses?

That does seem a great price! Before going the full frame route, just remember that full frame cameras are very unforgiving of lens quality, show up the shortcomings of any lens, and pretty well dictate that you only invest in the very best glass. Vignetting can prove to be a problem with some lenses too. It's likely to be a very expensive change over by the time you've made the swop and replaced your existing kit.

You're also losing the in-body anti shake system, so you'd have to invest in image stabilised lenses if you wanted to compensate for that loss. As I understand it IS in the lens is the superior system anyway, particularly with longer lenses, which is where you tend to really need it.

Difficult to advise Peter really. You've obviously considered a change, and if you're going to do it, the sooner you do so will minimize the long term damage to your bank balance.

The 5D is a great camera without a doubt and has a huge pro system of lenses and accessories to support it... along with Nikon. I wouldn't consider any other brand but one of those two. They've both been catering to the needs of serious and pro photographers for decades and that puts them in a different league to the competition IMHO.

I'm probably not helping am I? :D

Thanks CT,

I would probably get less lenses anyway, at least to begin with, 90% of my photos are taken between 30-100mm. So I could even just get one decent lens to begin with. Is there a good quality all rounder that you would recommend which would compliment the camera so I could price it up?

I can't really advise you mate.

The obvious lens which springs to mind is the new 24-105L IS. Quite a few people here have the lens (I don't... yet! :D) No doubt someone will give their opinion on it's performance with full frame sensors,but I'd have thought it would be OK.

The other obvious one to go for is the 17-40L, one of the more affordable 'L' lenses, and 17mm on a full frame sensor is a very wide lens without too much distortion.

CT said:
I can't really advise you mate.

The obvious lens which springs to mind is the new 24-105L IS. Quite a few people here have the lens (I don't... yet! :D) No doubt someone will give their opinion on it's performance with full frame sensors,but I'd have thought it would be OK.

The other obvious one to go for is the 17-40L, one of the more affordable 'L' lenses, and 17mm on a full frame sensor is a very wide lens without too much distortion.

That sounds like advice to me - I'll price those up and at least have some idea of what the real cost may be.

Thanks very much.

The 24-105L is in short supply in a lot of places at the moment, but if you hit all the bases there are places with it in stock. ;)

It's looking like a rather expensive upgrade. Even if it is a bargain...

Saving £300-400 sounds great but spending £1500 on new lenses?

I really would define "all the kit but ****"

:D Fun innit?

Where you getting those prices from?...those two lenses should cost you 2-300 quid less than that... at least.

Your looking at about £500 for the 17-40L and about £680 for the 24-105L.

SO as CT said, there is a saving of around £300.

The 24-105L is next on my shopping list as my walkaround lens so I can then get rid of the 17-85IS lens. Already got the 17-40L myself and have to say with only a few shots taken, it is an awesome lens. I dont do it justice I am sure of that but I thought, what the hell and bought it anyways.

Good luck making the final decision. Whisper "Canon is better and will hold its value more"

I added a couple of hundred quid for the flash. One of my mates has been after one of these for a while so I'm going to let him have it. At least someone's getting the benefit of the bargain price. I'll concentrate on improving my photography until I get to a point where I can justify that greater expense.

Thanks for the advice.

One of my collegues has just got the 5D with a 24-105L IS USM. He traded in his 20D and Sigma Lenses. His studio work has suddenly taken off on a new level. I'm very impressed with his images.

I've got the 24-105mm L, its a fantastic lens, well worth the money, I took mine on my jollies and never took it off as you easily can cover a lot of focal range with it, no messing changing lenses.

Hi Pete, if the guy still has it I would be very interested in it. I made the stupid mistake of selling mine about six weeks ago and have regretted it ever since. I can pay him cash. I'll pm you my mobile number and if you could pass it on to him it would be very much appreciated. What part of the country are you?.

Back