Converting 35mm slides to digital

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

I’ve got a little hobby of finding old 35mm slides at boot sales, charity shops etc and converting them to digital. I currently use a cheap slide scanner that scans them to a JPEG on the PC. I was going to buy a better slide scanner, then came across the slide duplicators that fit on a DSLR.

Has anyone had any experience doing this, and would a scanner or a duplicator be better?

Thanks

Shaun

I have used a contraption which could be fixed to a digital camera for 35mm slide and negative copying. The only problem is that to get a reasonable sized copy it was necessary to use additional lenses which were supplied and were single meniscus. This caused quite a lot of chromatic aberration so I stopped using this technique.

I had to digitise some old slides last year for an exhibition, and I tried both scanner and slide duplicator on a digital camera. My experience is undoubtedly specific to the equipment I used, but for what it's worth:

The scanner gave better colour correction because the scanner software I use (VueScan) was aware of issues like fading and could apply corrections automatically. The other issue I encountered with a duplicator was that the slides tended to slip in the holder, and avoiding truncation or sloping slides proved far, far more difficult than I had allowed for. Having completed the job using the duplicator, I had to redo using the scanner because very few were correctly framed; the scanner gave me better results (Epson V850 flatbed).

The alternative which may have given better results (it should, in theory, ignoring colour issues) would have been to use a macro lens on a digital camera. I have a macro lens, but lacked the means of ensuring that the slide was held rigidly parallel to the lens for taking the photograph. Had I had the appropriate equipment, this might have been a better route in terms of quality.

That just leaves convenience. My slides are held individually in sleeves, and removing a batch of 24 to insert in one block into the scanner was a good deal easier for me than the individual removal and reinsertion. The biggest time slice went into the remove slide from sleeve/insert slide into copier/remove slide and return to sleeve. This operation was of course interrupted by having to move to pick up the camera and make the exposure - even though the camera was on a tripod, my flow was disrupted.

Personally, I'd use the V850 for any future slide scanning.

There is/was a scanner made that used Kodak Carousel magazines, and could scan a magazine at a time.

Although it doesn’t use the Kodak carousel the Nikon Coolscan 4000 & 5000 can use the SF210 slide feeder that will take up to 50 slides. If you have a limited number of slides to scan it may be worth picking one up and then selling again once you’ve completed your scanning.

What's the 'cheap' slide scanner?

Probably the cheapest slide or neg 'scanner' is actually a web-cam light-box. Normally a bit like an old slide view, its an LED light source in a box. you put slide over light source, but the a simple web-cam ca look at it, rather than having a magnifying glass 'view-screen'. Things typically cost under £50 from places like maplins or off e-bay, and they are, frankly pretty poor. Quick ad easy, but they aren't much cop. Mine I think boasts something in the order of 16Mpix resolution, which sounds pretty good, but its actually inflated by interpolation, the actual web-cam 'eye' s only something like 1.6Mpx, and ruining on dedicated web-cam sftware, it outputs JPG image files with a particularly low colour depth... its 'OK' and adequate for decent original images, and for web-display pics, when they are resized down anyway, and for dong a large number of negs/slides, it is reasonably 'quick and easy', but far FAR from all that great, and gets worse as the quality of original drops off, wither with muck, or scratches or poor exposure etc.

Dedicated film an slide scanners, are far better. I use a very old one, datig to Y2K; it only outputs at around 10Mpix, but on moder scanner software, I can use multi-pass scanning, and get very very accurate scans on very high colour depth, that are far better 'as is' and a lot easier t work with if the neg/slide s a bit poor or degraded.

Ironically, I bought a second one off e-bay a year or two back, because it came with a raft of additional carrier strips, and figured it would make for useful 'spares', and I only paid £30 or s for that... Ie as little as a chap web-cam scanner. These sort of devices don't have to be all that 'expensive', though because of age, I have to rn it o an old PC and windows operating system that wll recognise it's SCSI interface card!!!

Its not 'fast'... I scanned about 2000 negs year before last, and the stopped scanning as I needed to touch them all up, and it was, all told a mammoth task.... but for the 'occassional' roll of film I put through one of the 35mm SLR's and home develop, its not too much of a marathon! Be Fine for the 'odd' ca boot slides.

More modern dedicated film scanners that may hav a more common USB interface and be run on a more contemporary PC might cost around £100 on e-bay, and up, second hand... but probably are worth it, if you are worried about image quality.

Flat-bed scanners, and transparency adapters, I have little experience of, as far as I can tell they are better than a web-cam-scan, possibly rval some dedicated film scaners at the low ed, and able t possibly scan 24 frames in a pass, maybe a tad faster.

Slide Duplicator Lenses...... RIGHT.

I bought a slide dupliator around twenty five years ago, to make pints of all my Granddad's old Slides, that the family had never seen, as they'd all got bored by the time he'd set up the projector, or given up announcing the projector bulb blown!

Mine has an opeque filter n one end, a slot for the slide carrir, and a simple lens in the barl that has a camera mount on the other end. Attatch to camera, shine lght down it, take photo of what you see, its essentially a slide viewer for the camera, and only slightly better than a web-cam-scan by virtue of the fact you get the image on another bit of film, rather than a low quality CCD.

Mine was a Jessops own brand, basically one of the three generic offerings with Jessops name on the box. Usually came with a T-Mount on the end, so they could be fitted with the appropriate camera mount to suit. At the time, I used Olympus OM's so that was the mount t came with, but when I bought into widgetal SLR and got a Nikon, easy eough to buy a Nikon 'F' T-Mount and re-mount the duplicator lens to suit the new camera....

Ah! Problem... I only get to look at, or duplicate about 1/2 the frame!

My DSLR is an APS-C or 'Crop' sensor camera... so the reproduction ratio of 1:1 means it wont cover the full frame of a slide or neg... would f I had a full-frame DSLR, bt ot a crop sensor one..... here in lies a issue!

Duplicator boasts a 'zoom' function.. but that only lets me take even smaller crop sections fro the original, not get full frame coverage... some-one suggested I might be able to take the duplicator apart and turn the lens around in the body, to reverse the magnification... but I couldn't, at least not on mine.

This means that to get full frame coverage have to take perhaps 6 or 12 or more crop sections from the original to cover the whole frame, then do a panorama stitch i photo-shop to get a full-frame mage.... works quite well, as the pano-sections are direct tessellations not pans and there's no angular change between sections, also means that from 25Mpix camera, I get an output file something the order or 100Mpix!

The resultant stitch files, are a bit ho-hum ht and miss, first whether there's enough detail across the frame for the software to successfully stitch, and then how well resolved they are, depends o how much processing distortion the software introduces, over and above how good the capture was to start with.....

All told, ts FAR from a quick and easy job, in my experience, first, the light source, which for consistent I tend to use an LCD computer motor showing a empty note=pad page to get a white light Camera on a tripod to keep the light surce distance constant and even twixt sections, and then quite a bit of trial and error in manual, to find 'best' exposure settings vs ISO and shutter speed. (Apertures fixed).. and keep that constant across sections.

It works... and t works pretty good, and for the £10 or so price of a old dupliator lens, you may get some pretty good results, if you have the patience. And can be 'fun'! But, not as 'good' either for sped/usability/quality, in my opinion as a dedicated film scanner.

As they say, you pays your money and takes your chances....

The slide duplicator lens, for all my perseverance, was 'best' for digtising old 110 or even miox sub-mini negatives, which didn't fit the proper scanner very well, and would have come out at much lower pixel count, because of how small they are. On the duplicator, the small size negated the crop-factor ad let me get 24mpc camera-scans, of a pretty useful quality.. if some-what slowly, that was not too big an issue with small number of 110 and minox negs!

Otherwise, the ddicted 35mm film scanner is the 'go-to' device for decent quality scans of slde or neg; The web-cam scanner is 'quck and easy' and gets used to make 'contact print' sets, for preview sort of purposes, or for a quick laugh on farce-broke.

Duplicator lens? IF I want to make a high res sectional enlargement, ad have time ad patients to mess, well, it works and you can get good results with it, but its ot my go-to tool for much, really, and I am NOT investing in a full-frame widgetal camera 'just' so I can use it as a scanner! Given I seem to have taken more film photo's since buying into wdgetal, I would probably be better off using the spend to buy a better and more modern dedicated 35mm film scanner!

So back to you.... how much are you prepared to invest n cold cash and hard time vs how 'good' do you really want or need scans to be?

Wow I didn’t expect such in depth and valuable reply’s, thank you for taking the time guys.

To answer a few questions in a short summary, I have an ion slide scanner I bought for like £30, it was actually supposed to be a gift for my grandfather in law, just to give him something to do, turns out he threw away all his slides away in the summer lol. So I thought I’d make use of it and found a few old slides in a charity shop just to see how well it worked.

It got me thinking, how much effort went into taking the shot to then getting it processed onto a slide, to then probably sitting in a box that only a handful of people of people would probably only ever see. Compared to the relative ease nowadays of digital and sharing on social media etc. I’ve been popping a few on instagram, and for all they look good enough on a mobile device, I was just thinking of what I could do to process them better. To be honest Instagram is probably going to be the main place they will be going, not looking to get any huge prints done or anything lo.

I didn’t have a specific budget in mind for an upgrade, as it is just kind of a spontaneous hobby alongside my photography hobby. I was just looking for feedback as to what would be best to process them, and then go from there

Thanks

Shaun

@Shaun Palmer hi Shaun

You have not mentioned other than Instagram about your intended use of these digitised slides, I thought I would bring to your and others attention something that is rarely if ever considered with these old long forgotten images on slide or negatives or prints bought or otherwise obtained.

They are most likely still in copyright!

So here is a link worth pointing out for the record about what are called Orphan Works.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/copyright-orphan-works

What it boils down to AFAIK in purely legal copyright terms, you do not have carte blanche to do what you like with the slides other than to view them for you own enjoyment. Just some food for thought bearing in mind that here at TP and other like photography fora the photographer's copyright and the infringement thereof does keep cropping up.

I use a Epson V370 Photo flatbed scanner which produced very good results from over 500 of the wife's slides that she took on her RTW trip back in the late seventies.

YouTube vid here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpXnvw2zB0

Although the vid concentrates on film strip it also has a holder for slides and the same process is followed.

Last edited:
I thought this EMULSIVE article (updated 2016 but for some reason came up in my twitter feed) was interesting: the quality gains from the DSLR were astonishing. That said, he doesn't say anything about his rig, nor about C41 orange mask colour correction, which I find such a PITA I rarely scan C41 anyway!

@Shaun Palmer hi Shaun

You have not mentioned other than Instagram about your intended use of these digitised slides, I thought I would bring to your and others attention something that is rarely if ever considered with these old long forgotten images on slide or negatives or prints bought or otherwise obtained.

They are most likely still in copyright!

So here is a link worth pointing out for the record about what are called Orphan Works.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/copyright-orphan-works

What it boils down to AFAIK in purely legal copyright terms, you do not have carte blanche to do what you like with the slides other than to view them for you own enjoyment. Just some food for thought bearing in mind that here at TP and other like photography fora the photographer's copyright and the infringement thereof does keep cropping up.

Hi

Yeah I did have a look at that and found it very confusing. Apart from putting the odd one on instagram that’s all I intended doing with them, and obviously just keeping them stored on my PC, I just thought it would be a shame to not share them. it’s just a little hobby for me. I just find it fascinating that these slides just get forgotten about and end up in boot sales and charity shops etc.

I do make it clear that the photo isn’t mine, and just put a little description of what I think of the photo. Hmm, maybe it’s not the best idea to share them if it’s breaking copyright, it would be impossible to find the original creators. I’ve got some I just got today from 1950 on glass slides lol.

That made for interesting reading, and certainly made me think. I've just reexamined the same frame (from Kodachrome) as it came from the Epson V850 and from the a7rii plus slide duplicator. Obviously, the results from the latter will depend on the quality of the lens in the duplicator. There wasn't much doubt about the winner - the scanner had more detail, better colour, and avoided blown highlights in the section I examined.

If I could be certain of being able to hold the slide in position accurately it would be interesting to try again with a macro lens; but as the Epson works perfectly well for me with medium and large format film, I lack the motivation to attempt a precision set up for photographing negatives.

Based on the article, I'd put a slide duplicator at the bottom of the list, and a macro lens/digital camera at the top. In practice, both scanner and duplicator relieve me of the problem of holding film parallel to the optics.

Hi

Yeah I did have a look at that and found it very confusing. Apart from putting the odd one on instagram that’s all I intended doing with them, and obviously just keeping them stored on my PC, I just thought it would be a shame to not share them. it’s just a little hobby for me. I just find it fascinating that these slides just get forgotten about and end up in boot sales and charity shops etc.

I do make it clear that the photo isn’t mine, and just put a little description of what I think of the photo. Hmm, maybe it’s not the best idea to share them if it’s breaking copyright, it would be impossible to find the original creators. I’ve got some I just got today from 1950 on glass slides lol.

I don't think you're likely to get into any kind of trouble with the usage you've suggested. At worst a copyright holder might ask you to take it down. To get into real trouble you need to be exploiting the result, usually for gain.

The key thing is that dealing with copyright is a risk management exercise... on both sides.

I used a slide duplicator to copy my library of about 500 slides.

At the time i only had an Olympus bridge camera and attached the duplicator to the camera with an adaptor,then mounted on a tripod.The light source was the window,this was about 10 years ago,but, it made a very good job of the work.

I still have the duplicator somewhere and if you would like to give it a try and pay postage let me know.

Richard.

PS Just found it,it is a Ohnar Digital duplicator Slide copier.

PPS I must say at the time if I had my V500 scanner I would have used that.

Last edited:
I used a slide duplicator to copy my library of about 500 slides.

At the time i only had an Olympus bridge camera and attached the duplicator to the camera with an adaptor,then mounted on a tripod.The light source was the window,this was about 10 years ago,but, it made a very good job of the work.

I still have the duplicator somewhere and if you would like to give it a try and pay postage let me know.

Richard.

PS Just found it,it is a Ohnar Digital duplicator Slide copier.

PPS I must say at the time if I had my V500 scanner I would have used that.

Ah thank you for the offer Richard that’s very kind of you. I found a duplicator on Gumtree a couple of days ago though so I have one en route :)

Back