Converting dSLR to Infra Red ?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a Canon 300D lurking at the back of the cupboard that is in excellent nick but it is unlikely to find a new home as there are so many 400's and 450's about at great prices. So, I was wondering how easy it would be to convert it to IR?
Is it simply a case of adding a filter or does the sensor need some more advanced surgery ? Is it a DIY proposition or do I need to send it off to the experts (if so, what sort of costs are involved?)

It's just a passing thought :thinking: as I quite fancy a go at IR and this could give the 300 a new lease of life.

Thanks as always.....

Pete

It is 'medium difficulty' if you are competent with lots of small electronics to 'what the hell did I do' if you would have to ask what type of screwdriver will I need and where do I get it from.

Actually heres a pic of afew open 350D's, ons having a shutter replaces and the other has a dead board.

5808135643_79be3aac18_z.jpg

5808135907_4cb934d44e_z.jpg

If you are going to attempt it you will need a 0 phillips screwdriver, good light and a replacement filter, also some very thin washers.
The aim of the game is to take the back off, remove all the ribbons from the motherboard, remove motherboard, remove cmos assembly, remove old IR filter, calculate how much washers you will nedd based on the difference in thickness of the old filter and new optical glass, if you dont put optical glass in you will lose auto focus ability, put it all together and cross fingers before turning on.

Last edited:
Hmmm, thanks for the replies guys.
Looks a bit of a challenge doesn't it ?
Not willing to put more into the camera than it is actually worth so I think I'll just return it to the back of the cupboard from whence it came.
Thanks for the info.

I had ACS convert my 300d, they were really helpful. My 300d gets used more than my 550d now. IR is a really interesting type of photography, it's like it's winter all year round!

Back