Converting Manfrotto to Arca Swiss (Kirk) help.

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to convert my tripod heads to Arca Swiss.

I have two tripods;
A Manfrotto 055 XPro B with a 498RC2 Midi Ball Head which I would like to convert to a Kirk bracket. I did find this but not sure if this is all I need.

The Hejnar system (which is similar to Kirk) shows an additional base plate which I can not find on Kirk website. From what I understand Hejnar should also be cheaper than Kirk, but this kit is more expensive than the Kirk QR Plate.

I also have the Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod which also has a removable plate so need to try and figure out what I need to convert that too.

Anybody with experience of converting Manfrotto to Kirk??
Please help me.

I bought this then had to use the allen screws to remove the other plate and then added the original plate that fits onto the camera IYSWIM
Now I can fit my Arca Swiss or, if I had one a Manfrotto.

Hope you can follow this

you could just sell the heads and buy new arca swiss style?

or unscrew the clamp part, and try and find a arca swiss clamp off ebay that will fit

I'm looking to do something similar but for a Manfrotto 141Rc. Does anyone know if the quick release is detachable from this head or alternatively recommend an equivalent quality pan & tilt head with an Arca Swiss fitting

All you need, is a QR plate from your head (Manfrotto), an Arca style clamp (Sunway make some affordable ones) a tube of Endefast* and an oven. No way that's coming undone :)

* hmm, they may have stopped making Endefast - maybe Loctite 262 or similar plus no oven.

May I refer you to post 2?

Kirk do make a one piece adaptor similar to the one originally mentioned by OP. This has a RC2 plate machined onto the bottom of the clamp in the link.
One piece so no messing about with bolts or glue and hoping that your bodge job holds. I had one but in a moment of madness sold it on here a couple of years ago.

I don't know the catalogue number but if you search the Kirk website it is in there. Should be somewhere on this page to suit your existing head :- http://www.kirkphoto.com/Specialty-Quick-Release-Clamps.html

Unfortunately Wex seem to be the sole UK importers of Kirk stuff, and they don't hold this plate as a stock item. They have to order it, but mine only took 10 days or so.

Kirk do make a one piece adaptor similar to the one originally mentioned by OP. This has a RC2 plate machined onto the bottom of the clamp in the link.
One piece so no messing about with bolts or glue and hoping that your bodge job holds. I had one but in a moment of madness sold it on here a couple of years ago.

I don't know the catalogue number but if you search the Kirk website it is in there. Should be somewhere on this page to suit your existing head :- http://www.kirkphoto.com/Specialty-Quick-Release-Clamps.html

Unfortunately Wex seem to be the sole UK importers of Kirk stuff, and they don't hold this plate as a stock item. They have to order it, but mine only took 10 days or so.

Thanks for that. Not cheap though !! Might need to reconsider if I really need the convenience or alternatively consider a new head ?

I eventually stumped up for a sunwayfoto head and sold the Manfrotto to offset the cost. The new head was £99 and I sold my Manfrotto head for £55, so only cost me £45 in the end.

I could have bought a place and a little converter goodie for my head but that would have ended up costing a bit more as I wouldn't have had a head to sell on.

Obvioulsly I had to get the L bracket and some plates for long lenses, but I was getting those anyway.

With my adaptation the Arco swiss clamp is bolted to the Manfrotto plate and the plate clicks into the Manfrotto head and just works without glue or gaffer tape etc

With my adaptation the Arco swiss clamp is bolted to the Manfrotto plate and the plate clicks into the Manfrotto head and just works without glue or gaffer tape etc

If you want to go that route, you can just get any Arca-Swiss clamp and bolt it directly to the Manfrotto plate. These are both excellent AS clamps for around a tenner. This one is only 38mm wide (same as an AS plate) but light, has a double-speed clamp thread, and 1/4 Whit attachment hole http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer®-Alu...d=1427886440&sr=1-1&keywords=arca+swiss+clamp This one is very light, with longer stem, and fits straight on with the 1/4 Whit adapter supplied. Loads more on Amazon/ebay but those are two favourites in my collection of about 20 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-Adap...d=1427886440&sr=1-7&keywords=arca+swiss+clamp

B*gger should have come to you first and saved a few bob:(

Back