Converting to Jpeg/ Cropping Help Required

Name
Damian Brown
Edit My Images
No
I have been converting to jpeg after all edits with each at approx 20"x30" 300dpi as a maximum giving around 50mb file, this would go on the client disc. I'm not too concerned with the freedom the client gets at the moment so the higher the quality the better, so skip any issues that brings up (otherwise I'd standardise the size to say 9x6 or something).

I have read a lot about using a 3:2 crop ratio and thought i'd test it out. I've cropped at 3:2 in ACR instead of 20x30, also at 300 dpi. Obviously this results in drastically smaller (in mb) images with dimensions up to 3872x2581.. anything up to 14mb as opposed to 60mb and 6000x8000 (roughly).. Now this is great for speed and disc space but just how useful is that to the client or in fact to myself if I want to resize for printing from these dimensions... I'm not sure if I'm seeing the logic of cropping to 3:2, in regards to file size and potential.

Because the file size is so much smaller I'm sure, in my crazy head at least, that the image has lost a lot in the conversion or at least the potential for printing at a larger size. I ideally want my images to be potentially printable at 20x30, hence my previous conversion to that size.

If you want to give your clients the option to print to 20x30 then leave things as they were, or supply both.

You do realise that 20x30 is a 3x2 crop ratio though don't you? or at least it's a 2x3 ratio.

Yes, even my maths aren't that bad. Just that it's a larger file ;) when cropped/sized to 20"x30 in ACR as opposed to 3:2.

3:2 isnt a SIZE..its just the ratio of the long side to the short side.

So cropping at 30x20" IS 3:2

6x4" is 3:2

12"x8" is 3:2

if you want to go bigger..... then 60" x 40" is 3:2 also......is that big enough? :D

If you leave it as it is.. 30" x 20" they will be able to use 12x8 & 6x4 with no cropping needed.

Aye, the safe bet is to offer 6x4, 5x7.5, 6x9, 12x8 etc No cropping needed.

Regarding the ratio/size thing, I think my headache is because previously I was resizing to 20"x30 (yes a 3:2 crop but in PS that's what I was selecting and it would interpolate or enlarge the image file) whereas selecting 3:2 leaves it almost as it is when it comes out the camera...

Sorry for the confusion, head hurts after two weddings on the trot! When I studied the trade it was all roll film and labs! Hence the occasionally dusty brain.

Back