Converting to Sony from Canon, Advice Wanted

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I'm wanting to buy the Sony AV7R V with some lenses. I take landscapes, macro and wildlife photos. My question is what lenses should I buy, or should I replace what I already own?

Why not get a mount adapter so that you can use your Canon lenses on the Sony.
AF wont be as good as a native Sony lens, but landscapes etc it shouldn`t be an issue

The camera will perform best with native e-mount lenses, but you can get an adapter to use your existing lenses on the Sony.
I believe the Sigma MC-11 is generally regarded as the best Canon-Sony adapter, hopefully someone who uses Canon lenses on Sony will be able to confirm this.

Since you have a decent range of lenses already, you should have a decent idea of what focal lengths you use most - if budget is not a concern, just look at the Sony GM lenses that match the focal length you want - they're the top end Sony lenses (much like Canon L).

If budget is more of a concern, Sony G lenses are also generally good, and you also have options from Sigma and Tamron for high quality native lenses.

Matching / exceeding what you have in your sig;
Sony 100-400 GM
Sony 90 G Macro
Sony 16-35 f/2.8 GM
Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM II
Sony 70-300 G (Personally I'd skip this one if getting the 100-400)
Sony 200-600 G

I did think about an adapter, but I don't think there's any point.

There are times when I want a larger zoom on the 100-400, so was thinking about the 200-600. And I could use a teleconverter too. Sadly it would take away 100mm for when I use the lens for say, dragonflies, when I want to get in close, but I can live with it

The reason for the change is for the AI focus for locking on in eyes on birds and other animals. I think it would be a dream to own the camera. Having a tilteable screen would be great. Other features on the camera would be ideal for landscape photography too.

Last edited:
I did think about an adapter, but I don't think there's any point.

There are times when I want a larger zoom on the 100-4000, so as thinking about the 200-600. And I could use a teleconverter too. Sadly it would take away 100mm for when I use the lens for say, dragonflies, when I want to get in close, but I can live with it

The reason for the change is for the AI focus for locking on in eyes on birds and other animals. I think it would be a dream to own the camera. Having a tilteable screen would be great. Other features on the camera would be ideal for landscape photography too.
Is the 7RV significantly better than the r5 for animal tracking ? Would save a lot of money on lenses etc

I have a Canon 5D IV but then bought a Sony A660 purely for reduced weight. So no point in carrying round the heavy Canon lenses. With the Sony I bought an 18-135mm and a 70-350MM; I also have a 35mm fixed 1.8 lens but have never used it yet. It did occur to me that a adaptor might be useful if I wished to use my Canon Macro lens. So I have the Sigma Sony/Canon adaptor but not yet used it but plan to do so in a few weeks for capturing fungi. I am pleased with the performance particularly focus and tracking but kept the canon for Studio and very low light work.

Dave

I own canon 7Dii, eos R7, and Sony A6600, plus canon EF lenses which are mostly L grade, oh yes, and a Sigma MC-11 adapter

My Sony A6600 does indeed have canon L glass mount on to it mostly EF 70-300L f4-5.6 IS USM and the EF 100-400L F4.5-5.6 Mkii IS USM. The AF is good, not as fast a native E mount or if the lens was on a canon body. About 70% from the centre can be used to AF, outside that circle and the AF on the A6600 does not work. The eye AF is great on the A6600, however Canon's Eye AF on the R7 is much, much better and the R5 is another level again. IMO canon's eye AF is slightly better than Sony, unless you have the A1 which is on par with the canon R3.
The Sony A6600 is a great unrated little camera and I enjoy using it, the R7 is not a 7Diii in a mirrorless body. More of a revamped 90D pretending to mimic a 7Diii.
The R7 is a good camera and the AF is bloody amazing, however it is no APSC flagship and it has its issues as canon do cripple lower end bodies. This tactic does not encourage me to upgrade to R6ii or R5 as the price is just too much for me to spend in this difficult economic period.

The R7 and RF 100-500L produce some very sharp images, however the A6700 & 200-600 is not as sharp.

warthog this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3QcNzo-AO4

R7 video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbO2TjOg94g

canon mirrorless has the focus tracking and tilting screen. Adapted EF lenses work perfectly. Might be more cost effective overall.

It may be worth test-driving one of the Canon mirrorless bodies Canon do this for free (no idea if Sony do similar though).

I recently changed from an 3 X r6 to 3x a74(wedding photographer)......worst mistake. Canon was better in every single way . So assuming you haven't already made the switch you should try an r6

Im a Sony shooter but if I was you I would look at the R5. I have a friend who uses a couple of R5's for very similar subject matters to you and he loves it. He moved from 5DMKIV about 2 1/2 years ago, and the fact he is still using adapted EF lenses tells you just how well they work on the Canon mirrorless. The R5 has excellent bird, AF and the file sizes are less than half that of the A7RV. If you are patient, I don't think the R5II is that far away.

Nikon shooter here, but perhaps I can bring some 'objectivity' to the proceedings. When I was looking at the new Nikon Z-mount cameras a few years ago, I also had a play with the other offerings at the time, namely Sony, Canon and Panasonic/Lumix. Becasue, it's always good to check out the possible options. What I found was that although I preferred the ergonomics of the Nikons (close to whatI'd been used to with DSLRs), Canon were better than Sony in that regard. I understand Sony have improved since, but I think I'd still prefer Canon now, if I had to make the choice. From what I've read, eye AF on Canons is at least as good as Sony. Personally, if I had several lenses of one brand, I'd not want to be taking a big financial hit by switching to a whole new system. You already have lenses that are excellent for what you want to do, and no other brand is going to offer you significantly better image quality in the real world; at that level, the big players are pretty much neck and neck really. In your position, I'd not be even considering a new system, especially not if it meant losing effectively thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever, just to get some feature that may or may not actually be an improvement. You'd spend less than you'd lose, on a nice new Canon R-series body. With the plethora of older Canon EF-mount lenses available, for me, it would be a no-brainer tbh. My one gripe with Nikon is the lack of legacy AF support for mechanical AF Nikon lenses. In your shoes,I'd just be buying an R5 and a couple of adapters. Moving to Sony isn't going to improve your pictures.

Nikon shooter here, but perhaps I can bring some 'objectivity' to the proceedings. When I was looking at the new Nikon Z-mount cameras a few years ago, I also had a play with the other offerings at the time, namely Sony, Canon and Panasonic/Lumix. Becasue, it's always good to check out the possible options. What I found was that although I preferred the ergonomics of the Nikons (close to whatI'd been used to with DSLRs), Canon were better than Sony in that regard. I understand Sony have improved since, but I think I'd still prefer Canon now, if I had to make the choice. From what I've read, eye AF on Canons is at least as good as Sony. Personally, if I had several lenses of one brand, I'd not want to be taking a big financial hit by switching to a whole new system. You already have lenses that are excellent for what you want to do, and no other brand is going to offer you significantly better image quality in the real world; at that level, the big players are pretty much neck and neck really. In your position, I'd not be even considering a new system, especially not if it meant losing effectively thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever, just to get some feature that may or may not actually be an improvement. You'd spend less than you'd lose, on a nice new Canon R-series body. With the plethora of older Canon EF-mount lenses available, for me, it would be a no-brainer tbh. My one gripe with Nikon is the lack of legacy AF support for mechanical AF Nikon lenses. In your shoes,I'd just be buying an R5 and a couple of adapters. Moving to Sony isn't going to improve your pictures.
I agree with you. The only thing I would HATE with canon is the flip out rear screen. I own the Sony A9 A7RIII and the Sony A7IV. The screen on the A7iv when flipped out for low or high angles drive me nuts. I much prefer the ones on my older A9 and A7RIII. I suspect canon will move towards the Nikon Z8/9 and Sony A7RV type of screen with the R5II.

I'll take a look at the R5 and compare it to the Sony V when I think it's time to upgrade

I'll take a look at the R5 and compare it to the Sony V when I think it's time to upgrade
The R5 is a vastly better option than a switch to Sony unless you really want all those pixels. In which case you’ll have to wait for the R5II.

Resolving the full 60 MP sensor resolution will be fun. 50 is bad enough. I nearly replaced all my lenses with primes, sigma art primes mostly to be specific to make the most of my 5ds. Canon 24-70mm is the worst offender landscape wise with massive field curvature (bad lens design, not my copy), and 16-35 f4 is only acceptable up to 20mm on that body. Your best bet is with 100-400 ii here; all the rest really need to be primes or you may as well just stick with your current camera or get the cheaper a7iv

I've come back to this thread.

Is the 7RV significantly better than the r5 for animal tracking ? Would save a lot of money on lenses etc
Yes it was save a lot of money on lenses if I choose the R5 over the Sony.

I recently changed from an 3 X r6 to 3x a74(wedding photographer)......worst mistake. Canon was better in every single way . So assuming you haven't already made the switch you should try an r6
I don't like the R6 because it loses more pixels than I already have (30). No good for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
The R5 is a vastly better option than a switch to Sony unless you really want all those pixels. In which case you’ll have to wait for the R5II.
I'm going to wait thanks.

Can you have the tiltable screen at 90 degrees to the camera, so you can take vertical shots with no problems?

I don't like the R6 because it loses more pixels than I already have (30). No good for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
What do you need the pixels for?

If I can print A3 from 6mpix, I genuinely see no point in all the R6's MPs let alone twice that number or more.
(I appreciate others needs can be different, but why do you need them)

Last edited:
What do you need the pixels for?

If I can print A3 from 6mpix, I genuinely see no point in all the R6's MPs let alone twice that number or more.
(I appreciate others needs can be different, but why do you need them)
I am thinking that I may not wait for the R5 mkII. But I'll have to think about it.
I'm not going back in the number of MP's when I'll lose detail within images. The more MPs the better.

I am thinking that I may not wait for the R5 mkII. But I'll have to think about it.
I'm not going back in the number of MP's when I'll lose detail within images. The more MPs the better.
I mean thats absolutely not true. And those marketing men are rubbing their hands in glee, knowing you’ve fallen for it.

Going with the R5, mount adapter, and new memory card :giggle:

R5 from Einfin is £2299 if you don’t mind ordering GM.
I was going to order from a company in Hong Kong, but from the experience I had with a lens I bought from there, I've decided to give it a miss.

Just wish the adapter was in stock every where. Even out of stock on Canon website

Gone with HDEW instead.

Strange that the adapter is out of stock everywhere, but appears to be in stock if bundled with the Canon R5:thinking:, bought a memory card too.

Gone with HDEW instead.

Strange that the adapter is out of stock everywhere, but appears to be in stock if bundled with the Canon R5:thinking:, bought a memory card too.
Each to their own but you could have saved yourself £400 ordering from Einfin, you’d have just waited a few extra days.

Each to their own but you could have saved yourself £400 ordering from Einfin, you’d have just waited a few extra days.
I didn't even read Einfin properly. I knew about it from a person who told me about the company on Twitter. I was going to order from there, but decided to order from Panamoz but had a problem with Paypal, so went with HDEW instead. More expensive than either but less expensive than WEX where I was previously going to order from.

Possibly, but only if your lenses can resolve it. Most don't go even near 8k. What do you have?

Besides canon's insistence on having aa filter makes it even harder to resolve and only really works with the very best primes at optimal apertures

Last edited:
They're in my signature
:LOL: fair enough, I imagine most wouldn't bother to keep it up to date, I certainly don't.

100-400 II should be fine, hopefully. I am rather curious if this is a truly 8K lens, or just a very close miss. 100mm macro yes, mostly for closeup work at medium apertures, no infinity focus work for sure. 16-35 f/4 best case scenario is 16mm and even then the edges never truly get there. You may as well sell on 24-70mm and the rest. I did and certainly don't look back.

So with one potentially really good lens you may as well open the door for other new glass with a SONY body and adapter to tide you over. It will depend on how much you need uncropped 4K60p x-LOG3 video as that only really comes with Sony A1 :headbang: while you near enough get this in a lowly R6 (1.1x), and fully in R6 II, expandable to 6K with Ninja V+

Last edited:
:LOL: fair enough, I imagine most wouldn't bother to keep it up to date, I certainly don't.

100-400 II should be fine, hopefully. I am rather curious if this is a truly 8K lens, or just a very close miss. 100mm macro yes, mostly for closeup work at medium apertures, no infinity focus work for sure. 16-35 f/4 best case scenario is 16mm and even then the edges never truly get there. You may as well sell on 24-70mm and the rest. I did and certainly don't look back.

So with one potentially really good lens you may as well open the door for other new glass with a SONY body and adapter to tide you over. It will depend on how much you need uncropped 4K60p x-LOG3 video as that only really comes with Sony A1 :headbang: while you near enough get this in a lowly R6 (1.1x), and fully in R6 II, expandable to 6K with Ninja V+
Well I did put my heart on the A7R V but others on here, as you see, said to get the R5 instead for the tracking.
I've decided I'll be getting rid of the 16-35 and 24-70 for an RF lens, but that'll be in the future, not now. I'll be asking on here about lenses.

I don't care for video on a camera

Last edited:
Well I did put my heart on the A7R V but others on here, as you see, said to get the R5 instead for the tracking.

I don't care for video on a camera
Most YT reviews will say Sony and Canon are about equal in tracking performance. You may be splitting hairs. Sony has a better sensor, Canon has more speed and fps. Both can do very reasonable work, and the operator is definitely the more important factor. I would base my decision here predominantly on the available lens options for either system. One may be a slightly better camera, but if you don't like or can't afford their lenses it is just no good.

Gone with HDEW instead.

Congrats, you will love it. It’s a massive step up from the 5DM4. AF tracking will work better on all your lenses. Try to resist the GAS. I still have all my EF lenses and yet to buy an RF lens. A friend popped over this evening to borrow a couple of lenses for a fashion shoot tomorrow because guess what, they are in the process of selling all their Sony gear to switch to Canon R5.

Well you have fairly bad comprehension skills if that's what you think you read here - I was one of the people who thought it'd be daft switching to Sony, and nowt to do with the tracking being superior, but simply because of the number of lenses you already owned that you could carry on using.

Adapted EF lenses work perfectly. Might be more cost effective overall.

Personally, if I had several lenses of one brand, I'd not want to be taking a big financial hit by switching to a whole new system. You already have lenses that are excellent for what you want to do, and no other brand is going to offer you significantly better image quality in the real world;

The R5 is a vastly better option than a switch to Sony unless you really want all those pixels

Yep it's better than spending more money on lenses when I already have some good ones

Back