Conway Castle at sunrise

Edit My Images
No
Early morning dash down to Conway castle to catch the sunrise, it was rather cold & wintery & unfortunately the lighting wasn't quite what I was hoping for - not 100% sure about this one, all opinions appreciated

simon

conway_castle_winter_sunrise.jpg

:agree: A really lovely capture! well done for catching the sunrise!

Thanks for the feedback ...

But to be honest I'm not really happy with this one

I've been trying to capture a unique looking shot of Conway Castle for a while but unfortunately I've still not managed it. This is another experiment - mainly regarding composition...

From this angle I like the mountain backdrop but the road-bridge is too evident & detracts from the castle, there really isn't any foreground to be had from this vantage point either - back to the drawing board

dare i suggest that from that angle the castle may look better at sunset...
the way the light is falling at sunrise i suspect more of the castle may be illuminated at sunset (i dont know the location so could be completely wrong)
i think you would benefit from a redder sun rise/set too
that said i do like the composition

Andy,

Your spot-on with the sunset suggestion - only thing is that because of the castles location I'll have to wait until summer when the sun will start to set near the front of the castle

Neil,

Definitely a chance of a good reflection from here, just a case of timing the tide so that the water is a little less turbulent

.... as is always the case in photography the elements never come together when you want them to -- if at first you don't succeed .........

Fortunately I passby the castle often so eventually I'll get the shot I'm looking for (hopefully)

Simon

http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

how about trying much earlier, v long exposure, that will have the effect of smoothing the water improving the reflection and maybe lighting the castle better?

Back