Non UK Copenhagen - wonderful or just another city?

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
We're off to Copenhagen over Christmas because it was on Mrs. Mariner's bucket list. I've been there on business twice, but never managed to get out & see the place - is there anywhere we should go, especially is there anywhere with amazing photographic opportunities?

I really enjoyed it when I went. I thought it was a place I could always go back to for a long weekend.

Nyhavn is nice for a wander, food, and atmosphere, of course the colours make a decent photo.
The Colour before the storm... Nyhavn, copenhagen by Joe Hunt, on Flickr

I also liked my photo inside the Rundertaan

Rundetårn by Joe Hunt, on Flickr

Of course my photos are pretty average tourist shots.

There are some cool towers to go up for photos of the rooftops..

Don't bother going to see the mermaid.

Thanks ^Joe. I remember your Rundetårn shot when you posted it before, though not where you'd taken it. I suspect a key bit mssing from the mermaid's title is the word 'little'. ;)

what about seeing the little mermaid statue

DsiYoYf.jpg

made famous by Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale

Been on business. Spent a very pleasant evening in the wintergardens/tivol with the client. Don't know about the rest of the city unfortunately.

So Ive passed the question on to the local tribe :)

Last edited by a moderator:
what about seeing the little mermaid statue

DsiYoYf.jpg

made famous by Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale

The single most underwhelming tourist attraction I've ever seen, I've seen it a few times and it doesn't get better... still, you've got to go and see it but dont walk there, it's miles, get the boat or a taxi (the walk back is quite nice).

Tivoli at Christmas will be great.

CPH is actually pretty small so a long weekend is enough to see most things, I like to just wander around as it is all very pretty.

Last edited:
Blue hour is early and the lights in buildings will be on, maybe except the hollidays. The christmas lights etc. are usually taken down just after the christmas days so don't hesitate if thats what youre after.

Christiania is quite an interesting place although may seem a bit unsafe.I strolled through there with the missus when we went a couple years back and although they don't want you to take pictures there it's certainly an experience!Dont know what it's like now but when i went there was loads of hippy stalls with the fronts down so you could just see hands and a little table and they was selling cannibis there.There will be plenty of Christmas markets when you go so photo opportunities there and they was actually cheaper than ones I've been to in England!it gets bloody cold so wrap up.As already mentioned it isn't that big so a couple of days to get about is plenty of time

Tivoli Gardens arn't, it is just one big funfair and amusement arcades , very upset on the visit there, no gardens apart from a couple of small fountains. One place to avoid like the plague.Never been so bored with a place in my life

Last edited:
Tivoli Gardens arn't, it is just one big funfair and amusement arcades , very upset on the visit there, no gardens apart from a couple of small fountains. One place to avoid like the plague.Never been so bored with a place in my life
Not around Xmas. Im not sure about this year but last time we went there the rides were closed and it was one big christmas decoration and places selling gløgg, pancake puffs etc.
Pics from web
foto (1017).JPG æbleskiver.jpg

Christiania - they don't like you taking pictures in there and it's known for not being policed so I kept my camera stowed except for photos of the entrance. A few shady people selling drugs and some hippy tat, millions of tourists. I felt like an intruder and left quite fast.
The area nearby is pretty.

The architecture museum on the water is interesting - inside and out.

The black diamond library and the opera are both interesting modern buildings, in general there is a lot of modern architecture to shoot if that's your thing along with more old fashioned things.

We took a boat trip from Nyhavn which covered most of the sites in a relaxed way, not sure if that will be running in December. We also walked to the Mermaid and I wouldn't recommend it unless you want pictures of tourists.
Nyhavn food was viciously expensive even for CP - we ate better and cheaper elsewhere.

The meat packing district is really good for people watching in summer - again not sure about December.
We ate some of the best seafood I've ever had at Kødbyens Fiskebar there - book online if the prices aren't too scary for you and you like fancy food. I did photograph my food :)

If you're halfway competent cyclist then hiring a bike would be worth looking into - they have a brilliant cycling culture.
I hope you're feeling rich, it made Venice feel reasonable.

Have fun!

Police have been visiting and done some tidying up the past years so the situation is not stable. Id stay away from Christiania

It is just an old fashioned fun fair but they put a lot of effort into seasonal decorations and they are really quite impressive if that kind of thing floats your boat. But yes, gardens they ain't.

When I went to the winter gardens, we just had a really nice meal at a restaurant with outside tables, overlooking a stage that just happened to have an orchestra playing. Before and after the meal, we just had a wander around the amusement park. The rides were closed at the time.

Thanks everyone, and for the warning about Christiana. Ben - that's a really useful link.

This is a shameless plug, but please take a look at my finances blog on Copenhagen.

https://thenomadicfox.com/2017/07/09/how-to-spend-seven-hours-in-copenhagen/

We spent the day there before catching our flight back home.

I would most definitely recommend Nyhaven for the sights and maybe for a drink However would advise against eating there as it's so pricey for what you get. (8 quid for a coke and few chips). Take the short trip over to PAPIRØEN (which is next to the hip Christianshavn for food. It's a street food delight and will not disappoint.

Oops.. I posted the same thing twice and don't know how to delete the post.. sorry [emoji15]

Last edited:
This is a shameless plug, but please take a look at my finances blog on Copenhagen.

https://thenomadicfox.com/2017/07/09/how-to-spend-seven-hours-in-copenhagen/

We spent the day there before catching our flight back home.

I would most definitely recommend Nyhaven for the sights and maybe for a drink However would advise against eating there as it's so pricey for what you get. (8 quid for a coke and few chips). Take the short trip over to PAPIRØEN (which is next to the hip Christianshavn for food. It's a street food delight and will not disappoint.

Thanks Richard.

IMG_0596.JPG

I would go back just so could eat this again.

Pulled pork, coleslaw, some kind of chilli sauce and pickles with curly fries..

.. waddled my way around for the rest of the day. [emoji39]

I assume you mean fiancée ... or is she your accountant? I suppose she could be both.

As for Copenhagen... well I’ve never been there, but once you look no city is “just another city”...

I assume you mean fiancée ... or is she your accountant? I suppose she could be both.

As for Copenhagen... well I’ve never been there, but once you look no city is “just another city”...

Haha. I actually meant fiancé as I'm engaged to a man..

Not sure if it's still useful but I've taken some images of Copenhagen this year, loved the architecture there. 8 Tallet is such an interesting building. The opera house too is a stunning building on the side of the river. The buildings and area of Kroyers Plads is amazing too, some stunning balconies. Mostly architectural sights but great nonethe less!

Maybe its about time I played tourist in my ovn Capitol. Btv Richard, its Nyhavn not Nyhaven, the latter is Newgarden :D

Thanks Daniel, Soeren. We only have a few days, so I suspect there will be loads to see as an ordinary tourist in such a short period.

Back