Coping with drive letter changes in Lightroom

gaffer

Name
Andrew Beattie
Edit My Images
Yes
I use external USB drives to hold my raw images and I manipulate them in Lightroom.

Because I use network drives, card readers, USB sticks and different external drives, the drive doesn't lways get allocated the same drive letter each time.

So, I have ended up with a LR catalog where it thinks that some of the images are on F: some are on H: and some are on K:

Is there any way in LR1 to tell it to go through the entire catalog, and change all of the file references to (for example) K: ?

Andrew

You can at best do a folder at a time. Right click on the folder and select Locate Missing Files and hunt away for the right drive/folder in the window that appears. All shots in that folder will be found.

I think if you go to disk management in control panel > admin tools you can assign different letters to the drive and if you use letters much lower down in the alphabet such as X,Y,Z then the drives will always get these back rather than the 1st available when they are mounted. Might be worth doing for the future as you'll only have to do the missing files thing in LR once (y)

You can at best do a folder at a time. Right click on the folder and select Locate Missing Files and hunt away for the right drive/folder in the window that appears. All shots in that folder will be found.

That sounds like the ticket, thanks.

I think if you go to disk management in control panel > admin tools you can assign different letters to the drive and if you use letters much lower down in the alphabet such as X,Y,Z

Good idea I'll do that first.

Thanks,

Andrew

Back