Copryright

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been granted permission to go up the scaffold on my local church.

My thought was to get some shots of the village for my Estate Agent customers and some nice shot of the area.

The committee have said i need to comply with safety which is fine but they want the copyright to the photos.

I have a small side in property photos but never get involved in who owns the photos, i just do them and invoice who ever asks me to go..

Any advise, are the church trying it on??

Offer them a licence rather than copyright. Then they can use the pictures and you remain in control of copyright.

The church is private land presumably, so the price that the body in control of the land want to charge for access is that they get copyright and therefore control of the pictures. Perhaps you could come to a financial arrangement instead, since you intend to make money from the photos.

Two options; you license the image(s) to them and you retain copyright, or you transfer the copyrights and they license the image(s) to you. The latter is actually fairly common in certain types of work, and it's becoming more common as a condition of access... There's no way I would provide the image(s) and copyrights w/ no benefit to myself/my company; which is what you are describing they want.

Do they understand what copyright is? I suspect they just want the "Right" to use the photo's.
If they insist they want the copyright what's in it for you? Don't be influenced by the fact it's a church. Otherwise refer to post #6 above.

Back