Copying an image from a magazine

Edit My Images
Yes
I hope someone can help.

My mother has a photographic image on a page from an old (20 years+) magazine that has creases and the odd damaged area. I've said that I think I could probably get it scanned, the damage repaired and have the image reprinted for her.

This is purely for personal enjoyment and not for any commercial use. If I could trace the copyright holder (I think the mag went out of circulation years ago) I would ask for a proper photographic copy and not one made from an degraded, old magazine print.

The question (at last) will professional labs like RBG do this, or will they refuse on the ground that permission is needed from the copyright holder?

I suspect that most labs would help you out with something like this. It should seem fairly obvious that you are not out to contravine anyones copyright and just want to preserve a sentimental image.

As you've said though, they would be technically correct in refusing to do it, so you might want to call a few places to see how you get on. Actually, it's no different to the places that offer to restore old prints as they could be covered by the same rights too.

If you felt safe posting it etc., I don't mind scanning it
and either emailing/copying to disk and sending it back or do the retouching for you and the same again? leave it with you.

Who needs a scanner ? Depending on the size of the image, your 5D will provide you with a 300-600+ dpi photo of the image ...

If you felt safe posting it etc., I don't mind scanning it
and either emailing/copying to disk and sending it back or do the retouching for you and the same again? leave it with you.

That's incredibly kind of you. I also want to have a 50yr B&W theatre portrait of my mother similarly scanned, repaired (edges been nibbled by bookworm) and reproduced.

I know that I could set up the 5D and do the work myself in CS3 but at the moment the time it would take to do the image repair is not time that I have.

I'll drop you a PM.

Don't forget images iin magazines are half tone images made up of a series of dots. You can probably duplicate the images just fine, but any attempt to enlarge them will just show up those dots.

I'd really like to get a copy of the original photograph but I don't know how to go about finding the copyright holder or who/where the image is stored.

is there any info on the page Phideaux? photographers name or agency? what the name of the magazine?

Hi Simon,

Got the pics this morning, will scan/retouch them over the weekend and print them out on Monday for you.

I'll drop you a line as to when I'm posting them back, don't worry about postage/material costs, I'm glad to lend a hand ;) (y)

Hi Simon,

Got the pics this morning, will scan/retouch them over the weekend and print them out on Monday for you.

I'll drop you a line as to when I'm posting them back, don't worry about postage/material costs, I'm glad to lend a hand ;) (y)

a nicer fella you couldn't wish to meet, did me a load of printing too, and then bought it over to me.. beyond the call of duty.:clap:(y)
well done glen..

Cheers Steve!! That coming from a man who's helped over the past 6 months with plant/flower choices in my garden, got me some very keen prices and also offered to come round a plan everything too, a star man (y)

Right thats enough of the gratuitous complements :puke: :LOL:

is there any info on the page Phideaux? photographers name or agency? what the name of the magazine?

Unfortunately not. It looks as if it was an insert as there is no printing on the back.

Also RGB Labs have emailed so say they can't copy and repair without the permission of the copyright holder. But I'm hopeful that Glen can do something.

Hi Simon,

Thanks Glen. If I can repay the favour sometime it'd be my pleasure.

Hi Simon

All done and dusted, I've done various copies as you'll see, the ladies head shot is the one with a few versions as the color was slightly out at the first scanned copy and I didn't have the original as I was at work and second guessed the colour, so I tweaked it again once I had the original as well as doing a B&W version.

Basically 2 copies of the cat lady, 6 copies of the head shot, all 3 variations. I'll also put them on disk for you and I will bung in some iflord paper semi matt and gloss with the profiles so you can have a play.

Will get them out in business post as the royal mail are pooh at the mo.

If you aren't happy let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers Glen.

Glen,

You are a gentleman. Thank you.

Back