Copying lightroom raw files & edits to laptop for client viewing

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently did a wedding for a friend and have edited all the images on my desktop machine. I would like to meet up with them at their place with my laptop and go through all the edited photos 300ish and pick the ones for the album. Is there anyway I can copy the files off my desktop (compete with edits) in lightroom onto the laptop to show them and then transfer them back when done?

I had through about exporting jpegs from the desktop onto the laptop and use lightroom purely as a viewer, but if they want any changed from colour to B&W then I would end up doing it again when i'm back home..

Can I copy the catalogue and folder containing the files, then copy back when done?

Hope that makes sense

I think you just need to set Lightroom to save .xmp sidecar files alongside your RAW files. If you then import the RAW files folder into Lightroom on the Laptop your edits should be there.

Are you using LR via the creative cloud package? If so, you could add them to a collection, then sync and view / edit via LR mobile app.

Export the images as a catalogue to laptop. Edit away, then reimport to desktop later?

Awesome, will give that a test run later.. Does is make any difference that I only use one catalogue file for all my photos?

The other thing to bear in mind is this is kind of the scenario that Lightroom cc and iPad was designed for, and it does it very well by all accounts.

Haven't got CC and also use android tablets.. does it work with them? Although Laptop might be better with 15" screen

Haven't got CC and also use android tablets.. does it work with them? Although Laptop might be better with 15" screen
Nope, it's a CC and iPad only thing. I don't have either but demos are clever. Smart previews synched to iPad so you don't need.the RAWs copying over, any edits you make synched over the internet back to your main PC so full lossless quality maintained. It's a great idea

From memory, so it may not be 100%, if you have LR on your laptop too, you can export a folder from your pc as a catalogue, save that on your laptop, (easy over wireless at home), you can import the catalogue into LR your laptop, make changes and then export again. Not syncing I know, but I cant remember the exact steps from before CC. I've found this which may help, but I'm off out now so can't dig deeper. : http://improvephotography.com/29388/sync-lightroom-catalog-laptop-desktop/
Hope that helps

Create smart previews and just work with them. Exactly want they designed for and no need to move RAWS

Right, did the whole export catalogue thing and it worked.. I now have a selection of rated images on my laptop, how do I get them back into my original catalogue on my desktop..

Just tried it, worked a treat.. only thing is it created a virtual copy of any photos I had altered. must of been something I clicked!!

Back