Copyright Release Form

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
:wave: Hello all

Wonder if someone can help me. My car club is going to produce a calendar for 2011, using member's photographs. Some entries have either been taken professionally, or by a magazine, so may have copyright issues.

Would we need to see a copyright release for these kind of photos or would the club be protected if the person entering the photograph for the calendar made some kind of disclaimer?

If so, would anyone here be able to advise me on wording for either a copyright release (permission to use the image, not transferring copyright), or a disclaimer?

Many thanks :)

Without consent from the owner of the copyright, you're setting yourself up for a s***storm that could end up with people being sued.

Either get them to take their own photos, find someone on the forum who is savvy with a camera and see if they'll help out, beg and plead with the copyright owners for permission, or use them anyway and hope for the best.

Thanks CH, I understand the implications, but we do want members to supply their own pictures. What I am after is some kind of form or template for us to get rights to use the picture from the photographer or magazine. I've searched for something but can't find one easily. :)

there is no such thing - write your own - stating your terms - and fee payable.

I want the member to contact them, and if they want commission and the member wants to enter that picture, then it is up to the member to pay.

What I am after is wording on a written document of some sort that gives permission to the club to use the picture in the calendar. If I issue the same template to all members wanting to use magazine shots for example, this could make things simpler, and I know we would be OK if the wording is right.

:)

there is no such thing - write your own - stating your terms - and fee payable.

Thanks, and in my first post I asked;

AquilaEagle said:
would anyone here be able to advise me on wording for either a copyright release (permission to use the image, not transferring copyright), or a disclaimer?

:)

A very very basic release would be something along the lines of:

I confirm that I own the unencumbered copyright of X image and grant a licence for its one time use in print only without alterations to X for inclusion in their 2011 calender with a print run limited to X copies for use in the United Kingdom.

[Signed] XXXXXX

Alter the media, length of use and geographic restrictions to suit your requirements and budget.

Edit:

If you are paying for usage then you will need to include the consideration in the release, or at least it's advisable to.

Last edited:
Back