Coracle Rally,a wider Pons view.

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,here's a few from the the Coracle,and with a slightly wider more scenic view than Bens,as is my preference.
All were taken with D3,70-200 2.8vr,plus 1.4 and 1.7 converter,and 24-70 2.8.

Light was a bit dull first thing,but very bright later,plus exceedingly dusty.

I did use a 4times grad filter for the sky for most of the day as an experiment,not sure about the results ,but might have been better with Circular polariser.
5976890341_d3e4ae1fb7_z.jpg

5976897961_63b832d12b_z.jpg

5976897985_e363812032_z.jpg

5976897989_359c851b92_z.jpg

5976897979_97b9828a1e_z.jpg

5976890337_14c936f33b_z.jpg

Cheers,
Pons

I like #1 Chris. Great shot that.

I think that the ND grad filter you used was too strong, and incorrectly positioned for some of the shots you've posted as it is visible in the shots (most obviously in #3).

Re your statement about being better off using a circular polariser, it depends what you were trying to do. If you wanted to balance the exposure of the sky and foreground, then the ND grad was the right tool for the job. If you wanted to cut down on reflections and saturate your colours, then the CP was the right tool. The CP won't let you balance the sky and foreground exposure.

Simon.

I like #1 Chris. Great shot that.

I think that the ND grad filter you used was too strong, and incorrectly positioned for some of the shots you've posted as it is visible in the shots (most obviously in #3).

Re your statement about being better off using a circular polariser, it depends what you were trying to do. If you wanted to balance the exposure of the sky and foreground, then the ND grad was the right tool for the job. If you wanted to cut down on reflections and saturate your colours, then the CP was the right tool. The CP won't let you balance the sky and foreground exposure.

Simon.

Many thanks for your comments,Simon,and I think you are spot on re grads and CP.
I probably didnt really need it for the blue sky,and was trying to get more detail on whitish bits.
1,is probably my favourite from the event,so thanks.

Digitall Hi Chris, not too sure about the trials with the grad. As said above I agree. Apart from that, they are typical Pons style. I would have liked to have seen shot 4 slightly more into the water.

Allan
Cheers Allan,fair comments all,probably see you on sunday.

Thanks folks for commenting.

Many thanks for your comments,Simon,and I think you are spot on re grads and CP.
I probably didnt really need it for the blue sky,and was trying to get more detail on whitish bits.
1,is probably my favourite from the event,so thanks.

Thanks folks for commenting.

Looking at some of your shots Chris, it looks like the light levels were fairly consistent. Under those circumstances, I would've switched to spot metering and metered a non reflective white object (e.g. piece of paper) in the same light as the cars would be in, and adjusted exposure while chimping the histogram until I had the white object just about clipping. I would've then locked those exposure settings in using manual and happily snapped away knowing I wouldn't have blown any whites (specular highlights being the exception), thus maximising the detail in the whiteish bits you mention above. Of course you need to keep an eye on the light and adjust as necessary. I also shoot RAW, so I can bring the exposures down in PP if I need to.

Cheers,

Simon.

Looking at some of your shots Chris, it looks like the light levels were fairly consistent. Under those circumstances, I would've switched to spot metering and metered a non reflective white object (e.g. piece of paper) in the same light as the cars would be in, and adjusted exposure while chimping the histogram until I had the white object just about clipping. I would've then locked those exposure settings in using manual and happily snapped away knowing I wouldn't have blown any whites (specular highlights being the exception), thus maximising the detail in the whiteish bits you mention above. Of course you need to keep an eye on the light and adjust as necessary. I also shoot RAW, so I can bring the exposures down in PP if I need to.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks Simon,that's great advice to me and anyone else on here,really appreciated ,will try it tommorow and see how things go at Epynt.(y)

Digitall Not me got to go to the WPF EGM.

Still none the wiser,Al,"WPF EGM":LOL:

Pons, I know you keep harping on about getting the wider view/scenery in, but in some cases I think you're going too far, and some of the shots suffer from having wasted space that doesn't add anything to the shot. A closer shot with a carefully considered composition with some of the track/road, dust trail or scenery in the shot has more impact. A good example is #3, where 2/3 is what I'd call wasted space (bottom and left third). Similar could be said about #5, for the left and top of the shot. Anyway, its just my opinion and it only applies to some shots I've seen from you more recently.

With regard to the ND grad, which it looks like you've used on 6 and 3, I don't see the need to use it as the skys are bright/blown. All its done is made what would have been a nice blue sky, dark? :shrug: On an over cast day with a white/grey sky and you're exposing for the foreground, an ND grad would put detail back into the sky.

#1, I think the space to the left helps here, doesn't feel right if you look at it and cover it up. Good bit of action and well timed watersplash, just a shame the light was a bit flat.

#4, the inclusion of the bridge and people work well here. (y)

#5, fantastic jump and the dust clouds add to it! :clap:

Please don't take these comments the wrong way mate, just giving my honest opinion. Hopefully some of the comments are something to consider and might help in the future?

Cheers,

Thank you for taking the time to comment,and never offended Sir Jim,I very much value your learned opinion.

Re 3 ,I deliberately shot it that way to include the winding road behind,and positioned the car on the right as a result of what I wanted,what I dont like is the overdone sky,and grad filter overdone .

Truthfully ,we all have our favourite styles and compositions we look out for,and I am not harping anymore ,each to there own ,and folk often change ,but I still like my more scenic stuff ,as I feel they are the pics that really show off events and what the bigger picture was.

Thanks for taking the time(y)

Pons

Comrade Pons... very nice. I like all the off centre compositions, sweeping lines etc #1 and #3.

I see your kit bag has changed somewhat! Am guessing that a lot of the above is possible now you have top notch gear - I know for me personally having a decent AF system that would work somewhere other than dead centre changed my game massively.

Anyway, full marks from Moscow Centre (y)

Pons, just seen your entry in the BRF photo comp; best of your Coracle shots I've seen, so why didn't you post it here?!

Nice shots Chris, i particularly like 1. Shows the speed/size of splash nicely. I'm not sure if the grad filter has added particularly, the sky isn't a very big feature in any of the shots...

I missed these first time around! :bonk: #1 and #6 for me, with the caveat that filter has darkened the sky too much in # 6....but you already know that! :) I prefer a slightly tighter crop myself, but your style of shots are what magazines look for! ;)

Comrade Pons... very nice. I like all the off centre compositions, sweeping lines etc #1 and #3.

I see your kit bag has changed somewhat! Am guessing that a lot of the above is possible now you have top notch gear - I know for me personally having a decent AF system that would work somewhere other than dead centre changed my game massively.

Anyway, full marks from Moscow Centre (y)

Comrade ,
Dos vidanya :)
Marvellous,glad you like the compositions,one does try to be different,but that's not hard when you are like me ,a perfect jack in the box,with the patience of a dragonfly..
I have decent to very good gear for a while,changing to Nikon ,but truthfully wondering if I was a little hasty getting shot of those lovely white lenses.
One thing I don't like with full frame is it is difficult to get focus points low enough in the shot ,thanks for commenting.

Jim B Pons, just seen your entry in the BRF photo comp; best of your Coracle shots I've seen, so why didn't you post it here?!

Sometimes takes me a while to find the best ones,Sir Jim,and I never know what to post in that comp.
dunganick Nice shots Chris, i particularly like 1. Shows the speed/size of splash nicely. I'm not sure if the grad filter has added particularly, the sky isn't a very big feature in any of the shots...
Yes,liked 1 myself,my kind of shot.
Have not had much experience with grad filters,but trying as an experiment.
Thanks again
#
ST-PHILIP I missed these first time around! #1 and #6 for me, with the caveat that filter has darkened the sky too much in # 6....but you already know that! I prefer a slightly tighter crop myself, but your style of shots are what magazines look for!
Damm filters ,must read up more on them.
Would be boring if we didnt have are own styles,thanks for looking in,Phil.

Been having another look at your set, Chris. I just keep getting drawn back to these, and I must admit, the more I look at them the more I like them.....especially #4! (y)

I won't go so far as to say you have totally converted me, but.......:D

I luffs them Chris but you know me, I like to have a bit of scenery in my shots as well... Definitely going to have to do a rally at some point this year, just need to let real life settle down a bit first :)

You must come along ,get away to deepest wales for a day and forget lifes issues,and after you have done these bad boys , hillclimbs will seem very tame and boring.
lol,
Pons

I like those latest two Pons, I think those do balance scenery whilst still maintaining enough of the car for the car fans and of course and chock full of action to boot.

Well, I liked it anyway (y)

Back