coral timelapse

Fantastic work! I had to watch it a couple of times to see what was going on and be able to follow the text, but that's OK, it's so fascinating to see I could watch it over and over again.

Jon that is awesome, I love time lapse & that had me hooked, well done ! Have you checked out LRT4 there is very good deflicker tool included, you are limited in the free version to 400 images but well worth a look if you haven't already

cheers - yeah I considered that carefully and figured people could watch it a few times :)

Could use a bit of deflicker I think but I can't afford the plugin at the moment.
I played around with timelapse a few years ago (nothing special) I hit the flicker issue because I had used a tungsten light to light the scene. Someone told me how to remove it and I'm sure I didn't need an additional plugin for it. I'll have a think and see if I can remember how I did it...

cheers chaps - I'm using After Effects CS6 for the time-lapse assembly and I've tried a couple of de-flicker programmes. Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free seems to be most effective but the cost is prohibitive at the moment. The corals are lit with an LED fixture so I think there is a 'frequency issue' at play. Also, there are fish passing over the corals occasionally and there is also a glitter effect from turbulence at the water surface (I wouldn't want to reduce flow for the length of time it takes to record a clip). All surmountable issues... cost is the limiting factor as usual!

Similar work being produced by TidalGardens, CoralMorphologic and Daniel Stoupin incidentally :)

Last edited:
Very impressive work! Great colour and not something seen every day! :)

I can certainly say this is a first for me seeing something like this on here. Great work.

Are they all your own corals? I've just set up my first marine tank and I'm fascinated by them, but I only have fish for now because my tank isn't suitable for corals...yet. Not a lot of people know that they are technically animals (or marine invertebrates), what ever the technical name is.

Last edited:
Back