Cormorant.

Don't think I've ever seen one this close up, I usually see them sitting on rocks off the coast, drying their wings.

This is really different , I don`t think I seen one on the ground , they either high up in trees or half submerged in water . I know they are detested by a lot of Lake owners and Fisherman , but they are quite a spectacular bird when you get to see them properly like here . Great detail , well done .

Don't think I've ever seen one this close up, I usually see them sitting on rocks off the coast, drying their wings.
This is really different , I don`t think I seen one on the ground , they either high up in trees or half submerged in water . I know they are detested by a lot of Lake owners and Fisherman , but they are quite a spectacular bird when you get to see them properly like here . Great detail , well done .

Thanks both. It's the same for me, I usually see them on cliffs or in trees, or down in the harbour, where they sit and sun themselves on the old pillars for an ancient bridge. I see them on the river itself quite often but never on the ground like this. I had watched it earlier from a road bridge, it was swimming down the edge of the river, I could see the ripples. I was hoping it was an Otter at first. I watched the Cormorant eventually climb out of the water and sit on the banking.I left and forgot about it. I returned half an hour later heading back to the car and the Cormorant was still there and I managed to get within about 25 feet of it.

Lovely image Dale (y)

Hope you don't mind, I wonder if it is a little on the green side with WB/Tint?

EDIT .. to add an edit, delete if you want :)

Don't mind at all Gav, thanks for the suggestion. (y)

Probably a bit more legal with a camera though.
unfortunately were not allowed to shoot them with guns on my lake due to its location( i have a fishing lake), so we have to employ other means to deter them , anglers call them the black death, i've no objection to them in the sea, that's their natural habitat after all but they can decimate fisheries in a short time

They can be shot under certain circumstance and under licence I believe, although it's a long time now since I had anything to do with gun law.

I don't want to turn this thread into a debate though, it's about the photo. (y)

Back