Corn Snake.

You and our @Cobra need to compare (snakes) notes!

I've always wanted to keep a snake but have never had the lifestyle that would suit ownership and care of them. I'm glad I can live vicariously through beautiful photos like this though.

Lovely snake! great photo too!!

Everytime i try an photograph my snakes, They just try and destroy me:
Mangrove Snakes - want to destroy me
False Water Cobra - wont ever sit still
Blandings tree snake - wants to destroy me
Green cat snake - just slithers away. Gotta love them!

You and our @Cobra need to compare (snakes) notes!

Lovely snakes, great colours (y)

We have done in the past. :)

Cheers guys.

I've always wanted to keep a snake but have never had the lifestyle that would suit ownership and care of them. I'm glad I can live vicariously through beautiful photos like this though.

Cheers.

Once set up, they're quite easy to care for. They need fresh water and get fed dead mice or rats. I prefer using rats myself. Then it's a case of cleaning, usually a day or 2 after a feed. They need a large viv, they can grow to 5 feet (ish).

You can handle Corns, they are not venomous and they are quite happy in most cases to slither around your hand and through your fingers. The more they are handled, the more settled they can be. It's best not to handle them before a moult. I have been bitten by both mine but it's a very light graze type wound and hardly noticeable. The bites have been from my mistakes, everytime. Keep the bites clean though as snakes can carry some nasties, salmonella being one. Always wash your hands after handling, feeding etc.

If they are threatened, they can musk, which basically means they dump the contents of their belly. That stuff honks.

They are a big commitment though, they can live for well over 20 years.

I'm not an expert on snakes by any means, this is just observations from my ownership, 15 years now.

Lovely snake! great photo too!!

Everytime i try an photograph my snakes, They just try and destroy me:
Mangrove Snakes - want to destroy me
False Water Cobra - wont ever sit still
Blandings tree snake - wants to destroy me
Green cat snake - just slithers away. Gotta love them!

Thanks.

Wow, that's some collection.

Last edited:
Not sure if it is the done thing to add a photo to someone elses thread, but your photo reminded me of a photo I took when I first got my D3300. I went to a crocodile santuary in France and took a great photo of a snake, not sure what it is, but wondered if it was ok to add it here?

Not sure if it is the done thing to add a photo to someone elses thread, but your photo reminded me of a photo I took when I first got my D3300. I went to a crocodile santuary in France and took a great photo of a snake, not sure what it is, but wondered if it was ok to add it here?

We tend not to add photos to other folk's threads but it's fine this time, charge on. (y)

Understood, thnx.

embed

Understood, thnx.

embed
Its a Red tailed racer or

Gonyosoma oxycephalum

I kept these around 15 years ago and had good eggs from what i can remember

Back