Cornwall locations

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I am off down to Cornwall on holiday for the last two weeks in September and staying just a few miles from Padstow.

I have been doing a bit more landscapes lately and was looking for some local knowledge of locations to go to.

I don't really do many seascapes and was thin king of trying to catch a few sunsets at the coast.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Best advice I can give you is to use the Photographers' Ephemeris to find out exactly where the sun will be setting then use OS maps (or Google Earth) to find beaches that give a view in that direction.

Enjoy your stay in Cornwall, it's a beautiful county.

Providing it hasn't been harvested yet, there is a nice cornfield up the steps from the war memorial overlooking the bay up from the harbour.

youve got port isaac and tintagel just up the road from there. A couple of lovely spots.

Thanks guys, I have the sun calc app on my phone as well as one for tide times. I will be travelling over most of Cornwall when we are down so can easily head to the south coast as well.

Take the B3301 from Hayle to Perranporth for a coast road that has some stunning scenery from huge dunes to 300ft cliffs. Chapel Porth just off this road is a very nice cove with a NT car park at the bottom. Any day with a SW wind(10 to 20kmh) will have Paragliders flying from here or in a N from the Haven Holiday park at Perranporth (small fee for parking on the campsite) If your feeling enegetic then the walk from Chapel Porth to St Agnes Head will give you a choice of stunning scenery and some interesting old mine workings. In anything from a SW to N wind you will find model gliders at St Agnes Head some scale ones up to 6m on a nice day.
Heading from Padstow to Newquay on the coast road has lots of wonderful opportunities, Constantine Beach, Bedruthen Steps, Mawgan Porth all worth a photo or two. Watergate Bay has surfers and kite flyers on most days and there is a lay by on the left hand side as you leave Watergate towards Newquay which offers a great spot.
If your heading to Tintagel you may want to call into Trebarwith Strand a less well trodden part of Cornwall with a atmospheric little harbour now hardly used or visited.

Last edited:
I am counting to spend the bank holiday in Cornwall...I've been already at Tintagel, very nice...not sure how good for long exposure sea photos. I am interested for new locations as well.

Sebas, I find the little beach just west of Tintagel better for long exposures. Look for Trebarwith Strand on an OS map (the pub on the West side of the cliffs does great food if you're there at feeding time!)

Back