SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Right,

I am thinking that as the Pyrenee's are out due to having to Quarintine on arrival in France for two weeks where else I can go for my Autumn. Scottish weather in October is not for me.

Italy is on the safe list. But I DO NOT FLY and WILL NOT entertain flying. So to get to Italy I can sail direct to the Netherlands, Belgium and drive down. Simple. Except you have to enter via Austria and that will be hard as it is on the NO go list. As is Holland but they don't make you Quarintine on arrival so I could sail Newcastle-Amersterdam and drive the rest via Germany and just go through Austria without stopping to get round the Quarintine no go thing.

Is this a dumb idea or is it possible.

How about Belgium, Switzerland, Italy? Did that myself a few years ago. Not sure if Belguin and Switzerland are no go areas mind :)

Edit Can you still get Ferries to Zeebrugge?

Last edited:
Switzerland is on the Scottish sh*t list.

Looks like it's do-able. From the Dutch goverment website you can travel through the NL without stopping to another country in a private motor car. From Germany, Austria, Italy it is plain sailing.

Risky though should the rules change. Tempted...very...but risky.

Im not sure how practical it is to drive straight through Austria without getting out of the car- but it may be an option?

Private vehicles
You don’t need to self-isolate if you travel through a non-exempt country, territory or region and you don’t stop there.

If you do make a stop, you don’t need to self-isolate if:

• no new people get into the vehicle
  • no-one in the vehicle gets out, mixes with other people, and gets in again
You do need to self-isolate if you make a stop and:

• new people get into the vehicle, or
  • someone gets out of the vehicle, mixes with other people and gets in again

from

Im not sure how practical it is to drive straight through Austria without getting out of the car- but it may be an option?

Private vehicles
You don’t need to self-isolate if you travel through a non-exempt country, territory or region and you don’t stop there.

If you do make a stop, you don’t need to self-isolate if:

• no new people get into the vehicle
  • no-one in the vehicle gets out, mixes with other people, and gets in again
You do need to self-isolate if you make a stop and:

• new people get into the vehicle, or
  • someone gets out of the vehicle, mixes with other people and gets in again

from

It is about 3hrs top to bottom. I know as I did it 3 years back via Brenner Pass to Bavaria.

So long as I get out of the NL without stopping I can stop in Germany and Austria going too....and back through to the UK without stopping in Austria as there will be a greater than two week gap between outward and return journeys.

But if the rules change I am screwed and getting back with a car will be more interesting

Im pretty sure at the moment its a safe bet the rules will change.
It's far too volatile a situation to contemplate something like that at the moment surely?

That;s my fear. It's technically do-able at present rules but if they change it will be hard to get back. Particularly with a private car.

It's technically do-able at present rules but if they change it will be hard to get back.

An aside - and not the same it took me three months to get back from Australia because of COVID. When I eventually managed it there were 6 of us on the plane

Last edited:
What about Galicia in northern Spain, by ferry from Portsmouth-Bilbao or Santander?

Nowhere in the UK you fancy Steve?

Not as much as Dolomites BUT discretion being the better part of valour I do know it is altogether more sensible to stay put.

If only our weather was better I wouldn't even contemplate it. I got next weeks forecast for all the spots I like here. Wind and rain. I'll get nice weather there but I am on the fence as I don't know if I will enjoy it worrying about all the rules and potential ball ache if it goes wrong.

What about Galicia in northern Spain, by ferry from Portsmouth-Bilbao or Santander?

I see the Spanish aren't making you Quarintine on arrival. That solves the Pyrenees. Quarintining back here isn't a problem or issue - just is going out.

Only worry with Spain is the short notice lockdowns.

Last edited:
Not as much as Dolomites BUT discretion being the better part of valour I do know it is altogether more sensible to stay put.

If only our weather was better I wouldn't even contemplate it. I got next weeks forecast for all the spots I like here. Wind and rain. I'll get nice weather there but I am on the fence as I don't know if I will enjoy it worrying about all the rules and potential ball ache if it goes wrong.

I can understand the urge to head for the dolomites, but I can't help thinking you'd do better to stay put this time, and have a great trip hopefully when things settle a bit (hopefully) next year

I'd give it a miss at the moment. The situation changes so quickly and you could end up with problems. I've had to cancel 3 trips this year due to changes in status decided by either UK or other European countries. Also, our August/September trip to Austria had complications - made detour to miss Luxembourg to get into Germany, then had to get the wife to fly home from Germany to avoid quarantine from stopping at the ferry in Calais. The France restriction was made after we left Blighty. Austria got added to the list the day after we left there to head back to Germany

I would wait for better times. That's what I am sadly doing. A week in Scotland if I'm lucky with the weather and that will be it for 2020. Hopefully I will be able to do it in style once the VW T6 project materialises.

This tyranny will have to give as absolutely everyone I talk to (clients, friends, people in Tesco) know this is all just a crazy mad power-grab and even MPs are fed up with it.

Sorry to be a moody git but....
I`m waiting for the vaccine, its not even nice walking around anywhere or doing anything much now.
Everyone treats you like you have Leprosy just for starters.

This tyranny will have to give as absolutely everyone I talk to (clients, friends, people in Tesco) know this is all just a crazy mad power-grab and even MPs are fed up with it.

It's getting a bit silly - in Spain 0.3% of the population actually have it. All this fuss over 0.3%. Of that 0.3% maybe 1% will die. So you have a 0.03% chance of death. Factor in practical social distancing and living healthy and having an outdoors trip - I doubt I'd even catch the wuhan special.

I think 0.1% of the UK population have it - the shrill hysteria is getting nuts - but the Tyranny is all over Europe.

I could easily sail to Bilbao, drive down to Ordesa Y Monte Perdido National Park (My favourite area to shoot) but I would be worry the Spanish do their own silly lockdowns when it goes from 0.3% of people to 0.4% of people.

61% increase in infections in the UK in the last week and growing!
Almost 50,000 people have died of this virus in the UK since this started earlier in the year and many others are now suffering long-term after effects ... it really isn't something to take lightly.

FWIW...Caravanners and Motorhomers returning from the continent travel, as normal, through France...But do but stop/get out of the vehicles in France. This seems to be acceptable.....Many travel every day!.....As I said...FWIW.

61% increase in infections in the UK in the last week and growing!
Almost 50,000 people have died of this virus in the UK since this started earlier in the year and many others are now suffering long-term after effects ... it really isn't something to take lightly.

Do you know anyone and please do not include heart disease, COPD and cancer or car cash deaths WITH covid? People are actually going to die because they can't see a GP or get hospital appointments. My dad is getting screwed over in 3 different ways, including not being able to fix dental infection. I guess we are just waiting until he is dead with covid. Millions in the third world are starving and dying. This is so sick and crazy.

I doubt I'd even catch the wuhan special.

Most of us likely had it, you just probably never even knew. Mine was 1 hour flu in April, gone 1 hour later. Of course no tests to prove it, not that I care anyway. Testing with PCR for an active virus is so wrong to begin with. It is qualitative vs quantitative test and you should by all means be doing the latter.

You have to be in s*** health and deficient of vitamins and minerals to be at any serious risk.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a moody git but....
I`m waiting for the vaccine, its not even nice walking around anywhere or doing anything much now.
Everyone treats you like you have Leprosy just for starters.

and sorry to be an anti-social git
I'd normally prefer if people kept their distance from me always lol :D

all my trips have been cancelled this year inc. one to Scotland because I cannot get on the trains without suffocating or facing heavy fines.

I'd just suggest you wait it out this year and plan for next. its getting a little silly in some place and worst part is you never know when the rules will change where. its not like they will give you much notice.

Do you know anyone and please do not include heart disease, COPD and cancer or car cash deaths WITH covid? People are actually going to die because they can't see a GP or get hospital appointments. My dad is getting screwed over in 3 different ways, including not being able to fix dental infection. I guess we are just waiting until he is dead with covid. Millions in the third world are starving and dying. This is so sick and crazy.
Yes I know people who contracted Covid-19 in March ... they are young, they didn't die but they have long-term dibilitating after effects, like many others. Are you saying that the statistics showing nearly 50,000 deaths is a hoax?

This will encorage people in bad financial position to get tested and will fuel the numbers sky high. I too want 500 if I have no business in November.

Yes I know people who contracted Covid-19 in March ... they are young, they didn't die but they have long-term dibilitating after effects, like many others. Are you saying that the statistics showing nearly 50,000 deaths is a hoax?

Read the BBC article from July https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724

They admit counting methodology is highly flawed and these numbers are WITH but by no means OF and that's a huge difference. I hope that makes sense.

It's sad to hear you know of bad cases, - have they had serious pre-existing conditions?. Nodoby from my family and clients have heard of a single serious case... We all only know Boris if I can even believe it. Charles was a fake for sure.

They admit counting methodology is highly flawed and these numbers are WITH but by no means OF and that's a huge difference. I hope that makes sense.

It's sad to hear you know of bad cases, - have they had serious pre-existing conditions?. Nodoby from my family and clients have heard of a single serious case... We all only know Boris if I can even believe it. Charles was a fake for sure.

I think it is all too easy to try to look for ways to ignore the numbers and the serious effects of the virus if it affects income ... 'who cares if people die as long as we can go on selling/drinking beer' - or whatever else you buy/sell.
Over 1 million people worldwide have lost their lives and that is an acknowledged underestimate due to resistance or inability from some countries in providing accurate or any figures.
The people I know had no pre-existing conditions and were young and healthy, they now just can't function for several days each month.

I think Charles had it - just didn't take it badly as although he is old, he is fit and healthy. Boris is fat and slobby so would take it badly, Hancock isn't and was up and about in no time.

I don't see a walking/photography trip to Europe posing any real risk.

Edit - I know of 5 cases. One gravely in and unexpected as fit/not fat/not old/no health conditions. Three standard sniffle and one ok with some odd side affects.

Last edited:
Most of us likely had it, you just probably never even knew. Mine was 1 hour flu in April, gone 1 hour later. Of course no tests to prove it, not that I care anyway. Testing with PCR for an active virus is so wrong to begin with. It is qualitative vs quantitative test and you should by all means be doing the latter.

You have to be in s*** health and deficient of vitamins and minerals to be at any serious risk.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

The counting method had changed since that article back in July, and the official figure for total deaths you'll see in the headlines now reflects it. But we know that, aside from this specific issue, it's an underestimate, partly because quite a lot of people died in the community at the peak of the 'first wave' without being tested at the time. The ONS figure, which lags behind the headline figure but relies on certified cause of death, is substantially higher.

I think it is all too easy to try to look for ways to ignore the numbers and the serious effects of the virus if it affects income ... 'who cares if people die as long as we can go on selling/drinking beer' - or whatever else you buy/sell.
Over 1 million people worldwide have lost their lives and that is an acknowledged underestimate due to resistance or inability from some countries in providing accurate or any figures.
The people I know had no pre-existing conditions and were young and healthy, they now just can't function for several days each month.

There is no doubt that its a really serious virus and should be treated as such. But the economic effects and effects on people who are unable to get treatment for other medical conditions is likely to have as much of an ongoing and debilitating effect. There is a balance

it's an underestimate, partly because quite a lot of people died in the community at the peak of the 'first wave' without being tested at the time. The ONS figure, which lags behind the headline figure but relies on certified cause of death, is substantially higher.

In some ways you are probably right: basically the numbers are just made up. We think my mum's friend had it in January, and it was a very bad cough for 3 weeks, today the official pre-test diagnosis would be very obvious resulting in quarantine. He is not in any statics, while others are after say dying in a car crash. I'm not convinced two wrongs make a right.
This year I'm eating a shed load of vitamin C, D and Zn and so far not a single bug thank God affected me in a bad way whereas in the previous years I would have 1-2 very bad colds; these can be just as deadly to fragile people. Preventing people from seeing GPs now will surely prove very deadly this winter. Phone calls are no good most of the time. Can I have blood pressure measured? No. Blood test? No. Lungs inspected? No. Just take a paracetamol, a sick note and F-OFF! That BS.
I guess I'm all for masks when you are sick and spreading bugs and that's good if we do that after this. I avoided all public transport due to infections long before this came here. My experience was mostly vomiting bugs after flying. Not pleasant at all - far worse than my probable covid case - and I'm not keen to repeat it any time soon.
I think we also ought to stop untested / non-marital sexual relationships because they are spreading very nasty bugs left and right. Let's include herpes too.

I think Charles had it - just didn't take it badly as although he is old, he is fit and healthy. Boris is fat and slobby so would take it badly, Hancock isn't and was up and about in no time.

That's a maybe. We will never know for sure. From a Makiavellian perspective it was very useful to show very high profile cases early on to instil fear into people. Boris I would say is likely after his stupid visit to AE a week earlier without a mask as if he was trying to catch it. I'm not sure I've seen any footage of him sick and in hospital and that is concerning. Whether intentional or not they did very well to cause massive fear which is instrumental in passing all draconian restrictions and take away liberties.

I don't see a walking/photography trip to Europe posing any real risk.

None. Exercise and sun only make you fitter and healthier. That's open and shut.

The worst you can do is visit a hospital, take a busy train and then go to a busy supermarket which we all do. Sitting home and no excercise is pretty bad too. Anyone up for "Second coming" full on medical martial law?

In fact if that comes, I'd rather be in may car, in sensible country in europe like Switzerland with some chance to make some money do work for business that are still coping. No point coming back to be locked up in a house arrest!

Last edited:
It seems a bit risky Steve as things are changing quickly. On the other hand life is for living and what an awful year it's been so you could say sod it and treat yourself.

As nasty as it can be the virus has certainly been overhyped, it was 24th on August's causes of death list, and lockdowns with the poverty they have caused and are causing, and the lack of access to healthcare will kill more than Covid itself. These measures are highly debated by leading epidemiologists (science is not a consensus despite Johnson's claims), many saying masks don't prevent spread of viruses and actually cause other health complications, and social isolation and being cooped indoors causes serious physical and mental health issues which suppresses the immune system and makes more people likely to get ill. Also almost all saying vaccines may never come as there hasn't been a successful one for any type of coronavirus before. You can lock people up forever but at what cost to overall health and society?

It seems a bit risky Steve as things are changing quickly. On the other hand life is for living and what an awful year it's been so you could say sod it and treat yourself.

As nasty as it can be the virus has certainly been overhyped, it was 24th on August's causes of death list, and lockdowns with the poverty they have caused and are causing, and the lack of access to healthcare will kill more than Covid itself. These measures are highly debated by leading epidemiologists (science is not a consensus despite Johnson's claims), many saying masks don't prevent spread of viruses and actually cause other health complications, and social isolation and being cooped indoors causes serious physical and mental health issues which suppresses the immune system and makes more people likely to get ill. Also almost all saying vaccines may never come as there hasn't been a successful one for any type of coronavirus before. You can lock people up forever but at what cost to overall health and society?

I've long maintained the view that the cure is worse than the disease. We are doing untold long term damage to our country, our futures and presents with the current M/O. For once, the Swede's are leading the way with a common sense approach. The back log of cancer treatments, extra suicides, mental health affects etc are dreadful and the shrill message isn't helping either. Go out and you kill your nan....

Now we have a deeper understanding of the disease - the draconian measures in place are not required. In many senses it probably pays more to allow travel, the pub and restaurant trade to carry on as BAU and keep the schools/Uni's shut. At least the former pays tax and keeps the country afloat - ie these are economically active sectors - the latter are economically inactive sectors and as such shouldn't be given priority to re-open. Plus our education system is hardly world class - what exactly would the kids miss out on other than extended holiday.

Me - I would love to go. I love the really big mountains and it's been a lousy year - but the Spanish are prone to random shut downs and hassle, and the Dolomites route requires too many other places to pass through.

Heart says sod it go. Head says it could be a massive ballache if I am stuck in a lockdown over there and try a few more local things. I've had a bumper year photography wise at home - simply as the summer has been usually clement

A bit difficult to 'overhype' a virus that has already killed a million in 9 months and will kill millions more without a vaccine or genuinely effective public health measures. Fewer people were dying of covid in August because we were in the middle of lockdown that was pretty effective at stopping transmissions. A small number of 'sceptical' scientists who seem to have their own axes to grind have c;laimed that we don't need lockdowns or masks, but they are very much in the minority:

Several of them, despite being respected in their fields and making some valid points, have said some pretty silly things about the virus, which doesn't help with their credibility here. Karol Sikora has pushed the idea that the virus has become less virulent by mutation, contrary to the evidence. Sunetra Gupta thinks most of us might already have caught the virus and become immune, which is also not supported by the evidence. Tom Jefferson and Carl Heneghan have promoted a fringe theory that the virus, rather than spreading via human to human transmission starting in China, was already ubiquitous around the world until it was activated by some mysterious process, which is frankly daft.

We don't have vaccines for the other coronaviruses, but four of them mostly just cause cold symptoms, one (SARS) is no longer circulating in the human population, and the other (MERS) doesn't transmit that efficiently between people and has never caused a really large outbreak, so there hasn't been anything like the kind of incentive we have now. We will very soon have the results from the first phase 3 trials from multiple parallel vaccine candidate programmes, at which point we can make informed decisions about what to do next.

In countries like South Korea (which has used highly effective test/trace/isolate without a lockdown) and New Zealand (where the virus has largely been eliminated) people don't have to choose between becoming infected and living isolated lives. We are where we are because of previous and ongoing failures in public health policy. In Sweden, where unproven ideas about herd immunity were allowed to dictate policy, there have been more per capita deaths and no better economic consequences than in other Scandinavian countries, and stricter measure are now being introduced.

Me - I would love to go. I love the really big mountains and it's been a lousy year - but the Spanish are prone to random shut downs and hassle, and the Dolomites route requires too many other places to pass through.

I wouldn't go to Spain unless you fancy being told you can't leave for X months. Anywhere with socialist or globalist/UN (i.e. Australia, China and NZ as prime examples) government is now essentially a no go list. Italy is hardly any safer bet but at least you have a chance of escape to Austria or Switzerland if you act quickly - and be prepared to stay there for a while. That's pretty s***.

You are in Scotland where you might be under effective house arrest tomorrow if the SNP feel like it and that is even more s***. I'm not even sure I will get my 1 week there this year at all.
Wales are down the tube and they are openly angry about it even on places like BBC. This will not end up well to the architects and executioners of this martial law.

We don't have vaccines for the other coronaviruses, but four of them mostly just cause cold symptoms, one (SARS) is no longer circulating in the human population, and the other (MERS) doesn't transmit that efficiently between people and has never caused a really large outbreak, so there hasn't been anything like the kind of incentive we have now. We will very soon have the results from the first phase 3 trials from multiple parallel vaccine candidate programmes, at which point we can make informed decisions about what to do next.

Cold is a nasty thing and it causes downtime at work and some measurable economic loss. People would be happy to eliminate it from their lives. That's point no. 1.
No. 2. Some poor epidemiologist would surely think of trying this, because why not. Research is research. And they have, I'm sure. Results? Hopeless...

I certainly don't want to be injected with some poorly tested contraption against a disease that barely cause any symptoms lighter than mildest cold to most people. Not a chance in hell.
Nasty side effects are already being widely reported from test trials.

New Zealand (where the virus has largely been eliminated) people don't have to choose between becoming infected and living isolated lives.

Yes, you can't leave your house in NZ. Australia go another step
Part 11 div 2!!!!

A bit difficult to 'overhype' a virus that has already killed a million in 9 months and will kill millions more

Question: how many will die of starvation this year?

---- conflicts?

----- lack of access to healtcare and early diagnosis of disease?

----- murder, stabbings?

Much much much much higher....

hint: https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/04/1062272

Noting that the global spread of COVID-19 this year has sparked “the worst humanitarian crisis since World War Two”, Executive Director of the World Food Programme (WFP) David Beasley pointed to deepening crises, more frequent natural disasters and changing weather patterns, saying “we’re already facing a perfect storm”.

As millions of civilians in conflict-scarred nations teeter on the brink of starvation, he said, “famine is a very real and dangerous possibility”.

Mr. Beasley painted a grim picture of 135 million people facing crisis levels of hunger or worse, coupled with an additional 130 million on the edge of starvation prompted by Coronavirus, noting that WFP currently offers a lifeline to nearly 100 million people – up from about 80 million just a few years ago.

“If we can’t reach these people with the life-saving assistance they need, our analysis shows that 300,000 people could starve to death every single day over a three-month period”, he upheld. “This does not include the increase of starvation due to COVID-19”.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go to Spain unless you fancy being told you can't leave for X months. Anywhere with socialist or globalist/UN (i.e. Australia, China and NZ as prime examples) government is now essentially a no go list. Italy is hardly any safer bet but at least you have a chance of escape to Austria or Switzerland if you act quickly - and be prepared to stay there for a while. That's pretty s***.

You are in Scotland where you might be under effective house arrest tomorrow if the SNP feel like it and that is even more s***. I'm not even sure I will get my 1 week there this year at all.
Wales are down the tube and they are openly angry about it even on places like BBC. This will not end up well to the architects and executioners of this martial law.

What we really need is a vaccine against conspiracy theories.

Cold is a nasty thing and it causes downtime at work and some measurable economic loss. People would be happy to eliminate it from their lives. That's point no. 1.
No. 2. Some poor epidemiologist would surely think of trying this, because why not. Research is research. And they have, I'm sure. Results? Hopeless...

I certainly don't want to be injected with some poorly tested contraption against a disease that barely cause any symptoms lighter than mildest cold to most people. Not a chance in hell.
Nasty side effects are already being widely reported from test trials.

The four endemic coronaviruses (each of which would probably needs its own vaccine or vaccine component) only account for a small fraction of all common colds; a couple of hundred subtypes from multiple virus families are involved. Vaccinating against them just isn't a practical proposition at the moment. And epidemiologists don't make vaccines.

It will of course be up to you whether you get vaccinated (Bill Gates isn't going to land on your lawn in a black helicopter, syringe in hand). But consider this - one possibility is that a successful vaccine may protect against disease, but not provide sterilising immunity against infection (some of the animal studies have suggested this). SARS-CoV-2 might then continue to circulate in the population, and you may always be at risk of infection, even if most people are vaccinated - i.e., herd immunity is far from guaranteed. And although only a small proportion of people die from COVID-19, significant numbers are suffering from long-term effects with an uncertain prognosis, something that really is 'poorly tested'.

Of course you can leave your house in NZ:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back