Coronavirus - Film Dev Lab and supplier closures

Well Filmdev have slowed down for me as it's coming up for nine days for a reply and thinking for the future:- if film becomes more popular and if manufacturers keep putting up the price of film and the dev companies don't meet the demand with a reasonable turn around time and price... then it would put many newbies off, well at least for colour.
That is of course always possible but we are living in extraordinary times, our local Royal Mail sorting office is still running with reduced staff, were only getting deliveries every 2 or 3 days, so everything is taking a little longer. I have no excuses for the over enthusiastic price rises though :(

Well Filmdev have slowed down for me as it's coming up for nine days for a reply and thinking for the future:- if film becomes more popular and if manufacturers keep putting up the price of film and the dev companies don't meet the demand with a reasonable turn around time and price... then it would put many newbies off, well at least for colour.
That is of course always possible but we are living in extraordinary times, our local Royal Mail sorting office is still running with reduced staff, were only getting deliveries every 2 or 3 days, so everything is taking a little longer. I have no excuses for the over enthusiastic price rises though :(

As Nick says, it's not exactly a normal time at the moment with regard to the postal service OR with suppliers. We don't know the situation with chemical delivery to labs or of course their workload. FIlmdev are a small, 2 man operation as I understand it so backlogs are expected. There are still many, full sized labs with many staff who can handle a much higher workflow than Fildev (not being critical of them, just a fact) who can meet demand. n fact, I just this morning watched a video from the FINDlab that said that have between 2,000 and 2,700 rolls go through their lab in a week and they are just one of the big players.

If demand increases either you expand and and increase profits through economies of scale, or you stay the same size and increase prices to reduce demand to a sustainable level, while increasing profits. If film continues to increase in popularity, the trend across the industry will be for the former and those who adopt the latter will lose out through competition. So let’s hope film continues to increase in popularity. Maybe camera manufacturers will start to produce new film cameras too!... maybe.

Well it's just on 27th April (received) Filmdev took seven days (2nd class post to them)..... now? Well it would be interesting to know:- is it because of the virus or people switching to them, if people are switching, unless they somehow ramp up turn around we will never get our shots back fairly quickly.

Well it's just on 27th April (received) Filmdev took seven days (2nd class post to them)..... now? Well it would be interesting to know:- is it because of the virus or people switching to them, if people are switching, unless they somehow ramp up turn around we will never get our shots back fairly quickly.

I expect it's a combination of factors caused mostly by the pandemic:
  • The postal service is running at reduced capacity so deliveries are taking longer.
  • Some labs have closed, so people will be moving their business to those still open, increasing their workload and waiting times.
  • Labs that are open might be running at reduced capacity due to people not being at work or social distancing meaning operations have had to be changed into less efficient versions.
  • Labs that now have more workload are unable to increase capacity, perhaps because the investment required may not be viable once the pandemic ends, or because they do not have the ability or desire to do so in any case.
It's something we will just have to put up with for now. There are far worse things happening.

I would assume it’s due to the pandemic - they’ve probably reduced their staff for social distancing. Maybe also people having more time on their hands so shooting more film. Maybe other dev labs closing. They said they have stopped receiving new orders until they’ve dealt with the backlog.

Just had an email from AG that my film which I sent them a week last Friday is ready for processing. Had an apology mail from them last week. Looking forward to seeing the first E6 from my Selfix.
Apart from anything else, I think there's been a surge in interest of film use. Maybe due to Covid-boredom, or the amount of press it's been getting (AP especially).

Just had an email from AG that my film which I sent them a week last Friday is ready for processing. Had an apology mail from them last week. Looking forward to seeing the first E6 from my Selfix.
Apart from anything else, I think there's been a surge in interest of film use. Maybe due to Covid-boredom, or the amount of press it's been getting (AP especially).
I should think the increase is also due to people finding cameras while they’re clearing out their lofts, basements, spare rooms etc. I’m hoping there may be a glut of secondhand cameras on the market and there will be some bargains to be had and also once charity shops open they might have some interesting stuff on their shelves.

I should think the increase is also due to people finding cameras while they’re clearing out their lofts, basements, spare rooms etc. I’m hoping there may be a glut of secondhand cameras on the market and there will be some bargains to be had and also once charity shops open they might have some interesting stuff on their shelves.

That must be the most cheerful and encourging thought I've heard in what seems like a lifetime.

:):):)

that’s because you keep seeing Brian’s posts about how the world of film photography is doomed.

My life was ruined when Asda (and before them Tesco) stopped doing film...after finishing my film could see the results in 50 mins (weekdays) and that included travelling 8 miles to get there. Filmie life is getting worse compared to only a few years ago esp cheap film and more choice :(

I would assume it’s due to the pandemic - they’ve probably reduced their staff for social distancing. Maybe also people having more time on their hands so shooting more film. Maybe other dev labs closing. They said they have stopped receiving new orders until they’ve dealt with the backlog.

Hooray Filmdev have done my film....so what happens now with finished film do we wait until we get the OK from Filmdev or go to Chris's site to find someone else. Also I thought Filmdev was a close family business so no distancing rules for them?

Also I thought Filmdev was a close family business so no distancing rules for them?

If they're receiving far more films to process than before, then it will slow them down. They won't be able to increase their workforce presumably, and even if they could, they will still have the same amount of scanners etc. as before which might limit their maximum output.

I'm not sure how they arrange their mail either - they may have to make trip to the post office with developed negatives, in which case they'll probably be limiting those as much as possible.

Last edited:
If they're receiving far more films to process than before, then it will slow them down. They won't be able to increase their workforce presumably, and even if they could, they will still have the same amount of scanners etc. as before which might limit their maximum output.

I'm not sure how they arrange their mail either - they may have to make trip to the post office with developed negatives, in which case they'll probably be limiting those as much as possible.

So it looks like no more quick returns from them :(

So it looks like no more quick returns from them :(

Well, possibly not at the moment but things will return to near normal before too long. You know there are worse things happening in the world than a slow delivery of our crappy images. :rolleyes:

...but at my age I'm running out of time o_O:D

We're all running out of time Brian, there's nowt so sure as death and taxes, to misquote Wilde.:D

eBay seems a bit odd at the moment - I'm looking at the bottom end of the market - there's lots of cameras coming up for sale, but the starting prices / buy it now prices seem to be particularly high.
I've no idea if they're selling at these (inflated) prices.
This seems to be contrary to what I'd expect - greater supply should lead to lower prices.

In other news, my processor - Snaps of Bournemouth - are operating again, I got a single film (colour, 35mm, half-frame) back in ten days.

We're all running out of time Brian, there's nowt so sure as death and taxes, to misquote Wilde.:D

Ah but when you get to 80 and onwards there is not much you can plan for the future as you haven't got one. :(...and back to photography o_O I used Snaps of Bournmouth in the past for 120 film (Asda didn't do it) and found them VG.

Next time you're up to your armpits in troublesome kids, just remember what you've got to be thankful for... you're not as near to death as half of TPFC! ;)

Haha! I'm starting to think I might trade the difference. I think I might be doing it already!

eBay seems a bit odd at the moment - I'm looking at the bottom end of the market - there's lots of cameras coming up for sale, but the starting prices / buy it now prices seem to be particularly high.
I've no idea if they're selling at these (inflated) prices.
This seems to be contrary to what I'd expect - greater supply should lead to lower prices.

In other news, my processor - Snaps of Bournemouth - are operating again, I got a single film (colour, 35mm, half-frame) back in ten days.

Ffordes and WYC along with every other reasonably priced UK retailer are running out of stock leading to greater demand on eBay. Buying from outside the UK is also more risky with postal vagaries.
I'm after a couple of pre-ai Nikkors and a Canon LTM lens whose purchase are on hold for the time being as they're only available from Japanese eBay sellers.

hi all, who are you using just for a develop, scan and email back service? Don’t have a PC, so need files emailed or downloadable. Thanks in advance.

hi all, who are you using just for a develop, scan and email back service? Don’t have a PC, so need files emailed or downloadable. Thanks in advance.

erm do you mean "you do have a PC?" some companies dev and scan and you can download the jpgs..some others will send you a CD with the jpgs on.

erm do you mean "you do have a PC?" some companies dev and scan and you can download the jpgs..some others will send you a CD with the jpgs on.

Sorry I meant I don’t have a PC and just use an iPad. So need the files emailed or somewhere I can download from.

Filmdev use WeTransfer(y)

FilmDev are no longer taking orders. Not realised before how well priced they are - half the cost of other options like AG and DS...
I had sent a film off the day before seeing Tom's post (ie 15th May). I sent them an apologetic message... got the email last Thursday (28th May), paid in the evening and scans downloaded Friday.

Nothing useful for FPOTY... but some initial confirmation that I do have a light leak in my LX... :( Will have to wait for the negs to come back to confirm. ISTR the seals look fine...

I had sent a film off the day before seeing Tom's post (ie 15th May). I sent them an apologetic message... got the email last Thursday (28th May), paid in the evening and scans downloaded Friday.

Nothing useful for FPOTY... but some initial confirmation that I do have a light leak in my LX... :( Will have to wait for the negs to come back to confirm. ISTR the seals look fine...
Looks like they may be running at about a couple of weeks turnround, so fingers crossed they'll have caught up by mid month.:thinking:

Last edited:
What turnaround are people getting from AG at the moment? From when they've marked the film as arrived in the lab to getting the scans from wetransfer?
It was about 10 days from posting the film to getting an acknowledgement. About 4 days to them dispatching. Another week or so before I got the negs back. Didn’t have it scanned.

I put 2 rolls of E6 into them on 17/5 and got them back a couple of days ago. 2 weeks, which considering it was E6, was pretty impressive IMO.

Just sent a couple of rolls of C41 off yesterday though as Filmdev aren't taking new stuff. Not worried on speed. WOuld rather people stayed safe.

It was about 10 days from posting the film to getting an acknowledgement. About 4 days to them dispatching. Another week or so before I got the negs back. Didn’t have it scanned.
Is that due to the E6 slide film? I know they take longer with E6 (they perhaps need to wait for a batch to make it worthwhile processing them, as E6 is much less popular than C41 or B&W?). I sent a 35mm roll of Ektachrome to them last year for develop, high res scan and mounting, and ISTR it took a good week and a half or so to come back (as per the indicated turnaround on their website at the time). They made a nice job of it though. (y)

Is that due to the E6 slide film? I know they take longer with E6 (they perhaps need to wait for a batch to make it worthwhile processing them, as E6 is much less popular than C41 or B&W?). I sent a 35mm roll of Ektachrome to them last year for develop, high res scan and mounting, and ISTR it took a good week and a half or so to come back (as per the indicated turnaround on their website at the time). They made a nice job of it though. (y)
Yes, E6 Velvia 120. Process and contact print only.

I've only just noticed, but Peak Imaging are open again. The walk-in reception is still closed, but they are processing mail orders.

View: https://www.facebook.com/PeakImaging/posts/3905591692844778

We are please to say that we are now implementing a phased return to production and we aim to be despatching orders by 1st June. It will be with a smaller team to start with so please bear with us and your orders will be completed as soon as possible.

Our reception area will remain closed initially to enable us to concentrate on the orders we currently have but if you have any urgent requirements please call/email and we will aim to accommodate you.

The support from you all during our temporary closure has been overwhelming and thankyou so much for your patience and understanding. We look forward to working with you all again.

Many thanks.

The packet of negatives turned up today, which I was very surprised at. I didn't kick it to the side to marinate overnight as I usually do, but opened it and extracted the negs (and then washed my hands!). As I feared, there are signs of light leak in the sprocket area on top side of the negative (bottom of image). The seals look absolutely fine, but I've emailed Jon Goodman for a quote, for a new set, but have not heard back yet (impatient, moi?)...

Just noticed that Filmdev are taking orders again, but ONLY C41 films, not regular B&W:

https://filmdev.co.uk/

Filmdev are a small mail order family run business. Please note due to the reduction in our capacity during the coronavirus (COVID19) pandemic we are now accepting orders for C41 Colour films only.

Please check your order before posting as all black and films will be returned and subject to a small parcel postage charge. If you are unsure please contact us!

We are sorry for any inconvenience and we would like to thank all our customers for your continued support during this difficult time and that you all stay safe.

Regards

David & Debbie (Filmdev)

Updated 12/06/2020

I rang them to confirm if "C41 Colour films only" includes C41 B&W, such as Ilford XP2, and they confirmed that it does.

Just noticed that Filmdev are taking orders again, but ONLY C41 films, not regular B&W:

https://filmdev.co.uk/

I rang them to confirm if "C41 Colour films only" includes C41 B&W, such as Ilford XP2, and they confirmed that it does.
Good to hear this Nige. I've also just had an update from Ag on their current situation, and quote it complete so others can see what current turnround times are. My films in a first class Ag mailer took a week to be received, but that's down to the Royal Mail. (click to expand for full details)

CURRENT LEAD TIMES.
We have recently become very busy indeed - this means our lead times are around double that of normal. If you have an urgent deadline, please let us know. We're working as hard as we can with Sunday shifts, and processors running into the early hours! We really appreciate your patience at this time, and thanks very much for your order, we really appreciate your business.

We will aim to turn around orders as fast as possible, depending on our workload and the complexity of your order. Most important to us is to maintain the very best quality in processing, scanning and printing.

IMPORTANT - If you need your work returned for a deadline please let us know, so we can work with you to meet your target.

Web transfer of Scan files
Customers who opt for transfer of their scan files over the web, please note that you may receive the scans in batches, especially if we are processing more than one film type for you (C41, B&W, E6) as different film types are not normally scanned at the same time and we upload directly after scanning. Thus, if you receive part of your scans, please expect the balance within the time frames below.

Current estimated turnaround times (but please see note above!):
Develop only C41 & B&W - normally within 24 hours of receipt.
Develop only E6 / dev & mount - normally within 3-5 days of receipt.
C41 & B&W with scans and/or prints - normally within 2-4 days of receipt.
E6 with scans or prints - normally 7-8 days.
E6 mounted AND prints or scans 8-14 days.
Prints only from Digital or Film - Normally within 24 hours of receipt.
Unsusal requests and obsolete processes - normally 14-28 days

If you have a deadline, please let us know so we can ensure it is met.

Back