Tutorial Correcting Verticals

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Craig_85 submitted a new resource:

Correcting Verticals - Using Lightroom to correct keystoning, with an option to recover missing pixels in Photoshop

There seem to be a lot of questions on TP at the moment, especially within the landscape sub forums, about correcting the verticals within a photograph.

The basic issue as we know is one of perspective. When we point a camera upwards, particularly with a wide angle lens attached, the vertical lines converge. Basically they get closer together nearer the top of the image, this is not normally noticed unless buildings are present but can be an issue even with things like trees near the edge...
Read more about this resource...

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks Craig! How much of a benefit do you find tilt-shift vs post processing? Or are the end results the same?

OP
OP
Craig_85
Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks Craig! How much of a benefit do you find tilt-shift vs post processing? Or are the end results the same?
No worries.

I would love a tilt shift lens, partly for the experience in using it, and when I shot canon I was going to buy one, but since moving to Nikon it's out of the question. Their 19mm pc-e is over £3k!

To answer your question just so long as the adjustments are not extreme, you stick to doing all your transform tweaks in one hit before locking them in, and are not printing massive I've never noticed any significant drop in IQ.

A leaning building would stand out more anyway!

Incidentally I was reading about someone the other day who has a 5DSR and Canons excellent 11-24mm and he shoots with the camera level, not pointing up at all, really wide and then just crops in to the top half of the image, still with 20MP to work with. Effectively gaining tilt shift capabilities.

Edit My Images
Yes
I really like the 'auto' uprights option in LR - has anyone found the keyboard shortcut for it ?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
No worries.

I would love a tilt shift lens, partly for the experience in using it, and when I shot canon I was going to buy one, but since moving to Nikon it's out of the question. Their 19mm pc-e is over £3k!

To answer your question just so long as the adjustments are not extreme, you stick to doing all your transform tweaks in one hit before locking them in, and are not printing massive I've never noticed any significant drop in IQ.

A leaning building would stand out more anyway!

Incidentally I was reading about someone the other day who has a 5DSR and Canons excellent 11-24mm and he shoots with the camera level, not pointing up at all, really wide and then just crops in to the top half of the image, still with 20MP to work with. Effectively gaining tilt shift capabilities.
The other way to do it is to turn the camera length ways - shooting wide and keeping level - crop the bottom off making a square. I do this a lot now ;)

A PCE 24mm is about £1500 - I had one - sold it which I regret but it had such lousy soft corners even centered on the tilt and on the shift plane. I might rebuy a better copy at a later date.