1. Craig_85

Craig_85

Name:
    Craig
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Craig_85 submitted a new resource:

Correcting Verticals - Using Lightroom to correct keystoning, with an option to recover missing pixels in Photoshop

Read more about this resource...

Dael_Pix likes this.
  2. newbie1

newbie1

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Craig! How much of a benefit do you find tilt-shift vs post processing? Or are the end results the same?

Craig_85 likes this.
  3. Craig_85

Craig_85

Name:
    Craig
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    No worries.

I would love a tilt shift lens, partly for the experience in using it, and when I shot canon I was going to buy one, but since moving to Nikon it's out of the question. Their 19mm pc-e is over £3k!

To answer your question just so long as the adjustments are not extreme, you stick to doing all your transform tweaks in one hit before locking them in, and are not printing massive I've never noticed any significant drop in IQ.

A leaning building would stand out more anyway!

Incidentally I was reading about someone the other day who has a 5DSR and Canons excellent 11-24mm and he shoots with the camera level, not pointing up at all, really wide and then just crops in to the top half of the image, still with 20MP to work with. Effectively gaining tilt shift capabilities.

newbie1 likes this.
  4. newbie1

newbie1

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Craig. Very helpful post.

5. trevjm

trevjm

Name:
    Trev
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hu Craig,

Thanks for the guide. Very informative. I learn something new every day on here :)

Craig_85 likes this.
  6. mikeyw

mikeyw

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I really like the 'auto' uprights option in LR - has anyone found the keyboard shortcut for it ?

7. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The other way to do it is to turn the camera length ways - shooting wide and keeping level - crop the bottom off making a square. I do this a lot now ;)

A PCE 24mm is about £1500 - I had one - sold it which I regret but it had such lousy soft corners even centered on the tilt and on the shift plane. I might rebuy a better copy at a later date.