corrupt card?

Edit My Images
Yes
I had a problem at the weekend with banding down a few pics, and some people on the forum suggested it might be a corrupt card. I have just had a look at some pics I took at some boxing tonight and I have another pic with banding and one that almost looks like it has been split in half and then the two halves pushed in opposite directions (if that makes sense). I used a different card, different lens, I wasn't shooting in raw as I was at the weekend. So the only common denominator is the camera ... or the laptop I have uploaded them on to. Anyone any ideas what could be causing it? Thanks

I had this problem with my card reader due to dust. Try that first, it'll be cheaper to replace than the camera

pics would help??

Are you formatting the cards in your camera or on your PC?

I've read several reports like this and most ended up being resolved by formatting in the camera.

Bob

Definately check all the cheaper solutions first, as already mentioned. Use a different computer, a different method for downloading and so on, eliminate all possibilities before looking at the camera. Also, I dont know if this has ever caused problems for anyone but Garys cooment had it occuring to me, make sure the memory card slot in the camera is clean too.

Thanks for all the tips. I realise pics would help but it was 2.30am when I posted and my bed was calling!! I will check the card reader ... which is built into my new laptop. I've never had the problem with my usual card reader. Now I am going to sound like a complete amateur ... but I have never formatted a card ... ever! I wouldn't know what to do! I generally stick my card in the camera and it's good to go ... or so I thought. Have I been acting really dumb???

Depends on the camera, best check with the manual. But simply put you find the part of the menu that says " Format Card" you press the appropriate button to select it. You usually then get a "Are you sure" type of message . Press the OK button . Done

It's usually a good idea that once you've copied all the images from your card, when you put it back in the camera to format it.

Don't format the card on your computer.

If you have more than one card number them. That way if you have a duff one you know which one to bin

I've had some similar problems a week or 2 ago. A set of shots looked OK when I viewed the pictures on the card in the camera, or in my PC via the card reader, but as soon as I copied the pics onto my PC I got a problem sounding very similar to what you describe.

It only happened once when I imported a large number of jpgs from a Rugby game into Picasa and saved all the pictures that had been automatically rotated to Portrait.

I did some googling and there was some vague reports of bugs between the Canon RAW viewer and Microsoft Windows XP and Vista.

To get around it I just didn't save the rotation changes in Picasa apart from the ones I had processed in Photoshop elements later. It didn't happen again, I suspect it might be something to do with the number of pictures.

Well, I don't think it's the camera, which is a huge relief! I have tried opening the suspect images straight from the card, rather than uploading them to the laptop ... and they are fine. There is obviously a problem with the in-built card reader or something to do with Vista. Either way, it's not the camera!

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have given the card reader a clean and maybe that will resolve the problem next time I try to put some pics on the laptop.

Back