Corrupt CF Card

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Just tried to load some of my weekend images via my Lexar CF card onto my PC and found only a few would copy over, those left on the card will not open, so I suspect the card is corrupted. Not going to take any more chances, so it's time for new..

It's been quite a while since I purchased a new memory card. Can anyone offer some thoughts on make of new cards, or are they much the same ?.
Thanks.

Sandisk would be my choice too- I have around 10 of them :eek: in the SD 16GB versions

Any NAND producers who sell their own cards are fine and a good call. Many third parties are too as they use the same NAND but you can never be sure.
Id stick to the following.
LEXAR
SANDISK
SAMSUNG

Your local Tesco will often have onsite deals on all three of those brands. Ive picked up 32GB LEXAR 1000x cards for about £25 before and £7ish for 32GB 90MB/s R 45MB/s W cards from SANDISK.

After a 4gig Lexar failed on me I have only ever bought Sandisk I have never had a card failure since.

However I have saved the images from another sandisk card that had been used over and over again by only deleting in camera images they had transferred over to pc using camera software.

When you buy a new Sandisk SD or CF or in some cases a memory stick you will get a free to use code for their recovery software that in my experience is very effective at sorting out a card that can otherwise not be read. So if you buy a sandisk card you will get the voucher and then you can the recovery software a try on the old card.

Its also worth getting into a routine of Putting card in camera and format it in camera then go on shoot, come home and remove card from camera and transfer the pictures over to pc - copy pictures to your "backup drive" you should have one! and then put card back in cam and once you have made sure you have your files and a copy of them, format the car in camera ready for next shoot! Its a faf at first but it has served me very well for a good while now and not one card issue!

We do this same process with all the video cams too and again no issues - over 120 sandisk cards ranging from 8gig to 128gig both SD card and CF cards

Good places to buy are

My Memory
Amazon UK - but only supplied and del by Amazon Never a third party!
Costco have great deals now and then

Thanks all. I have ordered one of each, cause I couldn't make my mind up.
1 x Sandisk 1 x Lexar, I thought the latter would be nice using the code to try and retrieve my missing files on the old Lexar card..

After a 4gig Lexar failed on me I have only ever bought Sandisk I have never had a card failure since.

However I have saved the images from another sandisk card that had been used over and over again by only deleting in camera images they had transferred over to pc using camera software.

When you buy a new Sandisk SD or CF or in some cases a memory stick you will get a free to use code for their recovery software that in my experience is very effective at sorting out a card that can otherwise not be read. So if you buy a sandisk card you will get the voucher and then you can the recovery software a try on the old card.

Its also worth getting into a routine of Putting card in camera and format it in camera then go on shoot, come home and remove card from camera and transfer the pictures over to pc - copy pictures to your "backup drive" you should have one! and then put card back in cam and once you have made sure you have your files and a copy of them, format the car in camera ready for next shoot! Its a faf at first but it has served me very well for a good while now and not one card issue!

We do this same process with all the video cams too and again no issues - over 120 sandisk cards ranging from 8gig to 128gig both SD card and CF cards

Good places to buy are

My Memory
Amazon UK - but only supplied and del by Amazon Never a third party!
Costco have great deals now and then

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the Ariel Atom logo ;) I owned one for 5 years and drove it every day whatever the weather :)

Fair weather driver myself, not a polisher, although I like it clean!
(y)

Back