Corrupt .CR2 Files - How to Repair?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Lightroom crashed on me while uploading from a memory card and has managed to corrupt all the files on the memory card.

I have them on my PC and some of the metadata is still present but I cannot view them in either Lightroom or CPP.

Any ideas on software which will Repair (not recover) the files, at least so I can open them and see if there is any damage.

Any whizz kids our there who have had experience of this kind of thing before?

Could the card have gone faulty and this has then caused LR to crash! What do you get? Does the card still work in the camera?

Unfortunately I have now formatted the card, which now works fine.

I have the files on my hard drive, but can't view them!

Might be worth downloading the card retrieval software and letting it have a poke around. Formatting a card does not delete the data it just writes a new catalogue. The data is still likely there and the software might be able to find the images again.

If Darren's idea doesn't work, you could try to recover the JPGs that are embedded in the raw files. I think there are several programs that will do this but can't bring one to mind. I use my own and that requires Adobe Bridge so that won't help.

I have around 8 4GB cards and im not sure which one it was on...I have started doing this but it is taking days per card!

I am guessing this is the only option? Trying to fix the corrupt file isn't possible?

You are probably less likely to get your images back!

"Several days per card" ! That is seriously slow.....

I dont understand how you get the jpeg out? :thinking:

Matt,

A RAW file is just a file containing all manner of information like a container or a folder. Inside this "container" you have the data from the sensor, all the settings on the camera (so that it can work out what to do with the data), a small jpeg preview and other bits and pieces. So if the file is readable then a piece of software is able to extract the preview jpeg part of the file.

I think the command is something like....

exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw IMG_0001.cr2 > IMG_0001.jpg

Forget trying to use drag and drop for the moment, go to dos/terminal and try just one document and see if you can get something.
IE:
Fullsize

If not available try for the Preview Image
exiftool -b -PreviewImage IMG_0001.cr2 > IMG_0001.jpg

Forget trying to use drag and drop for the moment, go to dos/terminal and try just one document and see if you can get something.
IE:
Fullsize

Thanks for your help Paul, Ive found File Juicer which does the same thing but is much more user friendly. Im not great with coding and non-user friendly PC use.

It turns out that these files are not the files I expected them to be so back to the memory cards. I'll got back to the long winded days on end approach and if it days week of constant running of programs so be it.

Note to everyone....This was for a Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration and one of my cards failed on me. Reformat your memory cards before doing any kind of shoot, use 2 cameras if possible and swap you cards regularly luckily things aren't as bad as they could have been, I used 2 cameras and swapped memory cards regularly so no big chunks are missing. Unfortunately some of the group shots are missing and ive got an upset client. Don't let it be you!! (PS please don't criticise me, im feeling ****** enough about it as it is.)

I wouldn't like to have a full 16GB or 32BG memory card corrupt on me!!!

Silly question but have you checked it the right prefix on the files? it hasn't just changed the name??

Hello to all
I basically logged in only to tell you that solution from canon_togger has worked. I tried at least 10 other recovery programs which found nothing or some gibberish which was not usable.
Maybe this will sound like a commercial post but it isn't since the required program is completely free !!!

P.S. But since it saved me a loooooot of frustration of loosing my valuable photographs from last vacation, I did left small donation, mostly because I strongly support this kind of mindset "pay as much as you can afford"

IE:
Fullsize

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL USING EXIFTOOLS!

It is an extremely powerful program but the slightest mistake can really mess up your files and can render even RAW files completely unrecoverable!

If using it ALWAYS backup the files you are going to change first (if possible).

Back