Corrupted SD Card

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance. I got married yesterday (a quiet affair) and was given an SD card by the sole photographer containing all the photos. Unfortunately it comes up as "Do you want to format this card" on both my PC and the camera that took the photos. I am assuming that the card is corrupted. I have tried to get windows to look at it with CHKDSK and it says that it is "raw" but cannot fix it. Has anyone had this problem and knows how I can fix it? I have been on the web and there are some people who say that I can reformat the card using the quick format method and then use data recovery tools to get the photos back but this seems a last gasp approach. Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards Michael

I used to have a customer who formatted her card after every hoilday, then she'd come to me to recover the pics, I'd get most back except over-written images..
Try another computer, maybe a different version of windows? I had a card reader work fine on win xp but have all sorts of error messages with win 10.
You say the camera says the same thing, is this the actual camera that took the pics or your camera?

Hi and welcome to TP

Just some thoughts in regard to more context about your dilemma.

Was the photographer a paid one and if so has s/he got their backup copy of the images taken? Though if by saying that you also get the "format message" when (the photographer) checking the card 'in camera ' infers that no such backup SD exists!

Whilst taking the pictures has the photographer confirmed that s/he noted they had been recorded (by checking on the camera rear screen?

NB if the photographer removed the SD card, once the last shot was taken, before the camera had completed "writing to the card" that will have caused a corruption:(

I used to have a customer who formatted her card after every hoilday, then she'd come to me to recover the pics, I'd get most back except over-written images..
Try another computer, maybe a different version of windows? I had a card reader work fine on win xp but have all sorts of error messages with win 10.
You say the camera says the same thing, is this the actual camera that took the pics or your camera?
Hi Swanseamale and thanks for your help. I have got back the original camera that took the photos and it just wants to format the SD card. I have also tried the card on two other camera both with the same result. I am glad that you were able to recover the photos after formatting, what software recovery did you use. Also if I was to format the SD card in order for it to be readable by the PC (so I can use the recovery software) should I format it using the camera or PC? I have also read that I should only use quick format and wondered if the camera or PC give an option for quick or full when you press the yes button? Many thank Michael

Hi and welcome to TP

Just some thoughts in regard to more context about your dilemma.

Was the photographer a paid one and if so has s/he got their backup copy of the images taken? Though if by saying that you also get the "format message" when (the photographer) checking the card 'in camera ' infers that no such backup SD exists!

Whilst taking the pictures has the photographer confirmed that s/he noted they had been recorded (by checking on the camera rear screen?

NB if the photographer removed the SD card, once the last shot was taken, before the camera had completed "writing to the card" that will have caused a corruption:(
Hi Box Brownie, , the photographer was one of the witnesses and a friend so no backup card exists. We did look at the photos as he was taking them and I susspect that you are right that he took out the card before the final photo was written, also the battery went flat when we reinserted the sd card which I gather is also a cause of SD failure. So basically I am responsible and there is only one card Ahhhhh.
Michael

Whatever you do DON'T FORMAT IT!

If nothing else works try Recuva (https://recuva.en.softonic.com/down...nYT_SiIk_QLApr8chbX0AliC0C91onL4aAl-uEALw_wcB).
I have used it satisfactorily and got decent results
Hi Troutfisher, I have used Recuva before to get photos that I wiped from another camera and it worked perfectly. I have already tried it on the SD card but because the PC is not recognising the card then Recurva is not able to perform its magic. It seems to be the same with other recovery programs as they require the card to be readable by the PC in order to operate.
Thanks for the assistance. Regards Michael

Purely FWIW

In the past, some many years back, I used ZAR to recover some images from an unreadable/unrecognised CF card

Though discontinued by the developer it is still available to download and try it and it is AFAIK still free of charge. EDIT looks like it is no longer available:(

However, they have a much newer paid for (but testable to prove it can recover images) program once you know it can recover them.......I have not tried this new program.

EDIT this is the newest program

Last edited:
Purely FWIW

In the past, some many years back, I used ZAR to recover some images from an unreadable/unrecognised CF card

Though discontinued by the developer it is still available to download and try it and it is AFAIK still free of charge. EDIT looks like it is no longer available:(

However, they have a much newer paid for (but testable to prove it can recover images) program once you know it can recover them.......I have not tried this new program.

EDIT this is the newest program
Many thanks. M

Might it be worth trying to read it on a Linux machine?
Hi Paul, Thanks for all the help. I used a programme recommended by Box Brownie called Klennet Carver which worked perfectly when nothing else would even read the card.
Regards Michael

Hi Box Brownie, Thanks for all the help. I used your link to Klennet Carver and it worked perfectly when nothing else would even read the card. Great call. My wife says that you have given us the best wedding present.
Regards Michael
I am pleased to hear it worked for you, especially as the images were your wedding pictures.

I wish you both well for your futures together:)

Great to hear you managed to rescue the files!

I'd also recommend trying on a completely different system, so Linux or Mac in this case.

Back