Cost of living effect on birds

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I have always fed birds in my garden over winter. Over the weekend l went to buy the usual sun flower hearts and what was £2.99 last year are now £4.49, couldn't bring myself to pay that and another customer at my side said he was the same. OK l can buy 20kg online at £29.99 but l'm giving it a miss this year.

It could be worse - I've spent loads on feeders/seeds/fat balls/peanuts etc for the birds in my garden. The fussy little buggers aren't at all interested...

Ukraine is the world’s largest producer of sunflower seeds, followed by Russia; together they make up about half of global production.

Ongoing events there probably have some part to play in this.

Last edited:
It could be worse - I've spent loads on feeders/seeds/fat balls/peanuts etc for the birds in my garden. The fussy little buggers aren't at all interested...
Ungrateful gits! How long have you had your feeding station in place, and is there a lot of others in your area feeding birds?
It took mine almost a year to "find it" I was about to give up and take it down TBH.

I don't get a much of a variety in the way of birds, Sparrows, Starlings Robins, the blue tits will turn up later,
when they start nesting, gold finches drop by occasionally, but they only want to use the pond for a bath.
Pigeons both wood and feral, scavenging under the feeders for spilled grain, and magpies looking for any fish pellets I drop when feeding the fish.

We've got several different feeders on ours - peanut, sunflower hearts, seed mix and fat balls - which helps attract a mix of birds.
If it ever runs out, then it can take several days for them to return to find it's got food again.
And while there's often 2 or 3 on the feeder when I just look out at it, you can guarantee if I have my camera the most I will see is a lone bird just leaving! :LOL:

I have always fed birds in my garden over winter. Over the weekend l went to buy the usual sun flower hearts and what was £2.99 last year are now £4.49, couldn't bring myself to pay that and another customer at my side said he was the same. OK l can buy 20kg online at £29.99 but l'm giving it a miss this year.

Ungrateful gits! How long have you had your feeding station in place, and is there a lot of others in your area feeding birds?
It took mine almost a year to "find it" I was about to give up and take it down TBH.

I don't get a much of a variety in the way of birds, Sparrows, Starlings Robins, the blue tits will turn up later,
when they start nesting, gold finches drop by occasionally, but they only want to use the pond for a bath.
Pigeons both wood and feral, scavenging under the feeders for spilled grain, and magpies looking for any fish pellets I drop when feeding the fish.
It has probably been out for a few years, although I've moved them a few times to find a balance between cover for the birds, and being in a position where we can actually see them. I know that next door often has feeders up, and they tend to have more birds than us. We mainly get pigeons too, but the odd Bluetit/Sparrow/Robin too. And only once, a Goldfinch.

I've moved them a few times to find a balance between cover for the birds,
That may ( or may not) be part of the problem.
Sure, they appreciate a bit of cover, my feeding station is just a short hop to the 6' laurel hedge
But others here have the feeders in the front garden, with no cover, they also get visited.

Bird seed is definitely getting more expensive, but luckily we found some 12kg bags of mixed seed and sunflower hearts on offer at a garden centre a couple of months ago. That said, will soon need to get some more…

We have feeders in both front and rear gardens and typically get a number of different visitors including:
House Sparrow, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Wren, Blackbird, Magpie, Jackdaw, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Starling. We had a pair of Blackcap and a pair of Reed Bunting regularly last winter, but this year have only seen one female Blackcap that seems to be hanging around with the Sparrows.

Not bad I guess, considering we’re in the middle of a housing estate.

It might not necessarily be a bad thing. I think it's well documented that by feeding the birds, certain species do very well, e.g. Blue Tit, Great Tit, and these species expand into woodland areas searching for territory and food and they outcompete the shyer birds such as the flycatchers for nesting space.

I do feed the birds during winter but I have considered knocking it on the head simply because certain species are dwindling. Many reasons for that such as what is going on in their wintering grounds and on migration, but I was looking at a map of breeding Spotted Flycatchers in County Durham from 1990. They were breeding all over County Durham then. These days they're confined to West Durham in the areas surrounding the North Pennines.

As I say, we're probably giving an upper hand to those songbirds that are more bold and eventually they have to spread into other areas by virtue of competition for food and nesting sites.

I've given up feeding the birds as they can eat a whole bag of mealworms in less than a day.
Plus the keep pooping everywhere.

It has probably been out for a few years, although I've moved them a few times to find a balance between cover for the birds, and being in a position where we can actually see them. I know that next door often has feeders up, and they tend to have more birds than us. We mainly get pigeons too, but the odd Bluetit/Sparrow/Robin too. And only once, a Goldfinch.

It may be impacted by the habitat surrounding your feeders. I get Bullfinch, GSW, Song Thrush as well as the usual birds in the back garden. In the front garden, Mistle Thrush come in this time of year. I live in the country and it is surrounded by woodland and fields and in the back garden I've kept a wild patch of bramblings and the like which the Bullfinches in particular like to get lost in given they're particularly shy birds. I've seen Goldcrest come onto a particular feeder when there's been a prolonged cold snap.

On the other hand, there is a flock of Brambling in a mini-orchard about four doors down. I've tried to tempt them into my garden with sunflower hearts, premium finch mix and meal worms; but they're not having it. As far as I'm aware, it's not illegal to steal someone else's Brambling.

I reckon that a wild patch in your garden would work wonders given it will breed all sorts of animal life that depend on one another.

I stopped feeding as it was a masive poop fest , Poop everywhere and on everything :(

Have you seen the price of mealworms. The starlings used to empty the feeder in less than a day.
I used to get 30 or 40 pigeons scavenging under the feeders. So I built a bird table with a roof on, then put metal netting over the sides and reduced the size till the pigeons could not reach the food, but the Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great and Blue tits and the braver Starlings could still get in. We used to get goldfinches, but not any more. Pigeon wise we get 1 or 2 a day now.

I used to spend €30 a month on sunflower hearts shipped to France from Lancashire. That was cheaper than buying sunflower seeds in their shells from local stores. I can't get them now and the sparrows leave a right mess with the black shells so I just feed peanuts and fat balls. We don't get the mess and because the sparrows aren't as keen on the new diet it cost a third of what we used to pay. And we still get the finches and tits coming to the table along with nuthatches and gs woodpeckers.

This winter has been milder than usual so far so the hard weather visitors including hawfinches, bramblings and siskins haven't made an appearance. No gold or green finches either this winter.

I've got a few feeders but with wild bird seed £8 a bag and fatballs £6 a tub I'm cutting back. They get a fair bit of bread as I get a lot of waste.

Sunflower hearts 12.5 kilo 19£ at BM stores cheapest I've seen

Last edited:
I used to spend €30 a month on sunflower hearts shipped to France from Lancashire. That was cheaper than buying sunflower seeds in their shells from local stores. I can't get them now and the sparrows leave a right mess with the black shells so I just feed peanuts and fat balls. We don't get the mess and because the sparrows aren't as keen on the new diet it cost a third of what we used to pay. And we still get the finches and tits coming to the table along with nuthatches and gs woodpeckers.

This winter has been milder than usual so far so the hard weather visitors including hawfinches, bramblings and siskins haven't made an appearance. No gold or green finches either this winter.

Some nice birds there to be coming in the garden!

We had a ringed neck parakeet for a few weeks and over the years there have been all sorts of unusual species pass through. A wryneck was feeding under the apple trees last year. We regularly get hopooes including youngsters and golden orioles have nested in the trees at the bottom of the garden. Two years ago three were feeding on rowan berries in the back garden. Bee eaters sometimes pass by. There is a summer colony nearby.

I get seed in bulk (25kg+ at a time) from Garden Wildlife Direct (IIRC!). Not cheap but less than a couple of cups of coffee per week. Tried mixed seed, peanuts, sunflower seeds etc. and the only thing that seems popular is the sunflower kernels and the Wilko suet blocks with berries. What the goldies drop, the wood pigeons tidy up. Squirrel proof feeders stop most of their thievery!

Squirrel proof feeders stop most of their thievery!
I put plastic drinks bottles on the arms of the hanging feeders, with the bottoms cut off, and threaded through.
That seems to stop the little sods.
However they do raid the ground feeder, and dug up and killed a couple of Bonsai trees last year, before the traps went out.

Reactions: Nod
There's a great idea! I reckon milk cartons (4pt) will do the same job - we don't have any big drinks bottles (I think - I'll have to check with Mrs Nod!)

There's a great idea! I reckon milk cartons (4pt) will do the same job - we don't have any big drinks bottles (I think - I'll have to check with Mrs Nod!)
Milk cartons maybe a little too square but its worth a shot.

The 4 pinters are fairly round-shouldered so worth a try!

The 4 pinters are fairly round-shouldered so worth a try!
Fairy nuff, I only buy 2 pinters so hadn't really thought about it TBH

Reactions: Nod
A few shots with a bridge camera of the birds that visit our garden. And one stray crane that rested on the telegraph post outside the garden.

Coal Tit 2.jpg

Gold Finch 1.jpg

Haw Finch 1.jpg

Nuthatch 1.jpg

Crane on Pole.jpg

A few shots with a bridge camera of the birds that visit our garden. And one stray crane that rested on the telegraph post outside the garden.

View attachment 413681

View attachment 413682

View attachment 413683

View attachment 413684

View attachment 413685

Hawfinch in your garden = one jealous me.

Before the Ukraine war, I was getting 12.5kg of sunflower hearts for £12-99. They shot up to £22.99 more or less overnight. I have to make a food run this week, I need nyger, sunflower hearts and peanuts, could be an expensive afternoon out.

Hawfinch in your garden = one jealous me.

Before the Ukraine war, I was getting 12.5kg of sunflower hearts for £12-99. They shot up to £22.99 more or less overnight. I have to make a food run this week, I need nyger, sunflower hearts and peanuts, could be an expensive afternoon out.
Before Brexit we could get 25kg of dehulled sunflower seeds delivered to the door from Lancashire for twenty five quid. Now the French don't allow cereals to be imported. A 20kg sack of poor quality locally grown whole seeds costs over thirty quid. The problem that we had with these seeds is that the sparrows would carry the seeds back to our balcony railings for processing. We ended up with a thick black covering of seeds combined with their guano. Cutting the sunflowers and just feeding peanuts and fat balls has solved the sparrow prpblem.

We only get hawfinches, siskins and bramblings when it is a hard winter. The last two winters have been milder than normal so it has been a no show. We get golden orioles and hoopoes nesting in the garden every summer and there are bee eaters nesting locally. There are four species of woodpecker, three of which are regulars to the bird table. The black woodpecker just passes by. There are ravens, barn owls, tawneys and little owls popping in from time to time. The most unusual visitor was a wryneck. And, we now have a resident thrush. I had only seen two in the first ten years, both miles from home.

It is heaven :)

Before Brexit we could get 25kg of dehulled sunflower seeds delivered to the door from Lancashire for twenty five quid. Now the French don't allow cereals to be imported. A 20kg sack of poor quality locally grown whole seeds costs over thirty quid. The problem that we had with these seeds is that the sparrows would carry the seeds back to our balcony railings for processing. We ended up with a thick black covering of seeds combined with their guano. Cutting the sunflowers and just feeding peanuts and fat balls has solved the sparrow prpblem.

We only get hawfinches, siskins and bramblings when it is a hard winter. The last two winters have been milder than normal so it has been a no show. We get golden orioles and hoopoes nesting in the garden every summer and there are bee eaters nesting locally. There are four species of woodpecker, three of which are regulars to the bird table. The black woodpecker just passes by. There are ravens, barn owls, tawneys and little owls popping in from time to time. The most unusual visitor was a wryneck. And, we now have a resident thrush. I had only seen two in the first ten years, both miles from home.

It is heaven :)

Stop, I'm getting jealouser.

;)

Stop, I'm getting jealouser.

;)
Ha-ha. You ought to go to a place called Puy du Fou. They have a bird exhibition every day that blows your mind. Condors flying across the arena so low you can feel them passing. At the end there are about 70 birds flying around you.

White Raptor.jpg

Eagle.jpg

Falconer luring bird of prey.jpgPuy du Fou Lots of Birds.jpg

I went there, probably about 30 years ago!

Back