Costs of my Photography Hobby !

Being a total nerd I have a spreadsheet with details of all the camera gear I have bought and sold since 2008, when I started working professionally. The purchase totals are frightening but as I sold on pretty much all of my pro gear when I got a proper job the actual balance isn't too bad and SWMBO is okay with it ;)

What I spend on my cycling is another matter and a constant area of friction though :eek:

There are other hobbies and pastimes that are much more expensive than photography. Some people spend a fortune in the pub, then pee out the money later that evening. As long as your immediate family do not feel short changed and are happy with it, then others can't criticise.

Being a total nerd I have a spreadsheet with details of all the camera gear I have bought and sold since 2008, when I started working professionally. The purchase totals are frightening but as I sold on pretty much all of my pro gear when I got a proper job the actual balance isn't too bad and SWMBO is okay with it ;)

What I spend on my cycling is another matter and a constant area of friction though :eek:
Perhaps a more expensive saddle and different shorts.......:exit:

I have never worried about buying something if I think that it will be useful, however I quite like working with what I have got and getting round the limitations.
I've added it up though and since getting my first DSLR 15 years ago I have spent under £1200. That was boosted as I got a used Sigma 10-20mm for xmas. The first wide angle lens I have owned after approx 60 years of taken photos. It seems to be a tricky lens to get the most out of and I am looking forward to lots of rubbish shots with perhaps a reasonable one now and again.

The most expensive for me was sailing , it’s like standing on the dock shovelling your money into the sea . …22 foot yacht one outboard got stolen £1500 replacement year later bracket broke in a big sea down into Davey jones locker . Put on anti fouling once a year then wash it off at years end .. craning in and out .. etc etc

Last edited:
I do photography, fishing, and play the guitar...

Plus I ride a motorcycle and a pushbike.

But them with all those hobbies, once you've bought the hardware the rest is pretty cheap, give or take a tank of petrol, a pint of maggots, and a memory card or two.

Perhaps a more expensive saddle and different shorts.......:exit:
Funnily enough Father Christmas had both of those (and a few other goodies) in his sack for me :D

I could buy two new Z9 & 180-600Z lenses at full retail price for far less than the cost of one of my bikes :eek:

Last edited:

My bikes certainly distract from my photography spend. To be fair, I don't really spend that much on camera kit, I try to keep to one "big" purchase a year when I get a bonus from work.

That's such a brilliant idea. I think I need to try this to hold myself accountable - I shudder to think what I spent on photography gear in 2023 :ROFLMAO:

I've spent a fair bit since starting but I can honestly say there's not a single purchase that isn't used frequently.

I've always had a bit of a guilt complex about spending money on myself and last year was the year I broke it judging by the 2 delightful lenses that came into my possession. I still refuse to spend flippantly but also, if I have a genuine use for something, I'll treat myself if I have the spare cash.

I always find it strange when someone who has no direct financial relationship with you has an opinion on how to spend your hard earned cash. I genuinely couldn't care less what others enjoy and spend their money on and for me, someone who has that trait is demonstrating an incredibly peculiar tendency of control.

Amateur Radio, can be mega expensive. The latest shortwave digital transceivers are now north of £8K. 20 years ago I paid £1500, for an HF Transceiver, but when you work out that it has only cost me £75 a year.

But the radios aren't the only things that are expensive, antenna's, towers, coax, you can easily spend 15 - 20k setting up your station.

Computers are another one, I paid £2,900 last year for a top notch gaming pc, this biggest cost was the graphics card and the SSD's, but I hope to get a few years out of it. (And it super fast for photo editing.)

Over the festive holiday I was criticised by a family member over the amount I spend on my 'Hobby' photography !!!!!
Therefore I did a quick summation of spending over the last 5 years - I mostly buy used equipment !
Surprised I went back to said family member and pointed out that my spend amounted to less than a cup of coffee at Costa (other outlets are available) each day !
Of course I added that his 'Golf' hobby costs him far more - I await a begrudging apology - should I live that long :)

You could point out to your family member that today's hobby costs of photography is cheaper than pre-digital days.

Back in the 20th Century, photography costs more, not because of buying equipment and kit, but because you have to factor in the costs of buying new rolls and rolls and rolls of film, plus the cost of developing and printing.

Nowadays, you only need to buy a memory card just once, and use it as much as you can, over and over.

And remind him that his golf hobby have to factor in the cost of membership or hire of golf course (assuming if he does pay for such).

Hope that helps you to win your debate against your family member. :)

Many of you seem to have a good idea of how much you have spent on photography. Consider now identifying the images of which you are very proud and would show anyone. For many of us we might not get above about ten. So then divide the total spent by the number of best images and you will then know how much each cost but be careful who you tell.

Dave

Back in the early noughties I used to buy camera equipment from the German ebay site and sell it on ebay.com for three or four times what I paid for it. Within a short period of time I had accumulated a fair amount of equipment including a Contax G2 outfit, RTSIII outfit, Mamiya RB67 and a Linhoff 6x7 field camera all paid for by my ebay dealings. I kept accounts and washed the extra profit out using city breaks and short holidays during which I would take a few snaps and send them off to an image library. It was brilliant for about three years. I sent cash in Euros to the German sellers, received the cameras and often extras like flash guns, filters and cases then photographed them, described them accurately and a week or so later they would be posted to the States, Sth Korea, Japan or Australia.

Eventually others discovered the same route and profit margins were eroded at both ends. But what a ride!

Can you not get a cream for it?

Indeed! And as super nice as it is now - or has been since 2015 should I say! - I found this photo the other day from Jan 2009.

And, I do miss those days where it wasn't as nice & I would just drive it anywhere, in any weather, however I wanted & not really care too much......

It's literally cleaned or dusted off every time it get's locked away now!

View attachment 410666

My first car was a 1970 Mk1 in the same colour.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back