Cotswold Airshow - Reds

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
OK, it was called the Best of British this year, but it's still CotsAir!! :)

This was my first time shooting an air display and I have to say that I really, really enjoyed it!!

I'll use that as an excuse for posting 3 sets of six!! :D

First Ground Shots:

CotAirReds008.jpg

CotAirReds004.jpg

CotAirReds006.jpg

CotAirReds007.jpg

CotAirReds009.jpg

CotAirReds001.jpg

C&C seriously welcomed because this is way outside my experience.

Synchro Passes:

CotAirReds025.jpg

CotAirReds032.jpg

CotAirReds020.jpg

CotAirReds027.jpg

CotAirReds030.jpg

CotAirReds035.jpg

Thanks for looking and apologies for the number of shots! :D

This am addictive!

16 is perfect....

seems to be 7 quite a lot this year instead of 9.

16 is perfect....

seems to be 7 quite a lot this year instead of 9.

Yes they fly as 7 this year due to the two pilots who were killed

There were 7 displaying on site and another synchro pair that were displaying elsewhere.

Cheers for the comment guys- appreciated!

They are flying with 7 because someone dropped out earlier this year, that didn't leave enough time to work up her replacement.
It's not directly related to either death last year.

Anyway, picture, not bad for a first effort. Shame the sky seems to have gone a bit milky, but the same happened at Dunsfold later in the day last weekend.

It may be my monitor, but some, like number 13 are very very light.

The last one's good, I have never been able to get that shot, in spite of years of trying!

Cheers Bernie, valuable crit from you!

They were shot through a 120-300 with an x1.4 so there will be a bit of contrast loss (and I didn't compensate too much/enough in PP). I don't think that they're hugely light though.

They only have a licence for 7 performing at once, hence the others are acting as a synchro pair (couple of recalls for some old boys).

Demi

That explains it, but as I said, it may be my monitor. Irespective of that, they are much better than my first efforts with planes, actually, they are better than some I take now! But we can all have a bad day.

The Red arrows are Military, they don't have licenses. They fly with 7 because of the drop out and apparently for this year only. Back to 9 next year. The other 2 join in for flypasts only, they are not the synchro pair. The synchros, are part of the 7.

Last edited:
They're licensed to perform/signed off for aerobatics by the CoAS each season.

There were 9 performing last week, 7 at Kemble and the other two at another location simultaneously, although they may not have been doing full synchro, apart from their trip over to Dunsfold(?).

Thanks for the compliment though. It really is appreciated. :)

Demi

No, signed off isn't licensed. Nor do, or did the 'other 2' go off doing displays elsewhere. I think you've been wound up. Red 10 landed at Dusnfold, so he could do his commentary there, then got a Squirrel over to Kemble. Have a look at the Arrows show dates, there were no other sneaky 2 aircraft shows, because they don't do them!

This link, the third para tells you exactly that. Note that Red 8, no longer has a display authorisation, so couldn't display elsewhere.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=A5F14AB0-5056-A318-A8DF51286FC5024E

Last edited:
I don't mean to be rude Bernie, but:

a) The Arrows frequently do private displays or fly overs.
b) The were 10 operational Hawks working out of Kemble on Sunday.
c) The team most certainly do require a licence to perform from CoAS.
d) I'm currently sitting with people that know a fair amount about the team and that doesn't come from websites.

however...

I don't mean to be rude Bernie, but:

a) The Arrows frequently do private displays or fly overs.
b) The were 10 operational Hawks working out of Kemble on Sunday.
c) The team most certainly do require a licence to perform from CoAS.
d) I'm currently sitting with people that know a fair amount about the team and that doesn't come from websites.

however...

All I can confirm is at Norwich for the departure for Lowestoft... 9 reds arrived in traditional red attire, and sat on the tarmac... (prob have some pics on TP of them) and another hawk with a union jack attire.... which was in my opinion "arsing about a bit" before it landed... (Though would have happily sat in the back if I could fit!!)

7 reds took off, and the other 2 remained on the tarmac as did the UJ one, though there was a little helicopter that shot off before the reds... I assume Red 10 / commentator...

However they did do a flypast over RAF Marham on the way and read somewhere that for flypasts you generally get the full 9...

I am given to understand that private displays are generally restricted to RAF events, though if en route and there is a village fete or county show on (not bob and margaret's wedding) if you request well in advance you may get a fly by if not too much of a deviation...

Know nothing about licences CoAS etc.... :shrug:

Great set, but No 5 is the clear winner for me.

Ian

Sorry to take it a bit off post... however...

I have just come up with the best idea ever....

That back seat is empty. 100 raffle tickets at £10 a pop for a seat in the back... (subject to passing the medical etc) All proceeds to the RAF benevolent fund... I'd buy a few.

Doesn't need to be the full on syncho pair, just a 10 min hop and a few rolls and loops... :shrug::shrug::shrug:

100 @ £10 each? last time they did a charity auction the winning bid was £1,500,000.

I really like Number 10 for some reason, just looks very pure to me even if technically it's not correct and overexposed. Good to see some shots of the blues as well :)

Demi

Yes, there were 10 at Kemble, which isn't all of their aircraft, they actually have 12 or so. However the team consists of 7 aircraft for displays this year.
The Team as a whole do flypasts, but not as singletons. For flypasts, they sometimes use 9, but for displays they display as one group, 7 aircraft. There are NO single or 2 aircraft displays.
There are 2 reasons for that, firstly, they only have 7 pilots authorized to fly displays. Secondly, they rehearse to display as 7, not 2, not 9 (This year).
As for you're "experts", they aren't, perhaps they'd like to produce some evidence of these fantasy claims? As to trusting their options? More fool you, personally, I'd prefer their team leader. I find that he's usually a lot more reliable than other sources.
By the way, all of their displays are on their web site, and guess what, no 2 aircraft displays anywhere at the weekend, not a surprise really, as they don't do them!

As I said, however...

I not getting into a willy waving contest on here.

Great set, but No 5 is the clear winner for me.

Ian

I suspect that you're slightly biased! :)

Sorry to take it a bit off post... however...

I have just come up with the best idea ever....

That back seat is empty. 100 raffle tickets at £10 a pop for a seat in the back... (subject to passing the medical etc) All proceeds to the RAF benevolent fund... I'd buy a few.

Doesn't need to be the full on syncho pair, just a 10 min hop and a few rolls and loops... :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Howmuch will it cost to clear up the vomit afterwards (assuimg that they miss the bag)? :D

100 @ £10 each? last time they did a charity auction the winning bid was £1,500,000.

I really like Number 10 for some reason, just looks very pure to me even if technically it's not correct and overexposed. Good to see some shots of the blues as well :)

Thanks! :)

The overexposure on capture was deliberate (trying out ETTR), but I rather liked these the way they were without too much PP!

Some really cracking shots there!

Thanks Mike.

Love the set. Some nice images. 9 jets turn up. 7 display. 2 are spare in case something is unserviceable on 1 of the others. There were never 8 this year or 9 as a sign of respect for the lost 2 last season. The female pilot quit after the second fatalaty of I remember right as it got to her mentally (can't blame her really) and there was a replacement.
I cant remember the reason for the union flag jet but it's nothing to do with the reds.

It's a solo display from RAF Valley (although there are two airframes painted up in the colours):

CotAirHawk001.jpg

CotAirHawk002.jpg

CotAirHawk004.jpg

CotAirHawk006.jpg

CotAirHawk007.jpg

Exif & IPTC intact. Caption reads:

"Hawk T1 solo display from 208(R) Sqn, RAF Valley at the Cotswold Air Show/Best of Britain Show. The Hawk, flown by Fgt Lt Phil Bird has been painted to celebrate HM The Queen's Diamond Jubilee for the 2012 season. Cirencester, UNITED KINGDOM. August 26 2012.
Photo Credit: Mark Chappell
© Mark Chappell 2012. All Rights Reserved. See instructions."

Back