Cotswold Bank Holidays

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.

I went for a walk around the Cotswolds on Monday with the Pentax 645N, a 75mm lens, a 55mm lens and a roll of Velvia 50. I like this film a lot!

1. A house just outside Barton:
20110504110703_60620005.jpg

2. Forest track. Not sure about this one, to be honest, I think it's a bit too cluttered. Anyone any particular comments on it?
20110504110704_60620006.jpg

3. To infinity and beyond!
20110504110705_60620008.jpg

4. Naunton Dovecote
20110504110706_60620012.jpg

5. 12th century church door in Guiting Power
20110504111856_60620016.jpg

I love my medium format camera! Still want to get more out of it though.

It is a long time since I have shot Velvia, use to use it alot but now I prefer Kodak E6 films.

1 Nice detail captured in the house and gardens, the only thing that throws me is the way the wall is slightly out of focus. Think something like could be improved by using hyperfocal distance then the whole image back to front would be in focus.

2 Does not work for me, the eye has no where to rest nore is the eye led into the image.

3 Now opposite to what I said on the 1st one, here the out of focus wall works well to give it a wierd kind of 3d effect.

4 Nice but does little for me.

5 Good study of the door way but the coloums on the right look slightly over exposed. Maybe a ND grad might have stopped it.

Over all I like the ideas some work some did not, but what ISO did you rate the Velvia at?

The only reason I ask is I used to rate it at 64iso and got much more of a saturated look and deeper colours (something I personnally like) and while you images are well exposed and sharp they, to me, seem a little bright and washed out.

But just my opinion :)

Have a look at Mr-T's thread "Back To the Future" where he has shot Velvia as an example of what I mean in the last paragraph. Granted they were shot at a different time of day. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting comment on 3 - I shot two versions of this with different apertures to put the wall in and out of focus. I like the 3D effect personally, but understand how it can be irritating on 1. I think I should perhaps have used a wider aperture on 1 to properly throw it out of focus instead of the slight effect of the aperture used (or just gone for hyperfocal and got everything sharp)

You are right that they are slightly bright - I think it's possibly from the scanning though - there's definitely good detail in the highlights on the slides themselves.

I shot it with base ISO but +1/3 exposure compensation, so 64 ISO effective would be about right here!

From the shadows I'm guessing that the first 4 were taken around mid-day, rather than early morning/evening. They do look a little pale/insipid for Velvia 50, but in bright light, I found that I almost always shot with a decent lens hood, and polarising filter fitted. I understand that the linear polarisers don't work with digital cameras for some reason, and can be picked up s/h at beer budget prices. I'm assuming that dedicated lens hoods for the 645N will not be as affordable :(

It was mid to late afternoon, but not yet golden hour. I used a pol for a couple of the shots but not all of them. Offhand I can't remember which ones. You're right about the requirement for a hood though - I'll need to invest in one for the MF lenses.

Linear polarisers actually do work with a lot of digital cameras, but since it depends on the specifics of the metering system in the camera (and not just the metering system used a given manufacturer in general) people claim they don't work. As you said though, they are so cheap that we really shouldn't be giving such blanket incorrect advice!

I recognise lots of those places. Used to live in that area.

Really like #3 but did you jump over the wall and get s shot with just the field in the foreground? that would look nice, too.

And yes #2 is too busy especially with the shadows, but shows how sharp and detailed the negs were.

ped

Back