Cotswold Cameras

just a quick update ..............................nothing ......11 days since arriving here still no phone call and no email .....camera is still sitting here although TNT supposedly called even though I was here all day .but now I don't know wether to let it go to hong kong or not beings no one will speak to me and no one will email me , I feel a road trip coming on ....
paypal are looking into it and CAB lady was very nice but didn't have a clue so I would need to travel to a main office

surprised to hear some of the problems on here I'm very local to the office so more than happy to help if anyone wants to pm me ;-) I know lots of locals that have bought off them with no probs perhaps they are under new ownership?

@Cakey this may provide an additional point of contact - http://www.endole.co.uk/company/09101906/cotswold-cameras-limited

I can't see a trading link between CC Inc and CC Ltd, and the website uses the offshore CC Inc entity - but it is the same director, but with a different registered business address.

Something strange there. Their address as previous is a private residence in Cirencester, yet the registered office is a bungalow in Newark? Changed in July this year.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...0x48784c8a5eff4a75:0x91c6cad80afd3952!6m1!1e1

Have they moved, hence the phone redirects, even though the website says:
We are proud of our strong connections to the beautiful Cotswolds with our office in Cheltenham and staff in Cirencester offering courier deliveries to Ireland and an easy returns process.

Have they moved, hence the phone redirects, even though the website says:
No, the Limited company (UK registered) is separate from the Incorporated company (offshore registered) - if you use the website you're engaging the services of the offshore company.

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time and a very busy one for our business.

I'll try and add some honest responses to various issues that have been brought up on this thread.

The first is the order from Cakey. I dont want to discuss too specific details of our dealings with this customer without his permission so I would just say that upon receiving details of a problem, we arrange collection by our courier, which we did. Unfortunately the courier doesnt always collect as we instruct. We arrange for a replacement to be sent out but we cannot do this until we have received the camera back for obvious reasons.

Several emails which were sent to us were unfortunately sent to the wrong email address, this caused the communication "issue".
The next issue was that the paperwork for the courier was out of date (specifically the certificate to transport the battery).- Hands up, that was our fault and we apologise for that. However realising that this may cause worry to the customer due to the delay I personally authorised a full refund before we received the camera back. (It's still with TNT) currently.

With regards to the phone system. We are an online company, we deal with 99% of enquiries via email and we usually respond quickly. If we were to man the phones all day (and we have) it adds considerably to our operating costs and we would have to put our prices up. I can confirm that we did not receive any messages in regards to this particular case. I am not in anyway disputing that messages were not left but we did not receive them. Therefore we will take this up with our service provider, especially upon hearing commemts about issues with redirects.

Now on to reimbursements, we pay these every Monday but due to the sheer volume of orders we have on ocassion had to roll this over to the following payment run.

We have had our fair share of warranty claims , about the industry norm and although it is true that no paperwork is provided we always back our warranty. We use A J Johnstone for most of our claims so feel free to enquire with them if you are unsure as to whether we honour our warranties. We do.

I think thats all for now. I wish you all a Merry Christmas, holiday season and New Year and hope you get some great images.

I can’t understand why there’s so much bile directed against this company.

They make it absolutely clear what they do and how they do it: you have the choice to take a chance with them and saving a lot of money (£260 on the Canon 80d I’m hoping to get), or going to Amazon or a High Street vendor and spend considerably more. It’s up to you: no-one is forcing anyone.

If anyone says anything negative about Cotswold, well it must be true: if people try and praise them then they are obviously shills.

I’ve bought ‘grey' cameras from the Far East and the USA: if it says CANON or NIKON on the (sealed) box, that’s what you get. My grey Canon A1 from 1983 still works fine, as does my 30D (NYC 2006). My Canon EF100mm Macro came from Digital Rev and I had no problem claiming the cashback then on offer from Canon. It’s not as if Canon are going to make a crap model especially for one market, is it ? Even their own web page on grey imports make a pretty lame attempt at putting the buyer off, and reads as if it’s there only because some legal bod insisted.

Obviously unscrupulous sellers will try occasionally try and pass off returned or faulty cameras as new, but such dealers are quickly spotted and their reputation immediately trumpeted over the internet. Cotswold Camera and DigitalRev have been around for years: if they were selling second rate gear they would be in prison (or more likely in hospital) by now.

When the worst that can happen is that you might get the wrong mains lead (something Cotswold promise won’t happen), it makes me think that the most virulent bleaters/shrill seekers are those inwardly seething that they paid 25% over the odds for their equipment...

[Yes, this is my first post; it won’t be my last. No, I have never bought anything from CC, nor am I associated with them in any way].

Last edited:
Very strange place to post a first message, more usual to introduce oneself or even shock horror post a picture

Is this not a forum for debate over the issue of grey imports in relation to photographic equipment ?

I was merely responding to some of the points made by other posters, which I considered snide and inaccurate.

If I have broken any rules, or commented inappropriately, would the mods let me know ?

Very strange place to post a first message, more usual to introduce oneself or even shock horror post a picture
:agree:
Seems strange that a new member should seek out a thread that last saw action more than 6 months ago.

Last edited:
No rules broken ... there is however a natural suspicion of people who suddenly appear here to support or trash a company, call it past experience if you like.
Participate in the forum and let people learn more about you as a user of photographic equipment :)

:agree:
Seems strange that a new member should seek out a thread that last saw action more than 6 months ago.

Honestly not really, TP is well linked in Google and a search for any reason, (e.g. to learn something about the company), will quickly bring up the thread :)

Honestly not really, TP is well linked in Google and a search for any reason, (e.g. to learn something about the company), will quickly bring up the thread :)
Fair enough. I accept that. I still think it's a strange first post.

Yep, if you Google Cotswold Cameras, this thread is the 5th result

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 21.23.20.png

People find Talk Photography in all different ways, Googling for something else is as good as any other way so it would be nice if existing members weren't waiting behind the door with a cricket bat. :)

Out of all the sections on here and indeed other photography websites I do wonder what brought you to this particular thread?

There must surely be far more intereting topics on tp and if you disagree this is possibly not the right website for you.

Having seen Marc's reply I still don't think my first post on a new forum would be on a possibly controversial discussion hence why suspicions are aroused

Last edited:
People find Talk Photography in all different ways, Googling for something else is as good as any other way so it would be nice if existing members weren't waiting behind the door with a cricket bat. :)
But it does seem to be the nature of certain specific threads to attract more than their fair share of folk wearing "Hit Me With Your Cricket Bat" t-shirts.. :)

:bat:

It’s pretty simple really:

1. I wanted to buy a new Canon 80d

2. I searched the web for best prices and found Cotswold to be among the cheapest. I live in Gloucestershire so...

3. I did a Google search to find out more about whether Cotswold Cameras had a good or bad rep, and what other photographers thought of the 80d v. the 70d. Hence...

4. I ended up here.

At the same time I received a courteous and complete set of answers from David at CC to my barrage of questions. Since I have some experience of buying grey or parallel imports of cameras and lenses I thought I’d add my pen’north here. No grassy knoll, no complex shill posting, just searching for and sharing info.

Hope this explain things, mikeldore ?

Tijuana taxi – if how and where to get a good price on a camera isn’t an ‘interesting' post for a photography forum called TalkPhotography then I’m missing something. As for this being 'possibly not the right website' for me (thanks for being polite) – well I immediately inverted Groucho’s well known dictum that he would never join any club that would accept him as a member.

I’m not going to post on this topic again until I’ve bought my 80d, either in the USA or from Cotswold Cameras. Neither will happen till July, unfortunately.

Happy snapping !

It’s pretty simple really...
Happy snapping !
Welcome to TP, Adam.

As you'll find out if you haven't already, the topic of grey market / black market retailers is one which touches a few nerves here. In the one camp you have those who think you're a mug if you pay normal UK retail prices, and in the other camp are those who think tax evasion is illegal, and there is an uneasy co-existence. Anyone who asks for opinions regarding a little-known retailer risks attracting fire from both sides!

Additionally, there have been numerous people who have joined TP, made exactly one post extolling the virtues of some potentially dodgy retailer, and then disappeared forever. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that at least some of them were... not exactly independent and unbiased, shall we say. Having said that, the cricket-bat-wielding reception committee may have scared some of them off if they were genuine!

I'm glad to see that your skin is thick enough to have run the gauntlet. Enjoy TP.

Hadn't even seen this thread before but after reading through it it is quite apparent that there are some really unfriendly, arrogant, judgemental people on this forum.

Sadly that is true of most/all ? fora. Some folk project a personality on forums that is alien to their face to face persona. Some of course are nasty all the time. The choice is accept this and ignore the provocation or best stay away.

Last edited:
Sorry if I have offended anyone, but still think it is polite to introduce oneself before steaming in to a possibly controversial subject.

Would anyone really walk into a strange pub and straight away give their views on a hot topic, comes back to a different persona online

Yes I spoke out saying it was a strange opening line, would also do that in the real world, anyway I sincerely hope you enjoy your new camera wherever it's purchased from

Hi Everyone

As promised, I’m reporting back on my experience with Cotswold Cameras [CC] and my 80D.

David at CC was patient and polite through the many emails I sent before parting with my cash. Obviously trust is an issue, but having communicated with him (and having read his eBay feedback) I considered myself in good hands.

My order was processed on Monday 18th. I received a DHL tracking number, with which I was able to follow the movements of my camera from Hong Kong. It arrived on Thursday 21st at 9.30am.

The box contained camera, battery, charger (with UK lead), strap and a reprint of the manual. I downloaded the software from Canon’s website and registered the serial number without any hitches.

The camera is staggering, and (outside of my iPhone 6) is one of the most remarkable pieces of technology I’ve handled. Images are superb, though I have a feeling I may need to upgrade my lenses to STM, as the noise of focussing is noticeable in movies. (Actually, this is an excuse, I don’t shoot many movies !).

I have set the camera to overexpose by 1/3 stop and defined a set of User Picture Preferences to sharpen, as I think Canon JPEGS are a little soft out of the box. Since there is so much to explore, I haven’t shot in RAW (my usual mode) – to be honest there doesn’t seem much point with JPEG images this good.

I had one difficulty: connecting to wifi. Neither Canon’s manual nor the various online tutorials fully covered each of the steps required to connect to my iMac and iPhone. David sent me advice, and promised to have his tech support look into the issue on Monday, but I eventually managed to sort out what needed to be done (if anyone else has similar issues, let me know and I’ll post the steps I went through).

So to summarise: a superb camera. An excellent service from CC from beginning to end. And an unbeatable price.

Last edited:
I call for custard proof ... (for the unitiated thats a picture of the goods in question with a tin of custard ... the custard stops people just taking an image from the internet - if you don't have a tin of custard hand a recent newpaper , or a bit of paper with todays date written on it are acceptable substitutes)

Not that i'm necessaryly doubting your word, but as we don't know you from... ahem... adam and you've not posted outside this thread, proof that the goods in question exist would help us take it seriously and put any question of shil posting to bed

Why should he have to prove anything to you?

Who are you to him? A nobody. As you are to the majority on here.

I've read this whole thread and have come to the conclusion that if anyone is swayed either way by the afore-mentioned "shills" and have not got the nous to properly research offers / suppliers then it's their lookout.

Buyer beware etc.

Why should he have to prove anything to you?

Who are you to him? A nobody. As you are to the majority on here.

I've read this whole thread and have come to the conclusion that if anyone is swayed either way by the afore-mentioned "shills" and have not got the nous to properly research offers / suppliers then it's their lookout.

Buyer beware etc.

Personally i don't give a f*** if he proves it or not - but if he wants people to take his review seriously some proof that its real would help - conversely if he isnt willing to prove its real then why would anyone believe a word he says ?

The concept of custard proof originated on car forums usually in response to "I haz ferrarri " type posts - the number of people who alledgedly own ferrarris, lambos, astons etc but mysteriously can't or won't prove it is quite stunning. Of course there no compulsion on them to prove that they arent a dreamer who really drives a fifteen year old proton , but equally theres no compusion on anyone else to believe that they don't

Of course on a photography forum the other option for proving you arent a shill is to actually join in with the forum, post pics, give critique, discuss equipment etc - when you look through the suppliers section you can count multiple "I bought an XX and it was great" type posts from people who then apparently never touched their amazing purchase again if you go from their posting histories.

I dream about a 15 year old Proton etc. etc. :D

actually a 15 year old proton is a dream ... we all know they fall apart arround about year 10 ;)

IMG_0303.jpg

Well, it's sad that it's come to custard, but if it would once and for all make sceptical posters happy, I'll do it.

I'm rather offended in that having consistently told the truth and stuck to what I said I would do, bought the camera, described the process and the device (and highlighted its one failing) there are still people who seem to think I'm in the pay of a camera dealer.

Wouldn't tomorrow's Guardian have been be better ? If this isn’t enough, just tell me what you'd like me to snap and I'll upload the image. Only caveat is that I have to have my clothes on.

(PS: sorry about image quality – I just stuck it on A and pointed. It is, after all, 3.25am here).

Last edited:
Adam - thanks for the custard - now if you can just provide a picture of Rachel Riley naked holding your camera.... :LOL:

Joking aside I unreservedly apologise for doubting you (if you look at the other threads arround you'll see we do have a rather high shill quotient, so its refreshing to see someone who is both reporting honestly and has the balls to prove it)

Hi Everyone

As promised, I’m reporting back on my experience with Cotswold Cameras [CC] and my 80D.

David at CC was patient and polite through the many emails I sent before parting with my cash. Obviously trust is an issue, but having communicated with him (and having read his eBay feedback) I considered myself in good hands.

My order was processed on Monday 18th. I received a DHL tracking number, with which I was able to follow the movements of my camera from Hong Kong. It arrived on Thursday 21st at 9.30am.

The box contained camera, battery, charger (with UK lead), strap and a reprint of the manual. I downloaded the software from Canon’s website and registered the serial number without any hitches.

The camera is staggering, and (outside of my iPhone 6) is one of the most remarkable pieces of technology I’ve handled. Images are superb, though I have a feeling I may need to upgrade my lenses to STM, as the noise of focussing is noticeable in movies. (Actually, this is an excuse, I don’t shoot many movies !).

I have set the camera to overexpose by 1/3 stop and defined a set of User Picture Preferences to sharpen, as I think Canon JPEGS are a little soft out of the box. Since there is so much to explore, I haven’t shot in RAW (my usual mode) – to be honest there doesn’t seem much point with JPEG images this good.

I had one difficulty: connecting to wifi. Neither Canon’s manual nor the various online tutorials fully covered each of the steps required to connect to my iMac and iPhone. David sent me advice, and promised to have his tech support look into the issue on Monday, but I eventually managed to sort out what needed to be done (if anyone else has similar issues, let me know and I’ll post the steps I went through).

So to summarise: a superb camera. An excellent service from CC from beginning to end. And an unbeatable price.

Did you get an invoice to pay the VAT on the imported goods?

Archie747. As I imported it, there is no VAT to pay. There will be import duty, but part of the deal is that Cotswold Cameras pay this.

The system works in the same way that you will see gift shops offering ‘Tax free’ purchases in the UK. Shop owners do not have to charge VAT on an item if the non-EU resident buyer takes it out of the EU within 30 days (and fills in the relevant forms). I’m just doing it the other way round.

Last edited:
Adam - thanks for the custard - now if you can just provide a picture of Rachel Riley naked holding your camera.... :LOL:

Joking aside I unreservedly apologise for doubting you (if you look at the other threads arround you'll see we do have a rather high shill quotient, so its refreshing to see someone who is both reporting honestly and has the balls to prove it)

Thanks, but I should apologise for the photo – poor white balance, insufficient depth of field, bad angle. Future uploads will be better !

Disagree. If you went to Hong Kong and bought the camera you would be charged VAT and any import duty when you returned to the UK, if it was declared.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-imports-acquisitions-and-purchases-from-abroad
I believe it would be refunded to you at the airport.

Is your point that I have somehow defrauded the exchequer of the VAT on my purchase ? I respectfully suggest that you focus your ire against the likes of the Philip Green, Amazon, etc, who regularly avoid UK taxes in the billions.

According to my understanding of UK law, I am completely in the clear provided I pay the import duty (if asked).

I think that covers this issue. As I said at the very beginning of the thread, no-one is forcing anyone to buy from Cotswold Camera: if you are not happy doing so, I respect your decision; please respect mine.

You know that you are evading tax. I know you are evading tax. Almost every poster on here knows it.

Stop kidding yourself.

You know that you are evading tax. .
No, I believe I am buying from a much cheaper source, then paying import duty. The total cost is still less than UK street prices. I’m 58 and not in the habit of ‘kidding myself’.

I repeat: I reported on CC and was called a ‘shill'. Now I have proved my bona fides, as requested, I’m being called a tax fraud.

I came here to share my experience of buying a camera, not field repeated accusations.

So shall we stick to the point (Cotswold Cameras, in case anyone had forgotten), or shall I just re-register under a different name ?

Back