Critique Cottages - B&W re-edit

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, me again, same image, just had a go at a B&W conversion after feedback on the coloured version.

I adjusted the colours/contrast of the cottages to make each stand out from each other, added a bit of grain too as I thought it suited it...?

So.. does it work? Have I made a mess of it?

Happy to hear any thoughts/feedback.

Thank you for looking.. again ;):)

Cottages BW
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Gav, I'm predominantly a mono worker and in most cases I would always prefer the mono version of a presentation over the colour version but In this case I genuinely prefer your colour version previously posted over this one.

However if you don't mind me saying, I feel this presentation would be considerably improved if you were to bring up the brightness & increase the contrast.

Only my opinion of coarse.

Gav, I'm predominantly a mono worker and in most cases I would always prefer the mono version of a presentation over the colour version but In this case I genuinely prefer your colour version previously posted over this one.

However if you don't mind me saying, I feel this presentation would be considerably improved if you were to bring up the brightness & increase the contrast.

Only my opinion of coarse.

Hi George, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback (y)

I'll take a look at your suggestion and report back.

Thank you for the honest crit', much appreciated :)

I too would make a similar suggestion to George, though my taste in processing is obiously different.

If you don't have a monochrome-specific package or module then I would suggest using the colour luminance (chrominance) sliders in the colour adjustment module to alter the response of different colours and manage contrast. Typical adjustment might be to boost yellows and oranges, reduce blues and magentas. Just fiddle and see how things look to you.

Is snapseed your usual processing software? No, it's still under-cooked. Try lifting highlights for a start - black and white. ;)
Thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it.

I've got a lot to learn :LOL:

I only used snapseed as a quick way to reply, I normally use Affinity photo, but just started to play with Capture One.

I will go back and try again next time I'm at the PC (and do some research :LOL:)

Thank you again (y)

If you want to get into mono it may be worth downloading the free version of Nik suite including Silver Efex.

I think, for realité it needs a few satellite dishes, some cars and electric wires strung across the street. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously - the colour version is way better for me.

This might be worth a look?

I prefer the first and more subtle one myself.

I don't know what your software will do Gav. The free version of Silver Efex in Nik filters allows you to adjust each colour in the mono conversion plus highlights, mid tones and shadows etc.

This might be worth a look?
Thank you (y)

I prefer the first and more subtle one myself.

I don't know what your software will do Gav. The free version of Silver Efex in Nik filters allows you to adjust each colour in the mono conversion plus highlights, mid tones and shadows etc.
Thanks Alan, I'll take a look (y)

Back