Could anyone suggest a basic photography course -Online

Name
Nusurath Kaitheri Chalil
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I am looking for a basic photography course to start learning photography. There are millions of stuff online including youtube and watched many of them. and now I bought a Nikon D500 and want to learn systematically. I had seen few websites suggestions from Facebook but was not confident enough to subscribe to them.
Liked few videos ( youtube ) from Nigel Danson ( UK landscape photographer ) and Mads Peter Iverson ( a landscape photographer from Denmark ), they are really nice but do not teach the basics and they have mostly phot tours and are really expensive.
I listened to a few of the free lectures from this guy. https://karltayloreducation.com/free-photography-course/ -The free stuff is good, but his other courses are genre-specific ( I can't afford all those courses together) . There is another course from an Indian guy (sudhirsivaramphotography) which has a few free stuff. Again his classes are camera-specific and expensive. I want comprehensive basic stuff to include composition techniques as well. there was another website that I came across from Facebook https://learnbasicsofphotography.com/courses/free-lessons/ with few free lessons. this site has something that looks like got a bit of everything but, I could not find anything regarding post-processing in their full course, looks like a 1-year subscription and cheap - but I am not confident about the content of the course,
I have been through ADORAMA free lectures, they mostly concentrate on technical aspects no composition or post-processing.
Any suggestions? I want technical skills, composition, and postprocessing for a beginner. Many thanks for sugestions .

Technical skills, composition and post-processing are three separate areas of learning I'd suggest, better to approach each one separately.
I would suggest that for the really basic stuff on exposure guidance, youtube is fine (or a basic book). But to get the best out of the D500, which is a pretty advanced camera, you will want camera-specific training.such as that offered by the Nikon school: https://nikonschool.co.uk/online-course/7912/mastering-the-d500/11572
Nikon school offer a whole range of other courses in general photography and post-processing, but composition is best approached in a genre specific way that depends on what interests you. Many of the youtube bloggers offer good value one to one workshops, but these guys are pro so you have to pay. If you want these things free, then you're probably looking in the right places, or maybe try udemy.

Technical skills, composition and post-processing are three separate areas of learning I'd suggest, better to approach each one separately.
I would suggest that for the really basic stuff on exposure guidance, youtube is fine (or a basic book). But to get the best out of the D500, which is a pretty advanced camera, you will want camera-specific training.such as that offered by the Nikon school: https://nikonschool.co.uk/online-course/7912/mastering-the-d500/11572
Nikon school offer a whole range of other courses in general photography and post-processing, but composition is best approached in a genre specific way that depends on what interests you. Many of the youtube bloggers offer good value one to one workshops, but these guys are pro so you have to pay. If you want these things free, then you're probably looking in the right places, or maybe try udemy.
Thanks, Lindsay, I will have a look at both of these.

The "strobist" is an online training system that is quite good. Just do a Google Search for "Strobist" and Google will bring up a bunch of links to it, and it's all free..

Charley

There are not many providers that will teach you everything and you wouldn't absorb that much either. Learn the basics about exposure, focus, etc.. then spend some time learning about a niche that interests you, macro, people, landscape - and learn about themes around that niche and get good at it.

I Googled 'photography course by me' and found an evening class (8 in the class) just around the corner from me. It's run by a university lecturer and he offers the course in beginner, intermediate and advanced levels, each is ten weeks long and each level costs £100. At the end of the advanced level you put together a portfolio and it's exhibited somewhere. I'm at class tonight wk4 beginner. Might be something similar round by you? Mine is at a local art complex / library under the adult learning section of the website. Don't know if it's a council supported thing or not?

Last edited:
Watching YouTube and online courses are great, but for me I learn by doing. With most of my cameras I've got the manual and then just taken the camera out to a local park or similar and just worked my way through the manual so I fully know what the camera can do and how to do it.

Then I'd grab a notebook and work through practicing aperture one day, shutter speed another, ISO, another making notes of what different settings did etc. Practice shooting at different times of day (and night), indoor & outdoor, still subjects, moving subjects. You can teach yourself a huge amount. Once you know the technical side then get onto light, composition and then the creative side. If you have a particular interest ie portrait, landscape, sport then incorporate that into your learning too!

You don't need to spend a fortune either, I got loads of books on technique & inspiration from charity shops. Photography has been around for a long time and a lot of the basic principles haven't changed, books just allow you to consume at your own pace & make notes which I found really helpful.

Last edited:
Not checked personally, but would it be worth trying out skillshare for a month?
Edit: I took a quick look and there's stuff in there, if fact one of the first I saw was a dslr basics course and in its follow up info was this, also well worth a look.

Last edited:
Not checked personally, but would it be worth trying out skillshare for a month?
Edit: I took a quick look and there's stuff in there, if fact one of the first I saw was a dslr basics course and in its follow up info was this, also well worth a look.

I really wouldn’t bother with skillshare. I signed up to their free trial a few months ago and there really is nothing on there that you can’t get for free on YouTube.

I closed my account after a couple of days.

Cheers @ecoleman, still the link though article seemed solid enough

Back