Could it be... the NW is finally warming up? Some bugs from the garden :)

Edit My Images
No
My goodnes, we had a bit of sun. The garden is starting to burst into colour and FINALLY, 6 months into the darn year, some sign of life :). All shots taken using my standard F/10, ISO 250 and 1/250th.

2015-7465.jpg

2015-7466.jpg

2015-7467.jpg

2015-7469.jpg

FINALLY I get some decent shots of a Ruby tailed wasp. It even landed on me for a brief moment. On my chest though so a shot was impossible.

2015-7471.jpg

2015-7472.jpg

2015-7474crop.jpg

2015-7499.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful set mate.. lighting looks amazing is this still 3 layers inside the softbox?

Cool set, how are you managing to prevent light fall off at 1/250th. Are you using a massive softbox? (the catch-lights in the spider's eyes suggest so)

The underside of the leaf is a bit dominating in the blue bottle pic. I think a slightly higher angle would have worked better (I don't often say that).

Is that a scale insect you've caught alongside the ruby-tailed wasp?

Cheers for all the comments guys :) Much appreciated.

@Tintin124 , Yes Bryn, still two layers of packaging foam sheeting and the one layer of diffusion that came with the box.

@TimmyG Yes I'm using a Lastolight Ezybox Speed-lite 20x20cm Softbox. Big and cumbersome but puts out such lovely light for backgrounds. Not sure if it is an insect that I caught. I've also wondered :)

Last edited:
The lighting is fab, so bright with wonderful colours. Brilliant set as well the first one is my fav.

Nice set Ian especially the wasp.

Ahhh - you're back :) Welcome back matey - glad to see you havent lost your touch - super shots, love the jumping spider and last fly shot in particular (though all up to your usual standard). Fingers crossed the weather is here to stay for a few months at least

"Excellent" set of images Ian, with great detail, good composition and very nice lighting.(y)

George.

Cheers guys. I'm pleased the lighting is still working as it should :)

Good to be back Carl. The garden has been barren for some time however here's hoping it picks up even more. Rather pleased to get a Ruby tail on my first decent outing in the garden :). Was so hoping it'd land on my hand, especially when it landed on my t-shirt initially. They don't stay still for more than a few seconds though as I'm sure you know :)

Cheers Nick :)

Back