cheers
geof

Thanks very much Geof. Here's some exif info:
Camera Nikon D90
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/11.0
ISO 800
Focal Length 150 mm

It's a Sigma 150 macro on a 36mm Kenko tube. I use flash on manual. If I remember right, it was 1/16 power.

Last edited:
I think you'll find you've got a Small Skipper there. The lighting is very good, very well diffused, great colurs and nice and sharp. If this is a crop, it could do with a little more space at the bottom, you're almost losing the foot!

I think you'll find you've got a Small Skipper there. The lighting is very good, very well diffused, great colurs and nice and sharp. If this is a crop, it could do with a little more space at the bottom, you're almost losing the foot!

Thanks very much Sara.

It is a slight crop, but it's as it was at the bottom.

Oh well - nearly:bonk:

A nice shot of a skipper but I think it's too tightly cropped overall to be honest.

A nice shot of a skipper but I think it's too tightly cropped overall to be honest.

Thanks very much for your input.
You know - I think the penny has dropped. I'm fairly new to macro and pleased with the progress I'm making, but I tend to want to get as tight as possible.

Thanks to all your input, I'm realising that's not always the way to go. So, I had another look through the pics I took of this skipper and found this one. No crop.

What do you think?

I think you'll find you've got a Small Skipper there.
I would have said a Large Skipper going by the faint spotting?
Also Small Skipper has dark brown or orange antenna tips whereas those look black.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your input.
You know - I think the penny has dropped. I'm fairly new to macro and pleased with the progress I'm making, but I tend to want to get as tight as possible.

Thanks to all your input, I'm realising that's not always the way to go. So, I had another look through the pics I took of this skipper and found this one. No crop.

What do you think?

A lovely picture, i think you could crop it in a little but not as much as the first pic. Nice sharp pic though

Thanks Paul.
I've discovered that Macro is all about balance - including how much to crop.
Another lesson learned. Thanks everyone (y)

Back