Could Sony be coming of age?

SimonTALM

Linford Christie
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just read an article on Winter Weddings in Digital Pro magazine (aimed at Pro Togs) I noticed that when it gave guidance in what kit would be required for "off camera" flash along side the kit for both Nikon and Canon there was a list for the kit required for Sony.

I've thought for a long time that Sony's would make it once they started having a pro following but I thought that this would take a few more years. Does anyone know of many Pros (on here or otherwise) using Sony kit?

Must admin that when I saw Sony was making a break into DSLR I was interested and like you think they could be big in a few years, interesting it maybe sooner.

I don't know any pro using it, in fact I don't know anyone (in person) who does.

Don't forget they must have gotten a bit of the old Minolta crowd on their side.

I think it's a little odd Pentax aren't pushing themselves more further with sports/studio oriented gear. Perhaps when Samsung creates their own 24+ Mpixel sensor... then again, they were planning to release a medium format SLR, but I think they have announced they would abort the project.

I haven't seen ANY pros using anything other than Canon or Nikon in the press pits at the moment.

Mind you, most of the 'togs I meet have short arms and deep pockets - so unless something breaks, I doubt they'd replace anything!

Cheers,
James

I haven't seen ANY pros using anything other than Canon or Nikon in the press pits at the moment.

Mind you, most of the 'togs I meet have short arms and deep pockets - so unless something breaks, I doubt they'd replace anything!

Cheers,
James

Perhaps it starts with weddings and events.
That said, I have only met one wedding tog so far (on a friend's wedding, who has been quite happy with her work) and she was an Olympus E-1 user.

I have been known to be seen with a member from these parts carrying a brand with only 4 letters in the word :cautious:

Own up Fabs, you use Sony and might possibly have earned some pennies from it .... ;)

I may have earned a few scheckles from the Sony machine. :whistle:

TBH I haven't seen any pro togs using Sony, the Nikon and Canon brands are quite entrenched in the pro world and I see that being the case, certainly on the press side, for a many years to come. With weddings I'm guessing it may be a different story and with the world and his wife getting into digital photography I think the sony brand could gain momentum, they are certainly stretching ahead of the other non Canikon brands.

All just my pinion of course! ;)

I've seen alot more amateur tog's using Sony's, I think mainly because Sony is a bit more of a household name.

I too think Sony will "Crack" the market, and turn the big two, into a big three. Only better for us, as cameras will only get better, faster and cheaper. Although it might mean that the standard "18 months" might turn into twelve....

My 0.02...

I've just had my first DSLR, a Sony A200. Its generally accepted as one of the best entry level cameras and is proving to be very popular with us newbies.
As we (hopefully) improve and want to progress to better cameras, we're probably most likely to stick with what we know and buy a better Sony.
So it could be a great move for them - catch us newbies early :D

If Sony were really serious about breaking into the pro market they'd have put an iso (ie wha everyone else uses) hotshoe on the A900, rather than the old Minolta one :shrug:

I don't know anything about the Sony flash shoe but I'll take your word that's it's different from what I'm used to (used both Canon and Nikon kit before).

However, I wouldn't have thought that would matter much as most pros use dedicated kit any way and even then I'm sure the pro level 3rd party manufacturers e.g. Quantum and Metz would support the Sony setup (I could be worng, haven't researched it yet).

I don't know anything about the Sony flash shoe but I'll take your word that's it's different from what I'm used to (used both Canon and Nikon kit before).

However, I wouldn't have thought that would matter much as most pros use dedicated kit any way and even then I'm sure the pro level 3rd party manufacturers e.g. Quantum and Metz would support the Sony setup (I could be worng, haven't researched it yet).

It matters if you want to use it in the studio with, say, Pocket Wizards or one of the other brands of flash/camera triggers as none, afaik, do Sony-specific models.

By the response I think there is a definate feeling that Sony will make it but not quite at the moment it seems. I suppose this is a case where "one swallow doesn't make her my girlfirend" (bonus point to who can say where this line is from ;))

Its from Coupling;)

Victor

Back