Could this be a scam ?

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
I have an item for sale on Facebook marketplace, a Tow Bar mount Thule bike rack, asking price £175.00. Someone says he wants it and will send a Chronopost courier tomorrow with the cash to pick up the rack.
Chronopost seems to be part of DPD.
As anyone used this system ?
Could this be some sort of scam, if so how would it work ?
As yet I have no arranged anything and exchanged no details.
Your thoughts please.

Do couriers hand out cash?
If they do, seems ok.

I know folks that have done this before, not sure who with though.
As long as you get the cash, and check its not counterfeit then happy days.
My only worry is what happens if they say they're not happy with it?
Tbh I always prefer folks to pick it up themselves then they know what they're getting and there's no comeback then....

SCAM

SCAM. If it’s genuine which I doubt then you would be able to check it all out on DPD/Chronopost website. I’ve only read about similar set ups that that were scams.

Well, I cannot see the potential scam here, maybe that will 'develop' ?
I asked for his full name and address and a contact number, thinking if it was a scam he would disappear.

He replied, "I am hard of hearing, I have a problem communicating by phone thats why I suggested you contact messenger"

I have no idea what he meant by 'contact messenger'

I have replied "Two many redflags here, please do not contact me again"

I still fail to see where this possible scam ? was going although I found
A Web reference to a request to pay insurance on the courier money

All good fun eh ?

It’s a scam. Every time I post anything for sale on FB marketplace, I usually get at least one person who straight away offers the asking price without asking any questions. They then say “I’m working tomorrow so will send a courier to collect and they will give you the money”. As soon as I tell them to get lost and say “go scam someone else”, they immediately leave the group chat. I am not aware of any courier in the UK that offers a service like this. Yes Chronopost is part of DPD, but I’m pretty certain that’s in France. I would suggest staying away unless they pay cash on collection or PayPal.

It’s a scam. Every time I post anything for sale on FB marketplace, I usually get at least one person who straight away offers the asking price without asking any questions. They then say “I’m working tomorrow so will send a courier to collect and they will give you the money”. As soon as I tell them to get lost and say “go scam someone else”, they immediately leave the group chat. I am not aware of any courier in the UK that offers a service like this. Yes Chronopost is part of DPD, but I’m pretty certain that’s in France. I would suggest staying away unless they pay cash on collection or PayPal.
Thanks, but the potential buyer said " I will send a Chroropost courier tomorrow to your home to give you the cash for the goods and pick up the item"
Now maybe they would have attempted to change these 'rules of engagement' given time ? Now I will never know :rolleyes:

Thanks, but the potential buyer said " I will send a Chroropost courier tomorrow to your home to give you the cash for the goods and pick up the item"
Now maybe they would have attempted to change these 'rules of engagement' given time ? Now I will never know :rolleyes:
Apparently they will ask you to cover the cost of insurance which you’ll have to pay the courier - which will probably be the same/more than the cost of the item you’re selling. Google it and you’ll see the scam detailed on various sites. All the best.

Also, have you checked the Facebook profile of the buyer? I guarantee that it will be locked so you won’t be able to see much about who they are. The picture is likely to be a fake profile and more than often, their grammar will be poor as the scammers are usually based somewhere far away. The other scam that I’ve seen going round on market place is people contacting you with a link and asking if the item you’re selling is similar to the product in the link. I’ve had multiple people sending me these - never clicked on the links but I just know it’s a scam as they want you to click on some random link.

I have no idea what he meant by 'contact messenger'

Its probably poor English — I think he means “contact by Messenger”, ie Facebook Messenger app. or within Facebook

Maybe it’s genuine but the cash service must be advertised on DPD in that case.

I think the scams work by some sort of con where they try to get you to pay something to guarantee the delivery.

I ordered the book "How to spot an internet scam" by Ian Sawyer-Cummin back in November. Still not arrived...

Any request for an unconventional payment method will nearly always be a scam. From the Reddit link above, this one looks like advance fee fraud on the 'insurance', and phishing with fake links to the 'courier'. They're not interested in your item, just the 'insurance' payment. No courier will actually turn up.

Chronopost is part of the French post office (LaPoste) their version of parcel force, so I doubt they operate direct in the UK. Enough said I would have thought.

I ordered the book "How to spot an internet scam" by Ian Sawyer-Cummin back in November. Still not arrived...
Here endeth the First Lesson … :).

Back