Couple from Cumbria and a couple from Iceland (2 more added)

Name
Mark Littlejohn
Edit My Images
No
All technically nice. I am sorry though, I don't get one or three. They are images I just cannot relate to. Sorry.

That said, I like the 2nd and 4th. The very subtle colours and light in 4 and distant bleak view are really spectacular.

All technically nice. I am sorry though, I don't get one or three. They are images I just cannot relate to. Sorry.

That said, I like the 2nd and 4th. The very subtle colours and light in 4 and distant bleak view are really spectacular.

I am extremely happy with #1 - in fact I would describe it as a keeper.

I know where you are coming from though and each to his own.

Ha - that's interesting - I especially like 1 and I think 3 has great potential for images within that composition :)

Just jealous you got to go rather than me really :D

Dave

With regards to #3 I think you are absolutely right. About 30 seconds after this I was hit by a blizzard and so the rest of the shots were slightly ruined. A square works very well from one I took in portrait mode but the swirling snowflakes knackered it.

I think number one is actually my favourite. Good photos are meant to make you feel something, and that image certainly makes me feel cold and isolated. Number three is superb as well, a really great abstract sort of shot with a great sense of scale from the small lone tree in the bottom left third.

Really great images :)

Interesting set. I particularly like 1 & 2. No1 has a strange 'arty' quality to it which I like. But was does amaze me......you found trees in Iceland;)

I looked at these on flickr yesterday Mark and #3 really stood out for me - something in it's simplicity that attracts the eye - I alos like #1 - very nice portrayal of a winter scenen although the snow on the trunks/branches of the birches does some a little too bright?

(I also like the other two but the above warranted a comment :))

What a set. Great processing all round. I love the slightly abstract, formal compositions in 1 and 3, and the way the clouds blend into the highest mountain tops in 2. All three are cracking images. The last doesn't do so much for me - nice enough but lacks anything to really capture the interest for an extended viewing.

Last edited:
I had to come back to these four images to see them again - because they are so outstanding. Followed the link onto Flickr and then the penny dropped ( your name) - of course LPOTY winner - truly wonderful work
James

All outstanding images,I keep coming back too look at no 4 just love the atmosphere and light .

Certainly can see why you hit the trigger, great set agree with Buck with #1 snow on the trees does a little blown, and is that snow falling also? if so great approach and well done for getting in amongst it certainly paid off in #1, thank you for sharing Mark.

Cheers folks - the snow isn't blown, although it does look brighter on flickr than on the original. It was a deliberate move to make it high key as I preferred it that way. All the detail is still there. The backdrop is actually a pebbledashed wall just behind the trees. I just liked the fact that it had the look of a stormy winters sky.

Very nice, I especially like the first, my only minor thing is the horizontal branch at the top left hand side. I would be tempted to make little crop off the top and bottom to make it more abstract, but that is just me.

Very nice, I especially like the first, my only minor thing is the horizontal branch at the top left hand side. I would be tempted to make little crop off the top and bottom to make it more abstract, but that is just me.

And don't think I haven't looked at that :)

I cropped it two or three ways but usually done just to remove that horizontal branch. I couldn't really give you a reason why I didn't go through with it. I think partially to avoid it being too abstract and too clean in that respect but sometimes we just like what we like without really knowing why.

I had to come back to these four images to see them again - because they are so outstanding. Followed the link onto Flickr and then the penny dropped ( your name) - of course LPOTY winner - truly wonderful work
James

Thanks, but the title isn't something I'm overly happy with. I took a picture that some judges liked. If anything it would probably be better as photograph of the year as opposed to photographer.

Thanks, but the title isn't something I'm overly happy with. I took a picture that some judges liked. If anything it would probably be better as photograph of the year as opposed to photographer.

Yes - I fully understand that. I'm the Astronomy Photographer of the Year winner for 2014 so I fully empathise
James

1 and 3 are by far the stand outs of the set for me.

3 is my fav - great lines and form. Love that little tree isolated in the snow.

Lovely set Mark, as always!
The first is the star of the show, love that shot. Really nicely composed, and a scene I would have walked straight past.
The 4th is really nice too.

Beautiul set of images.
2 has to be my favourite as far as landscape goes, but although it more resembles a pencil drawing than a photograph, number 1 is what keeps drawing me back.

I like them all, but I think #1 is special; it almost looks like a charcoal drawing rather than a photo. I really like #3 also because it is a bit more abstract.

2 and 4 are good photos that I would have been pleased to have taken, but they don;t have the unique qualities of the other two.

Lovely Mark, especially the first.
Heading off to Vik on a couple of weeks!

Lovely Mark, especially the first.
Heading off to Vik on a couple of weeks!

I wanted to spend a day around there but father-in-law is 77 and wasn't too well so I ended up with a minute or two...

It looks an amazing location. I will be going back next year and hopefully I'll be able to properly explore. I far prefer the little view to the big one.

No1 ticks all the boxes for me! I love this shot very simple but very effective, and I had no idea that was a wall the effect is excellent looks just like your looking into a bleak winter night. Cracking! Its the sort of thing I could imagine on a Christmas card, (excuse the idea). Really like this... A lot. The lightings just right you've gotta up the exposure to keep the snow white.(y)

No2 interesting shot, horizontal strata that seems to run across the foreground and appears to run up the foremost mountain, I like that its quite effective. I also like the ridge and peaks running up the RH side and almost merging into the clouds. Great pools of light across the range and clouds.

No3 Love the Strong diagonal.... There's a lot of space but it appears to work for some reason? I like the very lone tree and the strong black lines meandering through the shot. I think its this division that makes it work as between the two lines the snow is much more evenly spread, and looks a nice clean white. I guess because on the grass of the racetrack beneath.

No4 like this too, lots of great tones and textures here and lots to look at. Helvellyn another of my favourite spots (Not my Wife's, she said she knows where the Hell came from, mind you did take her via Striding Edge:rolleyes: ooppss). Great view of the peaks and ridges here covered with a lovely dusting of snow. Nice light and subtle colours.

I think the winners is No1 for me .... Nice Work Mark!

Will come back and comment latest couple you have posted.......;)

I wanted to spend a day around there but father-in-law is 77 and wasn't too well so I ended up with a minute or two...

It looks an amazing location. I will be going back next year and hopefully I'll be able to properly explore. I far prefer the little view to the big one.

Yes, it certainly does look like an incredible location. Keeping my fingers crossed the weather holds back.

Anyway, cheers for sharing,

All the best
Neil

Back