Beginner couple from port lympne

Love love LOVE the Pallas cat in the last one.
Nicely framed too.

I like the look on the second one.
Lions seem to have two looks "magnificent but bored" and "I might be able to eat that".
Number 2 is definitely look hungry.

Hi Dazzler,

I hope you don't find the following too harsh. It's intended to help, not demotivate.

The Lion shots all look a bit blue. It looks like these have come out of Lightroom so either try to warm them up in Lightroom or switch your camera off auto WB to "cloudy" or similar, that should make them warmer.

In general you should try to get the focus on the eye, especially important with longer focal lengths and large-ish apertures as these are. Normally this means shooting with a single focus point placed over the (closest) eye.

Finally the ideal shutter speed is the reciprocal of the focal length so if you are shooting at 250mm you should have 1/250s, as a rule. Obviously if your subject is moving, this may need to be faster. #3 in particular seems to be suffering from motion blur. I regularly shoot at zoos wanting the shutter at 1/500s or faster, even more for the bird displays.

The Pallas cat is quite good but, personally, I would have liked to see the cat in the light not the shadow. The attention is drawn away from the subject too much by the bright spots and even the rock.

Please try to take this in the good faith it's meant. All my early photo's I shared on here are long since deleted from flickr! I'm just trying to pass on some good advice given to me from this forum.

Happy snapping,

Gary

Nice pics. As far as critique goes I was pretty much going to say the same as Gary. I tend to shoot at 1/1000 at wildlife parks unless light is particularly poor. Has any PP been done, and do you shoot in RAW or jpeg?

I recently went to Port Lympne, and its sister park Howletts, (Howletts was on an actually photography experience day, I've posted a thread on here of both), great places aren't they? It was the first time I'd seen a Pallas Cat and was instantly smitten. Did he come out of the shadows at all for you?

Hi snerkler yes i did use lightroom an did go over the top with it, Thats something i need to get control of as im learnng how to use that as well. I was at howletts the following week from when i took these shots as i got a gold pass so we can go when we like as im not far from them. As for the pallas cat it hardly moved at all, an i am shooting in raw.

Hi snerkler yes i did use lightroom an did go over the top with it, Thats something i need to get control of as im learnng how to use that as well. I was at howletts the following week from when i took these shots as i got a gold pass so we can go when we like as im not far from them. As for the pallas cat it hardly moved at all, an i am shooting in raw.
I must've been lucky when I went then as he/she was out searching round for chickens they'd left scattered everywhere. You're very lucky having these places on your doorstep, I'd be there every week ;) Mind you I shouldn't complain too much as the Yorkshire Wildlife Park is only 45 mins from me.

Lightroom is a learning curve, which never seems to end tbh. I still go back to old photos and think "what was I doing there" :LOL:

I must've been lucky when I went then as he/she was out searching round for chickens they'd left scattered everywhere. You're very lucky having these places on your doorstep, I'd be there every week ;) Mind you I shouldn't complain too much as the Yorkshire Wildlife Park is only 45 mins from me.

Lightroom is a learning curve, which never seems to end tbh. I still go back to old photos and think "what was I doing there" :LOL:

I brought a gold pass so can visit whenever i want, im taking the grandson tommorow so will have a play with the settings a little. I see you have a 150-600 lens is this the sigma lens ?? been looking to upgrade and have seen the sigma and the canon 100-400L deries lens!

I brought a gold pass so can visit whenever i want, im taking the grandson tommorow so will have a play with the settings a little. I see you have a 150-600 lens is this the sigma lens ?? been looking to upgrade and have seen the sigma and the canon 100-400L deries lens!
No, it's the Tamron. Got a good deal on it so seemed like a no brainer ;)

Back