couple more moon shots

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
taken these over the last few days with my new 100-400, quite happy, but i wonder if anyone can tell me why there apears to be a blue edge to the top of the moon, this was also ther before any pp was done, thanks for looking
moon.jpg

moon2-1.jpg

Not sure about blue tinge nut I think photographs are excellent, what were the setting and post production work.

i try loads of shots and take the best changing iso etc, nomally keep the iso at 100, but the first one is iso 400, f/5.6 and 1/160, the second is iso 100, f/5.6 and 1/60, both raw with a lot of sharpening to bring out the craters, thanks for the compliment too, i think its just trial and error as i read use iso 100, f9 and 1/160

Last edited:
You will probably find the the blue edge is in fact blown highlights.
and that your white balance is "out"
Giving the blue tint. try warming them up a little and see if that does the trick.
or selective colour and turn down the "blue"

A very nice couple of images though (y)

blown highlights, can you explain what i have done wrong please, also think i should have changed the white balance before too, not sure what to though

blown highlights, can you explain what i have done wrong please, also think i should have changed the white balance before too, not sure what to though

The moon is an incredibly bright object due to the suns reflection, as you probably know,
and quite a difficult subject especially when its full.
I wouldn't say that you have done anything wrong, but I would be inclined
to expose half to a full stop under (this will make the moon a little darker)
And then use the shadow / highlights tool to bring it up to the desired
brightness.
Try the WB set to cloudy. Even if its a bright night.
This tends to warm the image slightly as well. (canons especially do seem to have the habit of producing a blue-ish hue in some circumstances)
I can't read your EXIF data, but would suggest that around 1/200th-1/250th
and around f/11 would be a good starting point, with an ISO of 200 and WB set to cloudy.

done another tonight, set wb to daylight, iso 100, f9, 1/20, great tip about reducing blue, thanks Cobra
moon4.jpg

Glad your sorted (y)

Back