Couple of Canon questions..

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all-First post after spending days reading through these forums.
Seems to be a fabulous place for all levels of ability!
(of which i am certainly on the beginner end of the scale :))
Ok-So i recently bought my first DSLR,after having had 35mm Canons for years,own darkroom etc.
Knew nothing at all about all this new technology (new to me anyway!)
On a visit to the local Currys,saw the Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS lens kit for 349.99,and just couldnt resist.
Was told it will happily take older Canon EF lenses,and that there was very little difference to the 450D. (which they didnt have in stock)
Now..Upon getting home with my new toy,and having a try with the Sigma 70-300 DL... The Camera refuses to work and says "Error in communication between camera and lens"
Same with a 200mm zoom from my old 35mm EOS.
Guess this means i need to go spend some cash on new lenses.
This likely to be the case with all Canon EF fit lenses?-Or am i just real unlucky?
Also-Anyone able to compare their findings between the 1000D and the 450D?
I know the 450D is 12mp compared to 10,but as a relative beginner to DSLR's am i likely to really miss those extra couple of MP?
Jason.

All Canon EF lenses will fit. Some of the older 3rd party lenses are not fully compatible. If its a Canon lens rather than Sigma/Tamron it should be fine - unless the contacts on the lens is corroded.

i had a sigma 105 macro that would not work with my 40d, sent it off to sigma and they rechiped it for me could be the same for you.was told that it would cost a few ££ but when it came back it was done for nothing.

Hello Jason and welcome to the forum:welcome::welcome:

I am afraid there is no short answer to your questions except to say welcome to the club of incurables:D

In trying to keep my response as short and sensible as possible I will venture the following:

All older Canon lenses with the "EF" prefix to the model should work and obviously the "modern" Canon EF-S lenses.

As far as the differences between the 450D and 1000D goes, I would say there might be one or two worthwhile features on the 450 which are not on the 1000 but you have already committed to the 1000 so start investing in good glass now.

Don't worry too much about the 10 vs 12 Mp...unless you print REALLY LARGE prints all the time...even so there is very little difference between 10 and 12.

Have a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...cameras=canon_eos1000d,canon_eos450d&show=all

22 grams, 0.5 fps and 1/2 an inch in screen size is about it...not much of a difference IMHO

Do know that most of these topics are open to hot debate and subject to opinion so good luck and do your own homework...

Remember to have fun too:D

HTH

The 18-55 IS will serve you well for now.

I have no personal experience with it but the older non-IS 18-55 is a nice little lens with no pretenses of grandeur and acceptible results.

As your needs specialize you can buy glass to suit specific needs but if I may suggest, disregard all further EF-S lens purchases and go for EF. Third party if you must...(IMHO:nono:)

Good luck!

Presumably, the reason is because any EF-S lenses will become redundant should the OP move to full frame in the future.

Yep;) Well said on my behalf:D

Things might be different in the U.K. but down here in my village kit has very little 2nd hand value.

Also, I thought I might hopefully oneday maybe own a 5D but never a 1D...and now since March this year I got a 5D and 2 1D bodies...rendering all my EF-S lenses useless...

I would advise anyone to future-proof their kit, no matter how far off you think those "big" cameras might be...unless you know for a fact that a XXD is where it stops.

In any event, great glass on good bodies make for better images than good glass on great bodies...IMHO anyway.

HTH,

Cheers

I would advise anyone to future-proof their kit, no matter how far off you think those "big" cameras might be...unless you know for a fact that a XXD is where it stops.
I think that's bad advice.

If you want to experience the fun to be had with ultra-wide angle lenses, and you've got a crop-sensor Canon, then you need something like the EF-S 10-22mm. Sticking slavishly to full-frame compatible lenses would just close that door to you.

Or if you want to shoot in low light, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is a *great* lens. Far better for the job than any full-frame compatible lens.
Things might be different in the U.K. but down here in my village kit has very little 2nd hand value.
Things *are* different in the UK. Good EF-S lenses like the ones I've mentioned will command good resale prices.

There's a lot of rubbish talked about full-frame DSLRs. Some people behave as if they think *real* cameras (for *real* men) are full-frame and anything less is just a kid's toy. How come they're not using Hasselblads then? The simple truth is that they're just different tools which have different strengths and weaknesses. And crop sensors aren't going to suddenly disappear like the future-proofers seem to think.

:agree: I agree with Stewart, if you're shooting on a cropped body and you're not expecting to be moving to a full framed body any time soon then I wouldn't (and didn't) rule out the likes of the EF-S 10-22mm and EF-S 17-55mm.

I owned both lenses when I was shooting on a 40D and got a lot of good use out of them. I don't think there were EF equivalents that would have offered the same functionality i.e. an ultra-wide covering that focal length range and a fast (f/2.8) standard zoom with IS.

Thank you Stewart and DR for answering on my behalf ;)

With respect to Anton (and I know where you're coming from) I don't think it's helpful to advise someone who's just bought a 1000D that they should be investing in full-frame kit right now :eek: And I thought very carefully before buying my EF-S 10-22mm and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lenses. They are both very sharp, and very well made. Even L glass doesn't come any better.

Full frame has some advantages - the two main ones being slightly shallower depth of field if that's your thing, and theoretically superior image quality. BUT, you are only ever going to get to see the latter if you shoot with the very finest lenses, always at optimum aperture, and produce very large prints 20in wide or more. Even so, the five foot wide print on my wall from a 40D looks pretty damn good to me.

Future improvements to sensors and also image processing software will continue to improve crop-sensor quality, and it will take even more extreme circumstances to realise full-frame benefits. The future for the vast majority of keen photographers lies with crop sensor cameras, not full frame, which will always be much bigger and more expensive, and needing much bigger and more expensive lenses. The cost differential in particular, is huge. (Law of diminishing returns?)

BR,

Richard.

What I am advising them to do (even if I articulated it badly) is to think carefully about where they are going with photography.

I made a few horrible mistakes which I would like to see few others make. For 1 I bought my 350D hot off the press in May 2005 when they were hardly available down here.

When I sold it early this year I got less than a quarter of what I paid for it, no forced sale, just that was what I could get for it.

I had the 10-22 and I had loads of fun with it...went and sold it after my 20D sold off and 1/3 of the new price was the best I could get...again no forced sale, I had it in the market for weeks.

I also understand that the 2nd hand market is (thankfully) very different in the U.K. and I did allude to that...

You folks are rather fortunate in that aspect so that does put a different perspective on buying and upgrading kit(y)

Thank you for all the replies!
After having a look around,it seems that i could get a used Sigma for pretty much the same price as rechipping the 300 would cost.
(And after a little browse...Iv'e got my eyes on another piece of glass.. :p )

Regarding the Full Frame vs Cropped thing...
I wasnt even aware of the Cropped Sensor on the 1000D.and to be quite honest wouldnt have a clue as to the differences anyway :)
I cant see my budget allowing for any of the "Pro" camera's for quite some time (5 kids kinda drain the resources!),so the EF/EF-S issue shouldnt pose a problem.
I had a poster sized print made from a nice pic of 3 of the kids to hang on the wall-and to be honest even at that size,i was amazed at the quality.
Back to the Glass... Have seen a nice looking little lens in Jessops,which states is suitable for both DSLR and Full Frame 35mm.
This wont be an issue with cropped sensor will it?
The lens in question is the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM (Canon AF),which they are selling at £587.22
(Im a sucker for cheap (compared to Canon) large zooms :naughty:)
Thx again for the answers folks!

... Have seen a nice looking little lens in Jessops,which states is suitable for both DSLR and Full Frame 35mm.
This wont be an issue with cropped sensor will it?
The lens in question is the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM (Canon AF),which they are selling at £587.22
(Im a sucker for cheap (compared to Canon) large zooms :naughty:)
Thx again for the answers folks!
It will fit.

However, you might want to bear in mind that this is one of the most unreliable lenses on the market. The guys at LensRentals in the USA have been tabulating failure statistics (they're probably the only people who have enough data to be able to do this!) and you can see the results here.

Thanks for the heads up on that Sigma.
Wow-44% failure rate...
Perhaps i wont be buying that one after all!
anyone have any suggestions for a decent 300/400mm,pref in similar price range?
(I know £500-£600 isnt THAT expensive for DSLR lenses...But-It is still a fair chunk of cash to me anyway :) )

Not sure of the current pricing but my 100-300mm F4 Sigma is a cracking lens. Might be a little above the top price but if you shop round...
Still F5.6 with a 1.4x convertor too (y)

Stewart and DR, at last some people will a little brains :LOL: I total agree with both of you, as I got my EF-S 17_55 2.8 IS in June 2007 I can say it's a first rate lens and doubt you'll get an L in the same range that can better it.

But then again I should not have been using it for the last 18 months as I MAY go FF in some distant future. Darn it why did I waste the £8 an month (and reducing) on an EF-S just so I could enjoy my hobby.

Two other lenses to consider are Canons 70-300mmIS (not the non IS versions)and the Sigma 50-150mmf/2.8.I use the Sigma a lot as I find f/2.8 really useful and rarely need to shoot over 150mm---if so then a 2xTC does the trick.Both these lenses come within your budget,although with the Canon you will have to shell out extra for the lens hood.

Back