Couple of lens questions

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

I went to a great little photography shop in Warwick yesterday and bought the 85mm lens for my Paxette.

I was wondering two things:

1 - what is the size of the thread on these lenses for a lens hood?
2 - what sized caps would I need for the rear of the lenses? The guy tried his best but couldn't find one that fit perfectly.

Cheers
ped

4510010059_089efdf663.jpg

M39x1

M39 :D Leica LTM, FED, etc. Also same thread as most enlargers too, so any enlarger lens rear cap will fit.

Great, that's nice an easy then. Thanks for the help. Now I need to find a turret viewfinder or similar...

ped

You can take a leaf out of Big Yin's book and use a FED-4 :D

Yeah a turret viewfinder... Just got one for £50 odd, should be OK.

The camera shop is called 'Sid & James' cameras, the address is 13 Market Place, CV34 4SA, tel 01926 492444, email raymondholland@tiscali.co.uk

I also bought an original box and case plus a body/lens front+ rear cap set. Good job the accessories for the Paxette are so cheap!

ped

Thanks - I did consider a step up ring which would broaden my horizons. Ideally the hood will be metal as the camera is so solid it wouldn't feel right with a plastic one.

I really like the look of some of the Leitz square hoods, like the collapsable one here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leica-Leitz-S...ViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item45f247f5cb but have no idea what sized thread they have, and many seem to be 'push fit' which I guess wouldn't be suitable for a threaded lens?

Cheers
ped

the push fit ones go over the outside of the lens, rather than pushing into the threaded bit, much like the front caps in the above picture. I've mixed feelings about push fit, tbh, as i'm a clumsy so-and-so, and knock things like that off regularly :(

I'm having a bit of trouble finding M39 lens hoods. I have bought a couple from eBay that are copies of Leica types like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lens-Hood-for...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item53dc83ad6a

But for some reason I really like square hoods, and even if I do get a round one I would prefer it to be chrome.

Any ideas?

Cheers
ped

I got the exact same one for my Fed-3's Industar-61 52mm f/2.8 lens - It's really well engineered for the money - feels completely solid, threads are smooth and well cut, and the cut-out back of the hood means you don't lose half the image from the rangefinder window. It does look a little incongruous with the silver and black finish of the Industar, just a wee bit high-tech, but it does the job well, and you can't see what it looks like when you look at the photo's its taken!

Back