Couple of Tufted Ducks.

Edit My Images
Yes
Down at the duck-pond :)

Starting to realise that this lens isn't as sharp at 300mm as it could be. Still a nice lens though...

tuftedduck.jpg

tuftedduck2.jpg

Down at the duck-pond :)

Starting to realise that this lens isn't as sharp at 300mm as it could be. Still a nice lens though...

Are you sure it's the glass and not the operator Ewan ... :cautious: ... you might be suffering camera shake at the long end ... :shrug:

Nice ducks though ... :D

:p

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure Ven. Could it still be camera shake at 1/800 sec and the VR switched on...? It could be me though. I guess all glass will degrade in sharpness slightly towards the long end :shrug:

Maybe I shouldn't be so fussy :D

Nice shots!
Depth of field can be quite narrow towards the longer end of big zooms though.Unlikely camera shake at 1/800,especially if VR on.

Cheers,
Spud.

Good point Spud. I'm not used to such narrow DOF really...what f-stop would you guys recommend for ducks and things at the long end of the zoom. I've been using 5.6 most of the time (low as it can go at 300mm).

Both lovely shots Ewan! (y) No 2 is may fav though. There seems to be a slightly overexposed patch on the duck in shot 1, but that could just be my old laptop screen! Nice work fella!:clap:

Depth of field can be quite narrow towards the longer end of big zooms though.Unlikely camera shake at 1/800,especially if VR on.

I would have to agree with that so it might just be a case of not getting the focus spot on ... :shrug: ... which you would really need to do at f5.6 ... :eek:

Trouble is if you increase f stop you will either have to decrease shutter or increase ISO to compensate ... ;) ... but you already know this so it is just a case of experiment away until you have it sussed and are happy with your results ... :D

After all it is early doors yet isn't it ... :shrug:

:p

Well I think you're just being too fussy :LOL: Those shots are superb Ewan (y)

Well I think you're just being too fussy :LOL:

I am known for it! And cheers :D

I'll be doing that today Ven - looks like a bright day again so I'll go along and have another go. Unfortunately I've woken up with a cold :( But that won't stop me :D

Ian - yes I think there is. I thought about underexposing slightly but that would just ruin the blacks probably :shrug: Might have a go at "Tufted Duck HDR" when I figure out how to open these bloomin' Nikon Raw files.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments :)

nice shots ewan the tufted duck is a lovely little duck i'd be well chuffed with those

Back