Couple of Weddings

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I've been second shooting at a few weddings this year, and wanted to share some from the most recent two. Sorry if the processing isn't uniform across the set, I don't actually need to process any for the client. Without that motivation it's been a struggle to look through all the images and process them at once.. so they were done in dribs and drabs..

L1050043-Edit by dancook1982, on Flickr

DSC_0350 by dancook1982, on Flickr

DSC_0196 by dancook1982, on Flickr

DSC_0157 by dancook1982, on Flickr

DSC_8961 by dancook1982, on Flickr

DSC_8736 by dancook1982, on Flickr

DSC_8866 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Call it magic, when I'm with you by dancook1982, on Flickr

Bride or Groom????? :) :) on a serious note may I ask what lens you use for the candids?

Les

The only kit I use is a nikon D750 with 85m 1.8g and a leica Q which is a point and shoot with a built in 28mm 1.7 lens

The only kit I use is a nikon D750 with 85m 1.8g and a leica Q which is a point and shoot with a built in 28mm 1.7 lens

Thanks Dan- I ask as I am shooting a wedding in September - I don't own an 85mm

My kit for the Happy Day

2 x Sony a77Mk2's bodies
17-50mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
35mm f1.8

various Flash Units and a flash bender - tripod etc

Do you think I would need to buy an 85mm ???

Les

Thanks Dan- I ask as I am shooting a wedding in September - I don't own an 85mm

My kit for the Happy Day

2 x Sony a77Mk2's bodies
17-50mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
35mm f1.8

various Flash Units and a flash bender - tripod etc

Do you think I would need to buy an 85mm ???

Les

I guess it will depend on your style and how you work..

I have the 28mm round my neck and the 85mm over my shoulder and if I see something happening, like a cowboy in a western, I grab it and shoot :D a 70-200mm would be a bit cumbersome for for me.

Also I like shallow DOF, when I had canon i use the Canon 85mm 1.2 II - so 1.8 was a bit like a compromise as I was wanted a cost effective combo after having sold my Canon kit.

So I don't think you need to buy one, you've got the 70-200mm 2.8 which covers the FL - I personally don't feel a need for a 70-200mm but I'd be a bit naked without the 85mm..

I guess it will depend on your style and how you work..

I have the 28mm round my neck and the 85mm over my shoulder and if I see something happening, like a cowboy in a western, I grab it and shoot :D a 70-200mm would be a bit cumbersome for for me.

Also I like shallow DOF, when I had canon i use the Canon 85mm 1.2 II - so 1.8 was a bit like a compromise as I was wanted a cost effective combo after having sold my Canon kit.

So I don't think you need to buy one, you've got the 70-200mm 2.8 which covers the FL - I personally don't feel a need for a 70-200mm but I'd be a bit naked without the 85mm..

Thank you Dan- I was intending to use both bodies one with the 17-50mm 2.8 and one with the 70-200 (for mostly candid portraits), switching to the 35mm f1.8 for inside shots of
the reception

I did consider the Samyang 85mm f1.4 its around the £250 mark although this lens is manual focus only - or the 24-70mm f2.8 at around £600 any thoughts???

sorry to post this on thread- I thought it may be of help to others in my situation :)

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dan- I was intending to use both bodies one with the 17-50mm 2.8 and one with the 70-200 (for mostly candid portraits), switching to the 35mm f1.8 for inside shots of
the reception

I did consider the Samyang 85mm f1.4 its around the £250 mark or the 24-70mm f2.8 at around £600 any thoughts???

sorry to post this on thread- I thought it may be of help to others in my situation :)

Les

I've never owned a zoom...except for a kit lens that came with my first camera - since then it's been prime, prime, prime, prime..etc..

I can't speak for the Samyang either, I don't know much about it with regards to quality and autofocus.

If you had an 85mm when will you use it? and when will you use the 70-200mm?

If you can come up with a logically plan that doesn't involve having to switches lenses every five minutes..

I think perhaps - 70-200mm for ceremony, speeches and b+g shots, 85mm for candids and during night..

I've never owned a zoom...except for a kit lens that came with my first camera - since then it's been prime, prime, prime, prime..etc..

I can't speak for the Samyang either, I don't know much about it with regards to quality and autofocus.

If you had an 85mm when will you use it? and when will you use the 70-200mm?

If you can come up with a logically plan that doesn't involve having to switches lenses every five minutes..

I think perhaps - 70-200mm for ceremony, speeches and b+g shots, 85mm for candids and during night..

Food for thought Dan - I'll ponder your advice. I too thought 70-200mm would be used mostly - so maybe an 85mm f1.4 / Sony f1.8 should be on my list to purchase for my 2nd camera body the sony version is f1.8 the Sanyang is f1.4 but NO auto focus
Looks like a Sony 85mm then :)

Thanks for your help mate- really appreciated

Les

Thanks for your help mate- really appreciated

Les

No worries, another thing that's nice - is this is all I take (nice and light!)

14095714_10157628375990227_6230158077730361759_n.jpg

But i am second shooting remember, so I don't need a super wide angle just in case for a group shot, the main tog has a 70-200.

I'm now looking for an 85mm Dan, to compliment the 70-200mm

I do have a 105mm f2.8 - did think of using that - in fact I will use that for the rings and cake shots

Les

In July this year I shot my youngest grandsons wedding and all I used was my 24-70mm lens, did not see the need to change to the 70-200mm lens.

Loving these photo's especially the black and whites, did you use a preset or an action to produce them?

Loving these photo's especially the black and whites, did you use a preset or an action to produce them?

Mono ones a preset in lightroom the colour onesa mix of lr and photoshop action.

And thanks!

Last edited:
the reception

I did consider the Samyang 85mm f1.4 its around the £250 mark although this lens is manual focus only - or the 24-70mm f2.8 at around £600 any thoughts???

Les

Something to consider is that an 85 on D750 (FX) is about the same field of view as 60mm on an a77 (DX) body. 85 on crop is likely to be too much tele, and your legs may not be able to zoom out far enough. Instead consider something like the sony 50 1.4, which is a really nice lens for people used around f1.6-1.7 (too soft at 1.4).

FWIW I have the Samyang 85 1.4 on FX, and it's a lovely lens but not quick enough manual focusing to easily catch candids at a wedding.

Some nice stuff there, Mr Cook. FWIW, if that was my gig and you were the second, the couple would get 4 out of the above 9 and 38 out of the 55 on flickr :)

:D Cheers Dan, I need to spend some more time looking at everyone elses wedding photos for inspiration

When I don't have to process my images, I feel it affects my chance to grow and learn..

Last edited:
... I need to spend some more time looking at everyone elses wedding photos for inspiration

Worst thing you could do IMO.

You can see people pictures just fine. You've got the shooting techniques just about nailed. All you need to do to improve as a second at weddings is shoot more of them (which if nothing else will improve your anticipation), tune into and bounce off the "feel" of the gig as well as the action, and learn what separates a cool wedding candid from a cute snapshot.

For that last one, you do need to check out some good wedding photography sites, unless you get the chance to have the primary run through your take and tell you why they pick what they do, and don't pick what you yourself would.

Worst thing you could do IMO.

You can see people pictures just fine. You've got the shooting techniques just about nailed. All you need to do to improve as a second at weddings is shoot more of them (which if nothing else will improve your anticipation), tune into and bounce off the "feel" of the gig as well as the action, and learn what separates a cool wedding candid from a cute snapshot.

For that last one, you do need to check out some good wedding photography sites, unless you get the chance to have the primary run through your take and tell you why they pick what they do, and don't pick what you yourself would.

Thanks Dan, I'll do that..

Second shot three weddings in last 3-4 weeks and got another in 2 weeks :) a good ten or so in total this year and only going to be doing more next year too..

Nice work Dan. I like them all, except the magician shot. I don't know what you've done in post but they look like something from Madame Tussauds :confused:

Nicely done Dan. Must be ace to have such a light kit to carry around (not too far away myself really). :)

Back