covering football matches.

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of advice here...

I have been covering my local women's football team to help them get a bit of publicity, but I have been struggling to get decent shots, the majority of them are coming out blurry.

I am working to a budget just now so unable to upgrade my equipment just yet,
I'm currently using a Canon 6D, with a 24-105 f4 lens and a canon 70-200 f4.

Could anyone share any advice they may have to help improve my shots?

Thanks in advance.

I've been trying different shutter speeds, anything from 1/250 up to 1/1000.

Make sure you've not set it to single shot focus and have it on continuous focus.

That is a 'Posher' Camera than my Lowly 2007 bought pentax K10D and I have no probs with getting sharp action with it -- just UP the ISO numbers then and shoot 'Tv' Shutter Priority and choose at least 1.500th second -- here is one of mine I did earlier --- and the LENS was only a free gift 80-200mm f4.5 'Prinzflex' manual focus not an all-singing-all-dancing Canon and it was used in the Essex Chronicle.
Soccer Action.jpg

Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of advice here...

I have been covering my local women's football team to help them get a bit of publicity, but I have been struggling to get decent shots, the majority of them are coming out blurry.

I am working to a budget just now so unable to upgrade my equipment just yet,
I'm currently using a Canon 6D, with a 24-105 f4 lens and a canon 70-200 f4.

Could anyone share any advice they may have to help improve my shots?

Thanks in advance.

AI Servo focus - single point centre focus point - 1000th second shutter speed and don't shake the camera, you should be fine (and throw away any blurry shots)

Sorry peter.. but I have to disagree with everything you ahve written..

just UP the ISO numbers then and shoot 'Tv' Shutter Priority and choose at least 1.500th second -

1)
Upping the ISO is bad advice if its a bright sunny afternoon and we dont even know the problem..

2)
tv shutter priority is the last mode you should use in nearly all sports.. again definitely not on a sunny day.. you want to have some control over your aperture so you dont end up with crazy settings that have the background in focus.. for semi auto Av is the way to go while watching the shutter and adjusting iso to keep the shutter speed up

3)
at least 500 shutter.... OMG :( out of the three thats the worse possible advice.. Again.. a 500 shutter on a sunny day even with your lowest iso (even though in the same breath you are told to up the iso) would give you enourmous f stop numbers..

As for the example picture.. if you ever get one like that then bin it.. perfect example of no ball no good .

Everyones guessing.. Nobody can help you unless you show us a picture.and the settings or at least tell us the settings and the conditions..

PS Most womens football is played at 2pm on a sunday afternoon....

Last edited:
AI Servo focus - single point centre focus point - 1000th second shutter speed and keep your aperture lowish and adjust ISO

AI Servo focus - single point centre focus point - 1000th second shutter speed and keep your aperture lowish and adjust ISO

How can you possibly offer that advice? on a bright sunny afternoon at 1000th shutter and at the lowest possible ISO .. what f stop do you think he will be at ? I would say far too high. why would he want to up the iso on a sunny day? how do I know its a sunny day? I dont.. but thats why i wouldnt offer settiings like that :)

We dont even know what the cause of the problem is yet..

Who said it was a bright sunny day, here in Scotland you don't get bright sunny days.

Who said it was a bright sunny day, here in Scotland you don't get bright sunny days.

who said its was not? maybe like here in NZ it was hot and there was heat hazeo_O

In the 'Good Old Days' early 1970's when I did sport for the Brentwood 'Argus' , all Letterpress and B&W HP4 film the Sports Reporter used to cut out a ball from another photo and stick it onto one with the ball missing, then the print went to block makers and came out in the paper -- 'perfec ' !!

Reminds me of spot the ball competition along with the football pools. Youngsters - don`t ask:)

In the 'Good Old Days' early 1970's when I did sport for the Brentwood 'Argus' , all Letterpress and B&W HP4 film the Sports Reporter used to cut out a ball from another photo and stick it onto one with the ball missing, then the print went to block makers and came out in the paper -- 'perfec ' !!

Still happens - I've seen award winning photographers 'mac' a ball into a pic

Back