CPL filter on cars

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Im mainly a bike man, but I planning to do a few cars events to broaden my horizions:)
I have read about not using CPL filters with cars due to the windscreens and bodywork and I have a couple of questions
1. What sort effect does it has and how noticible is it?
2. Does this apply to normal cars - I am thinking along the lines of one of these events like the Ford fair at Silverstone?

A CPL basically reduces reflections. On glass, particularly the headlights of cars you get a weird colourful effect.
Here is a shot I took the other day at the Goodwood FoS that shows the effect:

GTO Front by JDAPhotography, on Flickr

Usually the only noticeable effect is on the headlights, although sometimes you can get a weird spotty effect on windows as well. It does have the same effect on fairly modern 'normal' cars, but unsure about older ones.

Also worth remembering that with CPL's you can adjust the effect by rotating the filter.

I took a few shots at a small car show recently, specifically to see what the CPL does.
A couple of head on shots showed the effect in the headlights, but usually I adjusted the CPL to take the glare off the windscreen, or reduce the reflections down the sides.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=335261

A CPL can have quite an effect when shooting cars but the thing to remember is that it changes depending on the angle to the sun, you may have to adjust it on each shot

I did this composite shot to show how effective a CPL can be :)

polarizer.jpg

A CPL can have quite an effect when shooting cars but the thing to remember is that it changes depending on the angle to the sun, you may have to adjust it on each shot

I did this composite shot to show how effective a CPL can be :)

polarizer.jpg

(y) Well done on putting this composite together. it really demonstrates well the effect (before and after) of a polariser!

The reason for the oily effect on the headlights posted above is because the "glass" is not glass.

As I've said loads of times on here, the CPL will help if its "glass" but not polycarbonate thats used for safety reasons in most pure race machinery (as opposed to road going cars)

Back